Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [16.22%]
20 [54.05%]
11 [29.73%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70's Jethro Tull bass player
    Posted: October 30 2016 at 09:01
Starting in 1968 until 1979 Jethro Tull have 3 bass players: 
Who is best for you ?
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 09:11
Mr. Hammond, followed distantly by Cornick.
PROGMATIC
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 09:23
Glascock was the most talented, but I would have to pick Hammond -- one of the most entertaining bassists I've ever seen.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 09:27
Hammond followed by Glascock .
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 09:39
John Glasscock.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 09:45
Hammond.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 18:43
Jeffrey
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HosiannaMantra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 18:46
All quite interesting, but I feel Glenn Cornick was the thing for Jethro Tull, while John Glascock was the thing for Carmen.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 20:40
I can't pick one because I love them all for different reasons. I do have a special appreciation for Jeffrey though. He's such an enigma. By some accounts not a musician at all, by others a great bass player. By my own ears a solid bass player with excellent timing though perhaps unremarkable technique. By my own eyes a showman nearly outshining Ian himself, able to play complicated bass parts while leaping across the stage. I've even questioned whether he was really playing, or was he miming while someone else played hidden backstage? But how could he get away with that and be so convincing? I've read interviews with Martin who said he had to be taught bass parts by strapping a drumstick to his shoe so it would hit a drum on the 2 and 4 instead of the 1 and 3 or he couldn't follow the beat. How do you go from that to playing Thick as a Brick live in front of millions of people? Enigma, I tell you.

I guess I just picked Jeffrey didn't I?
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2016 at 21:36
As much as I think the Anderson/Barre/Evan/Palmer/Glascock/Barlow lineup was the best, I have bit of a soft spot for Jeffery. After all, he was the bassist on Brick. Cornick was also good. Heck, every musician in Tull up to and including Stormwatch were masters at their craft.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 06:09
love all 3  but

Cornick
Prog On!
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HosiannaMantra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 08:25
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

I can't pick one because I love them all for different reasons. I do have a special appreciation for Jeffrey though. He's such an enigma. By some accounts not a musician at all, by others a great bass player. By my own ears a solid bass player with excellent timing though perhaps unremarkable technique. By my own eyes a showman nearly outshining Ian himself, able to play complicated bass parts while leaping across the stage. I've even questioned whether he was really playing, or was he miming while someone else played hidden backstage? But how could he get away with that and be so convincing? I've read interviews with Martin who said he had to be taught bass parts by strapping a drumstick to his shoe so it would hit a drum on the 2 and 4 instead of the 1 and 3 or he couldn't follow the beat. How do you go from that to playing Thick as a Brick live in front of millions of people? Enigma, I tell you.

I guess I just picked Jeffrey didn't I?

Is there any particular video where his antics are visible? LOL
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 08:43
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

As much as I think the Anderson/Barre/Evan/Palmer/Glascock/Barlow lineup was the best, I have bit of a soft spot for Jeffery. After all, he was the bassist on Brick. Cornick was also good. Heck, every musician in Tull up to and including Stormwatch were masters at their craft.

On Stormwatch on all (but two) songs, Ian plays the bass. Very load and with plectrum. I don't really like it. Although the album itself is great.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 08:57
It's Hammond! Not as talented as the other two. bass-wise, but easily the most all around interesting of the three.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 10:13
I mean...it has to be Hammond.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 10:33
John Glascock.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stegor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 11:13
Jeffrey!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 16:51
Glenn Cornick's bass line's wrapped the rhythm, provided counter point and paved the way for what lay ahead. (Spot subtle pun). Voted for this guy, not so much out of some "simplistic" best but he was a perfect jazz playing rock bassist to help complete Jethro Toe's sonic identity.

John Glascock was a fine player, a guy whose mix of invention and convention brought a lot to Tull. No wonder IA was distressed to lose him.

JHH. Enigma. Yes indeed. I think he had incredible talent (bass line in Aqualung's guitar break f'r instance) but not the lasting interest in music itself. Probably hated the business which is very understandable.

Not forgetting their incredible drummers either.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 17:20
Hammond-Hammond.  

I saw him on the TAAB and Minstrel tours, brilliant bassist!  All over the stage! 

Cornick opened for TAAB with Wild Turkey, he is also fantastic.  No slouches in Ian's bands, ever.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 19:10
Glen Cornick
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>