4 [26.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Four fave albums of mine from artists in PE
    Posted: October 26 2016 at 14:49
Four of my favourite albums by artists included in the Progressive Electronic category, all of which are totally essential to my collection. Multiple votes enabled, so feel free to vote for more than one album.

Youtube vids for those who have not heard all of them or need to refresh memories.

Edited by Logan - October 26 2016 at 15:16
Just a fanboy passin' through.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 15:30
Out of those four Igor.
Magma America Great Make Again
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 17:40
Bob
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 21:28
My mental powers are on the ascent as I would have predicted both of your choices. I don't usually vote in my own polls as it seems pointless to choose between my particular favourites, but this time I opted to vote for all four albums. Forced to choose one, though, I would have chosen the Zanov today.

Edited by Logan - October 26 2016 at 21:30
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 21:30
Have heard none of these, will try to listen to all four-
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2016 at 10:20
Only heard the first and third, and Igor is definitely the more enjoyable.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 07:47
I'd vote for the four of em if it wasn't for Leprino being one vote behind. I decided to show him some love and thereby equalling the score. I am not sure I can or indeed want to chose between these albums. All are masterpieces in their own right and perhaps more importantly in their own way. Who says every prog electronic on PA sounds like Margarine Fiend? Those folks should indeed dip their toes into either of these.
Span Lucifer Rising here the other day and felt like I should've done so whilst serenading a sunset with a sexy yoga salute. Satan may be the recipient but he probably needs all the yoga he can get his hands on.

Btw have you checked out Zanov's recent albums Greg? Talk about Margarine Fiend...

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 28 2016 at 07:48
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 08:04
I'll go with Green Ray. By the way, Zanov announced today it will be reissued on CD Thumbs Up
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 09:49
^ That is good.

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'd vote for the four of em if it wasn't for Leprino being one vote behind. I decided to show him some love and thereby equalling the score. I am not sure I can or indeed want to chose between these albums. All are masterpieces in their own right and perhaps more importantly in their own way. Who says every prog electronic on PA sounds like Margarine Fiend? Those folks should indeed dip their toes into either of these.
Span Lucifer Rising here the other day and felt like I should've done so whilst serenading a sunset with a sexy yoga salute. Satan may be the recipient but he probably needs all the yoga he can get his hands on.

Btw have you checked out Zanov's recent albums Greg? Talk about Margarine Fiend...

Very nicely expressed per usual, David. :)

A lot of people do not explore Prog Electronic beyond Tangerine Dream and f[r]riends. Love TD, just saying, and even then don't know the earlier TD albums.

Gratuitous Doctor Who "Last Christmas" reference (which involved people being in a dream state due to alien dreamcrab face-huggers which they had to wake up from or die): Santa Claus: "Be sure to save some room for a tangerine, Doctor." The Doctor: "Nobody likes the tangerines." I've been wanting to mention Tangerine Dreamcrabs for quite a while....

I only know his early ones -- the first three. Becel Beelzebub or not, I will check out the later ones and see how the mighty may have fallen into an infernal tub of imitation butter, or lapsed into a Tangerine Dreamcrab-state.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 10:38
Thanks man (bar the typos and missing words that is;)
I think you're right about most people and their relationship with PE. Tangerine Dream pretty much rule supreme together with Jarre and maybe just maybe a dash of Schulze (funny thing is, there wouldn't have been a Jarre if it weren't for the other two. Jean Michel basically "stole" TD and Schulze's sound and made them more melodic but also far more conform and uninteresting to these ears).
People should go check out an album like Wunderbar or maybe a little Tacet (hoho) and most definitely the three albums featured in this poll.

Define 'earlier albums' btw! If you haven't checked out Alpha Centauri I'd very much recommend you go do so. One of my faves from TD.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 10:40
I have yet to see an episode of Dr Who... I know something's weong with me.
...but thanks for the quote anyway - went down like a treat. I am stealing Dreamcrab-state. Love that word!

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 10:51

I think you're right about most people and their relationship with PE. Tangerine Dream pretty much rule supreme together with Jarre and maybe just maybe a dash of Schulze (funny thing is, there wouldn't have been a Jarre if it weren't for the other two. Jean Michel basically "stole" TD and Schulze's sound and made them more melodic but also far more conform and uninteresting to these ears).
People should go check out an album like Wunderbar or maybe a little Tacet (hoho) and most definitely the three albums featured in this poll.

Define 'earlier albums' btw! If you haven't checked out Alpha Centauri I'd very much recommend you go do so. One of my faves from TD.

Michael Hoenig's Departure From the Northern Wasteland is another great Berlin school album, that, in my opinion, is different from Klaus Schulze or Tangerine Dream and still a bit underrated. Very eloquent, aesthetic music. I've heard somewhere here on PA that Hoenig had a short-lived project Timewind with Schulze, but they were two different personalities. Hoenig had every cable marked with a different colored tape and stuck with fully-composed material, while Schulze preferd improvisation, picking a rather spontaneous approach to his music. It would still be fascinating how the two sounded together.

Myself, I have symbolically voted for Zanov first, but Docteur Faust is also fabulous and, in retrospect, much more original. The other two are new discoveries, so thanks a ton for the thread! Smile

Edited by ALotOfBottle - October 28 2016 at 10:54
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 10:51
^^^ It makes me cringe when people claim that Jarre and Kraftwerk are the inventors of electronic music Dead

Edited by Meltdowner - October 28 2016 at 10:52
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 11:01
Doctor Who is fun, and sometimes quite brilliant. Favourite episode: "Heaven Sent". Considering how many years it's been going, I might be reluctant to try it. I started on Games of Thrones recently, but it's intimidating just how much I have to catch up on.

I badly edited my sentence after typing it. I know the early TD abums, and traditionally the albums up to Atem are my favourites, but more recently I got into the later ones. I meant to say that many people do not explore Prog Electronic beyond Tangerine Dream and f[r]riends, and even then they don't know the early TD albums. For various people I know, TD seemed to begin at Phaedra (which was also my first TD album). I like Alpha Centauri a lot. The album that really turned me onto TD initially was the debut. I think one reason why say Zeit is not that highly rated is because so many got to know and appreciate later TD such as Rubycon and Statosfear first.

Edited by Logan - October 28 2016 at 11:03
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 11:07
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Michael Hoenig's Departure From the Northern Wasteland is another great Berlin school album, that, in my opinion, is different from Klaus Schulze or Tangerine Dream and still a bit underrated. Very eloquent, aesthetic music. I've heard somewhere here on PA that Hoenig had a short-lived project Timewind with Schulze, but they were two different personalities. Hoenig had every cable marked with a different colored tape and stuck with fully-composed material, while Schulze preferd improvisation, picking a rather spontaneous approach to his music. It would still be fascinating how the two sounded together.

Myself, I have symbolically voted for Zanov first, but Docteur Faust is also fabulous and, in retrospect, much more original. The other two are new discoveries, so thanks a ton for the thread! Smile

I think that's the other way around;) Hoenig is (in)famous for not being able to improvise...at least not in his solo work - I think he did some interesting work with Agitation Free, especially on the debut.
I know a lot of people who absolutely adore Wasteland - many whom I share a lot of common with regarding taste, yet I havd personally never really like it that much.
One of my favourite reviewers Michael (Neu!mann) wrote an excellent review of it, which pretty much says what I want to say: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=672048

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 11:21
Tough choice. All are good, no .... very good, no ... excellent ! My Latin soul whispers me to vote for Leprino, but tonight I feel attracted by the look of Igor.

Marty Feldman as Igor, in Young Frankenstein (Mel Brooks film).
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 12:02
Haven't even heard of any of these bands. Looks like I have some catching up to do
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 12:39

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

I think that's the other way around;) Hoenig is (in)famous for not being able to improvise...at least not in his solo work - I think he did some interesting work with Agitation Free, especially on the debut.
I know a lot of people who absolutely adore Wasteland - many whom I share a lot of common with regarding taste, yet I havd personally never really like it that much.
One of my favourite reviewers Michael (Neu!mann) wrote an excellent review of it, which pretty much says what I want to say: http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=672048

All I can say is that it's nothing but a matter of personal taste. I do love improvised progressive electronic music and it is very close to my heart. But, the tidyness and something that seems to owe a great deal to classical music in Wasteland really appeals to me.

I hope that you won't mind, I'll just allow myself to throw in one more title that I like and think deserves to be mentioned in this thread. Biomechanoid by Joel Vandroogenbroeck (formerly of Brainticket) is an excellent release. H.R. Giger artwork reflects the music unbelieveably well.

I'm listening to this Franco Leprino album at the moment and I think I'm falling in love. Smile
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 13:21
Glad you like it -- I fell very hard for that album. I have heard sample or two of Biomechanoid before (love Brainticket) and just listened to a couple of tracks. I loved the rather more conventional "Lost Planet" off it. And please do talk about any albums, or musical expressions you like, and whatever. People talking about other albums in polls I've made is how I've made some of the best discoveries.

Right now I'm listening to an album included in Krautrock that I think would have complemented this poll nicely, Cozmic Corridors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syy-nC7Oyo8

Edited by Logan - October 28 2016 at 13:27
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 17:43
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^^^ It makes me cringe when people claim that Jarre and Kraftwerk are the inventors of electronic music Dead

You've never met anyone who thinks Gary Numan started it all.Shocked
Magma America Great Make Again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>