Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems, problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 09:18
^I have not had that error....yet.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 10:14
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

For the last couple of days I keep receiving the following error message when accessing album's pages on the DB

"Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0 error '80004005'

Transaction (Process ID 600) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

/artist.asp, line 13 "

Is it only me ?
 I wonder if any OS update (or other change on my PC I'm not aware of) is responsible - or else was it some modification on the site ...
Any clarification would be useful, thanks for your answers.

It keeps happening, now more as a rule than as an exception - again, are you experiencing the same ? It could be widely useful to understand if it's a site problem...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 10:33
I get that when I click on the album image but not when I click on the title.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 10:39
Really ???? Makes no difference to me, just checked to confirm.
How long do you notice this, for me it's about a week now and seems to be getting worse Angry
(another inconvenience to bring us down, it seems...)
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 12:02
Just checked, doesn't make a difference what I click on but I get the error about 30% of the time. It's been going about a week or so.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - January 20 2018 at 12:03
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 12:05
I, too, have gotten it from time to time lately. 30% of the time sounds about right.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 13:08
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

For the last couple of days I keep receiving the following error message when accessing album's pages on the DB

"Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 11.0 error '80004005'

Transaction (Process ID 600) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.

/artist.asp, line 13 "

Is it only me ?
 I wonder if any OS update (or other change on my PC I'm not aware of) is responsible - or else was it some modification on the site ...
Any clarification would be useful, thanks for your answers.

I get the same message too.  Only on Progarchives, so I know its not my computer.   Whenever I click into a band or a genre I usually get the message.  After I rerun the transaction it lets me through 85% of the time, however 15% of the time I receive the message again.  

Edited by omphaloskepsis - January 20 2018 at 13:09
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 13:11
I almost wished it was only me, at least there was a chance to be able to repair on my own...
Now, I'm just guessing, but which browser are you guys using - mine is Firefox 56 (with NoScript, Mcafee WebAdvisor, Colorful Tabs and Download StatusBar add-ons), could this somehow be the culprit ?
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 14:01
I've been getting it too over the last couple of days when visiting album pages or band/artist entries. I'm using Chrome browser, with McAfee WebAdvisor, but no other add-ons. Again, it only happens with progarchives, and no other sites, so almost certainly not a local problem with my computer.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 15:24
Yes, but only the first album I try to access, then it stops for the test of my session.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 16:02
Just tested and I'm getting it consistently right now...noticed it a couple days ago as well Ouch
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2018 at 16:23
Now I am getting the error, started yesterday, worse today.  Occurred on iPhone and on Windows 7 laptop using Google Chrome.  First Crapcha, now this....  :(
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 05:18
Good News - for two hours now I'm not getting any error message - let's hope for the best, it was really annoying / time consuming / nerve wrecking (Ufffffff........)
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 09:49
Bad News are back
Four more hours have passed with intense use of the DB and now the error made an unexpected comeback
Provisional conclusion to be made: all points to the cause being on the site, not a permanent situation but dependent on some condition that varies with time ... volume of user traffic creating some kind of bottleneck ? m@x doing some update / backup / whatever ?
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 09:58
Sounds like the kind of thing that might clear up with a simple server reboot.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 10:55
From my limited understanding it's a relatively common database error, but there should be an error handler in the SQL code that retries the transaction a certain number of times if it fails.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2018 at 11:47
Hummmm, makes sense - which means it's out of our reach Cry
M@@@@@@@x, are you there?
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 07:01
I just replied to the "deadlock" matter on another thread. 

I'm an ex database administrator, on Oracle, not SQL server, which is what this site is hosted on. However, the same principles apply as Oracle and SQL (and most relational databases) operate in much the same way. 

When a query to a database object fails.... ie, when you try to look something up and the network drops, for example, you end up with a lock. Locks are part of DBA life, the database basically marks data as "not writeable" for a while as it stops multiple data updates to the same location. You get a certain number of locks available to the system.

Normally, a background process clears up locked data after a while, but in some cases, if you get lots of locks, the background process has failed or a serious lock occurs. If you get shed loads of locks, the DBA intervenes, overrides the manual process and does it all manually. Except Prog Archives won't have a DBA looking after it, it costs too much. 

Since lots of locks are occurring, a sensible thing to do is for the ISP to (a) shut the SQL server database down and then (b) re-start it. This should resolve all the locks. Probably. ;-)

Longer you leave a locking up database, worse it gets. I'd schedule in an auto shutdown / reboot of the database at least once a fortnight, to be honest. That's easy to do. 

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 07:09
Thanks a lot for the explanation, Dave - let's hope someone with enough power (?) reads this and acts ...
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 07:22
No chance. ;-)

Prog Archives will be hosted on a small(ish) SQL server database in an ISP's server room. There will be a very large number of servers hosting masses of websites and databases. No DBA. DBA's cost big money and are solely for "mission critical" database systems. I used to work for IKEA, Maersk Sealand, Seawheel, the UK NHS Service, and for people who paid thousands per month for an expert to keep an eye on their data. 

So no one will be looking. 

Whoever owns the site can request a database reboot, of course. They'll hardly fall over themselves at the ISP unless the site is completely down and they may lose money. 

This is an almost inevitable progression of databases. As they get older and more bloated with rubbish, and rarely rebooted, internal errors occur, locks start mounting up, performance starts decreasing. So it goes. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 15>