Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Who vs Rush song clash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Baba o'Riley vs Xanadu
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
27 [47.37%]
30 [52.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Who vs Rush song clash
    Posted: October 25 2016 at 15:00
I would pick Xanadu by a hair. I absolutely admire Baba o'Riley, my favorite The Who song by far!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 15:04
I love both from first hearing, but Xanadu is in my top 10 of prog songs, so...
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 15:13
Who
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 15:50
easily not Rush
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 16:33
This time it's Rush song who gets my vote. Xanadu.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 16:57
The glorious Baba O'Reilly.  Can't argue with that gypsy violin!  (Well, sure, of course, you can, but I mean, why would you want to?)  A great song all around.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 17:03
The Who.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 17:14
Xanadu

Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 19:28
Xanadu wins in my mind. 

Edited by Enchant X - October 26 2016 at 06:46
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 20:45
I find this one difficult. I know very little The Who, and even less that I actually like a lot... but the few songs that I do like are monumental, and Baba O'Riley is one of them. However, Xanadu is also one of Rush's standout tracks too. I guess I'll give it to The Who because the song is strong all along, while for me Xanadu drags a little (of course the difference of length has got a lot to do with this).
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 20:53
Non-Rush entrant for me this time. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 23:50
Rush this time
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 00:11
This is tough!!

I'll vote for Rush after some deliberation..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Forzelius View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Forzelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 02:22
how is baba o riley prog. if you want prog from the who, should've put "the rock" or something
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 05:10
Xanadu by a nose.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 05:24
Xanadu by a honey dew
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 07:56
Xanadu, but not by much.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 12:53
Originally posted by Forzelius Forzelius wrote:

how is baba o riley prog. if you want prog from the who, should've put "the rock" or something

Baba O'Riley is Prog-Related to my ears. Ideally this poll should be in the Proto-Prog/ Prog Related forum, but poll-making was disabled there. Anyway, I voted Baba O'Riley based on my preference, great track I think, and as it has strong sentimental value for me. I would vote for "The Rock" over it, though -- I love that track and used to get goosebumps when listening to Quadrophenia and "Doctor Jimmy" would be transitioning into "The Rock".

While I like Rush's Xanadu, I'm not kidding when I say that I prefer the ELO/ Olivia Newton-John "Xanadu".
Just a fanboy passin' through.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 13:54
boo to the OP.. as a general rule The Who are lightyears above and beyond the prebubescent rawk of Rush....you would have picked the ONE Who song of note that I don't think was all that man...

voting Xanadu ..though I that is high up on the hit parade of character assignations of Peart's lyrical abilities.. errgggg... at least the music is still pretty cool..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 14:49
^I thought this a Who vs Rush vs The Clash poll. Never mind.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>