Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Steven Wilson - Melbourne, Australia 28-10-2016
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson - Melbourne, Australia 28-10-2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Wilson - Melbourne, Australia 28-10-2016
    Posted: October 28 2016 at 19:35
STEVEN WILSON - October 28th 2016, Melbourne, Australia

Last night, Melbourne Australia was privileged to witness modern progressive music icon Steven Wilson's sublime sold-out performance at Billboard the Venue.

A three hour show split over two sets, he initially played his recent `Hand. Cannot. Erase' album in its entirety, and to say that the album completely comes alive in a live environment would be an extreme understatement. The power and poise with which Wilson performed, alongside his backing band that included Nick Beggs (Mute Gods, Iona, and 80's pop group Kajagoogoo) and his thunderous bass, jazz keyboard player Adam Holzman, guitarist David Kilminster (Roger Waters, John Wetton and Keith Emerson touring bands, Mantra Vega, and plenty more) and powerhouse drummer Craig Blundell (who played on Neo-prog figurehead Pendragon's last studio album `Men Who Climb Mountains'), insured a first-rate concert experience.

The second set saw a choice selection of material from Wilson's previous three solo works, a welcome dip into his recent `4 1/2' mini-album, and much-loved Porcupine Tree material such as `Dark Matter', `Lazarus', `Sound of Muzak' (could the lyrics of that song be any more relevant now than ever before in the current musical environment?) and `Don't Hate Me', a new interpretation that had lengthy ambient ethereal improvised sections with Wilson adding some droning and hypnotic Glissando guitar effect (well, parts of the original always reminded of the classic period of Gong!), making it perhaps the definitive version to date, and Adam's keyboard noodling (replacing the absent Theo Travis' sax) gave the piece an unexpected grooving quality!

There was also a surprisingly effective cover of Prince's `Sign of the Times' that was completely respectable and fit in quite nicely with the sound of the rest of the show.

Steven himself was in a frequently jovial and insightful mood, even joking about the public perception of him being frequently considered (in his own choice words!) a `miserable f*ck'! He also spoke very passionately and intelligently about artists such as David Bowie and Prince, considering them some of the last examples of constantly evolving/experimenting musical artists that had mainstream success, the likes of which we'll probably never see again with the way the industry is these days. He also discussed that same 70's/80's era where artists were frequently putting out new works on an often yearly basis, and his interest over the worth of exploring complete discographies of artists, covering both highs and lows, because seeing that journey and progression was completely fascinating and rewarding. His light-hearted dig at Tool taking `50 years between albums, for something that will likely sound pretty much just like the last one' also brought massive approval from the crowd!

Along with the exceptional production/lighting/visual effects, the show proved that Steven just keeps taking things to the next level, and he's a revelation for those who appreciate artistic intelligence in music that remains melodic and mostly accessible.

No doubt everyone was in agreement over what an incredible show it was to witness, so let's hope it's not too long before Mr Wilson and company return to Australia!

Michael Hodgson.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2016 at 22:46
Some additional (amazing!) photos from front-row lady extraordinaire Anne Corris, thank you for your permission to post these, Anne!

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2016 at 07:08
god I'd kill for his hair.....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 23:35
^ I'd kill for Nick's hair !!   
Quite possibly the best gig I've witnessed !!
(Hi Mike !!)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 23:55
Hey buddy, great doing time with you again down here, one of the best weekends I've had in a long time. Amazing concert, good company, and a pretty fruitful record fair as a bonus!

Though I was saying to Samuel on Facebook that I wish we'd gotten a photo together... Next time....when our concert-going prog show paths cross!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2016 at 14:17
Great review Mike! Clap I have seen him twice, the music, vibe, performance and attention to detail are excellent.
For sure what he has been doing in the world of prog these past several years has been refreshing and his love of what artists like Prince/Bowie stood for is very cool.

Did you pick up any cool stuff at the record fair?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2016 at 23:34
@ Mike - the gig was wonderful - one of the best I've witnessed. Great to see Nick in action !!
Though it was brief, the excitement level was high, and sorry for being 'eager-beaver' to fit in several years of life into a few, fleeting hours.......... Perhaps when the proposed Hackett gig comes to fruition.......
Jose - the record fairs aren't the same as they used to be........Michael picked up quite a few, I only came across 3. Glad I got The Dillinger Escape Plan's debut !! Plain bonkers
Highlights of the gig for me - Ancestral and Don't Hate Me. I did capture DHM on my iPod, no matter how standard quality my filming was.............I wish I caught Ancestral coz the band just went totally nuts during the heavier 2nd half, but my arms got tired of holding this crappy (but valuable) device above my head !!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 09:37
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

@ Mike - the gig was wonderful - one of the best I've witnessed. Great to see Nick in action !!
Though it was brief, the excitement level was high, and sorry for being 'eager-beaver' to fit in several years of life into a few, fleeting hours.......... Perhaps when the proposed Hackett gig comes to fruition.......
Jose - the record fairs aren't the same as they used to be........Michael picked up quite a few, I only came across 3. Glad I got The Dillinger Escape Plan's debut !! Plain bonkers
Highlights of the gig for me - Ancestral and Don't Hate Me. I did capture DHM on my iPod, no matter how standard quality my filming was.............I wish I caught Ancestral coz the band just went totally nuts during the heavier 2nd half, but my arms got tired of holding this crappy (but valuable) device above my head !!!

Ha...you need to post that video. When we saw him he played a more metal version of Sleep Together, that song was brutally good!! Wife and I were front row for both his shows in 2012 and 2015.

Have not been record shopping in quite some time, really just been spinning all I have and enjoying it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 09:57
Jose, I'll be sure to post my pick-ups in the `Vinyl' thread over the next few days, got a pretty diverse and interesting selection at this recent fair!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 13:20
I really need to learn how to upload the footage so that others can enjoy it.......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 13:26
How about Youtube, Tom?

Although to be fair, I've never uploaded any footage to that site myself, so no idea if it's easy or hard to do?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2016 at 20:58
You can upload the video to MS One Drive and post a link for us to view it.....I have never done a YT video.

Looking forward to your post Mike....
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2016 at 21:30
Hi,

Very nice show here in Portland as well, and it was a bit more on the rock side of things than it was on the trip side of things (the PT way!), and it was fine. The band was strong, with Steven in fine shape, even on his birthday ... Nick pretty much getting a lot of attention with some very strong bass playing, and DK also standing up very well. Keyboards and Drums were fine, although I do not think that an analog solo or two was required at all, but what the heck ... it kinda took the trip out of it for me some, and made it just a song ... but that's rock music nowadays!

All in all, very fine show, and good quality performance with the music at hand. AND, for once, in Portland, you could actually hear the keyboards ... Portland is known for burying keyboards!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2016 at 11:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Very nice show here in Portland as well, and it was a bit more on the rock side of things than it was on the trip side of things (the PT way!), and it was fine. The band was strong, with Steven in fine shape, even on his birthday ... Nick pretty much getting a lot of attention with some very strong bass playing, and DK also standing up very well. Keyboards and Drums were fine, although I do not think that an analog solo or two was required at all, but what the heck ... it kinda took the trip out of it for me some, and made it just a song ... but that's rock music nowadays!

All in all, very fine show, and good quality performance with the music at hand. AND, for once, in Portland, you could actually hear the keyboards ... Portland is known for burying keyboards!

I had tixs lined up for that show but fell thru at last minute, really good seats too.......Work always gets in the way! Angry
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2016 at 11:54
Ha, never faked a sickie at work to go to a concert, Jose?!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2016 at 14:33
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I'm a good boy.......Star
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2016 at 00:17
^ Gawd, even I find it difficult to pull a sickie..........
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2016 at 16:51
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Should have let me know ... you could have stayed here ... no couch, but I have enough sleeping bags, cushions and what not. 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2016 at 07:08
My friends and I are going in mass to see Steven tonight in Dallas.  with a Pineapple Thief appetizer!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2016 at 10:29
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

My friends and I are going in mass to see Steven tonight in Dallas.  with a Pineapple Thief appetizer!

I hate you....and ur friends.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>