Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRelayer vs Larks Tongues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
44 [43.14%]
58 [56.86%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2017 at 11:11
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Two of the best albums ever released.

Yes by the slightest of margins...

This !
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 11:52
Yes is probably my favorite band but I went with Lark's Tongues. I never really liked Relayer that much.

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 12:23
Relayer gets my vote.  It's my 2nd fave Yes album (behind TFTO) where I love most of the songs on LTIA but much prefer the live versions Wink
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 05:13
Other than cha cha cha cha cha Relayer is near perfect. LTIA is also near perfect. Lucky it wasn't Red...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 21:10
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Other than cha cha cha cha cha Relayer is near perfect. LTIA is also near perfect. Lucky it wasn't Red...

Just replace Larks Tongues part 1 with the new version played by the current incarnation of the band, and I agree with the near perfect status of the album. Though I also like Easy Money much better live, though that one works just fine with the versions they were playing back in the time. Exiles is another one I do like live too, from back in the time (it sounded heavier and more less subdued), but the studio version is perfectly beautiful anyway. The one that I just don't like much is Book of Saturday, but that one is short enough that it doesn't really harm the album.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 21:27
Very close for me but probably relayer. Two very wild albums though and also two of my all time favorites. 
Ruby900 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 14:33
Virtually impossible to decide between! But I eventually I went for Relayer.........
"I always say that it’s about breaking the rules. But the secret of breaking rules in a way that works is understanding what the rules are in the first place". Rick Wakeman
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 16:17
How is Relayer not winning? It is one of Yes' very best albums imo(and that's saying a lot!) 

Edited by YESESIS - August 09 2017 at 16:24
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 21:02
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

How is Relayer not winning? It is one of Yes' very best albums imo(and that's saying a lot!) 

Well, Larks Tongues is one of King Crimson's best albums too. I myself prefer Relayer, but just because of Gates of Delirium (even though the live symphonic version is so much better in my opinion). Among your King Crimson attempts, have you already heard this album? If you like Relayer and Karn Evil 9, then this might be the one to finally get into them. The 3 pieces seem rather similar to me in aproach (besides, Larks already has Bill Bruford on drums... even if he shares them with the mad man Muir).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 21:07
I love both (5 star albums) - I have to say, now my opinion probably means jack-knackers to everyone else, but, I LOVE the production of Lark's Tongues. To me, for the time, is immaculate. Love, love, love it.
Love Relayer as well, though Howe is a bit sloppy to my ears, though I know he's playing incredibly difficult and challenging guitar parts - part of his charm. And, Relayer's production isn't as 'bang-on' to my ears........
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2017 at 19:13
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, Larks Tongues is one of King Crimson's best albums too. I myself prefer Relayer, but just because of Gates of Delirium (even though the live symphonic version is so much better in my opinion). Among your King Crimson attempts, have you already heard this album? If you like Relayer and Karn Evil 9, then this might be the one to finally get into them. The 3 pieces seem rather similar to me in aproach (besides, Larks already has Bill Bruford on drums... even if he shares them with the mad man Muir).

Yeah I listened to it. Overall I thought it was pretty good. But there are some really slow parts like the first track there is a long time of just violin(or some similar instrument), and then like a couple songs later right at the beginning of the song I was thinking.. "ok are they going to get into it here or what." But again, taken as a whole I did think it was good but.. better than Relayer? no. I'm sorry but no. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2017 at 21:11

Yeah I listened to it. Overall I thought it was pretty good. But there are some really slow parts like the first track there is a long time of just violin(or some similar instrument), and then like a couple songs later right at the beginning of the song I was thinking.. "ok are they going to get into it here or what." But again, taken as a whole I did think it was good but.. better than Relayer? no. I'm sorry but no. 

I guess it's indeed violin what you heard. Or Mellotron. They had a violin player on this line-up. And indeed, it's mostly the first song that won't allow me to love this album, for that middle section in which nothing seems to be happening. However, they have been playing that song live in their current tour, with Mel Collins on sax and flute, and through that section he included some cool jazzy flutes that really fix the song for me... plus, it's being played heavier and more menacing. However, Exiles is one of their more beautiful songs... if you are liking the ones on the debut, this one should work just fine as well, and Easy Money is nice, but much better live too (actually, I do like Exiles live better also). And Larks Tongues part 2 is just awsome, with some really mean riffs and violins (that part in which David Cross seems to be torturing the poor instrument), and the interplay between Bruford and Muir is just awsome... there are some other heavier versions of the song, but on this one I prefer the studio one.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 02:33

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Larks I guess.

Not my fave albums by either artist, but there are parts of Relayer which irritate me.

Cha cha cha?

Indeed..

Although I've been plaing Relayer a lot in the last week and enjoying it more than ever before. Sound Chaser is the weakest track on the album. Moments of excellence, but overall it's like a selection of unrelate ideas forgedut of jam sessions, and stuck together without much thought for flow or continuity. Filler? Maybe I wouldn't go that far, but it feels like little consideration was given to how it came across to the listener, but then some people love it, so it works for them I guess.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 16:05
Relayer has good and average moments, but so does Larks. But Larks is better
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 21:04

Larks I guess.

Not my fave albums by either artist, but there are parts of Relayer which irritate me.

Cha cha cha?

Indeed..

Although I've been plaing Relayer a lot in the last week and enjoying it more than ever before. Sound Chaser is the weakest track on the album. Moments of excellence, but overall it's like a selection of unrelate ideas forgedut of jam sessions, and stuck together without much thought for flow or continuity. Filler? Maybe I wouldn't go that far, but it feels like little consideration was given to how it came across to the listener, but then some people love it, so it works for them I guess.

As I remember, the live version of Soundchaser that appears on The Word is Live set is better than the studio one... however, it still has it's Cha cha cha's, and well, it's still not my favourite Yes song... but at least I did enjoy it a bit more.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 09:30
LTIA.....haven't played Relayer in a long time.....should revisit it.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 13:08
Larks has Wetton using bass wah so it's not a very fair comparison for me.

Edited by HemispheresOfXanadu - August 12 2017 at 13:09
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 17:28
Yes is my jam (especially Relayer), but Lark's Tongue is on a completely different level.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2018 at 17:55
Relayer blows Larks' Tongues away
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

irrelevant View Drop Down