Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems, problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 07:26
Thinking about it, and I'd have to say that this is conjecture, it could be why Captchas fail. 

The system has become internally slow that since no reply comes back from the database in good time, that the Captcha code times out. 

I can't be sure of it, but I'd almost bet money on it. 

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 07:38
good explanations, Sir!

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 08:09
I hope so, I used to get paid a lot of money to explain why someone's database was in the crapper. ;-)

Basically, live with it until the next server reboot. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - January 25 2018 at 08:10

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 07:31
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

... Whoever owns the site can request a database reboot, of course... 

That's what I had in mind - giving more visibility to our exchange here could eventually lead to M@x attention - let's keep it alive, then, right?
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 07:53
REBOOT!  REBOOT!  REBOOT!
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 08:25
Be careful what you wish for. 

We did some consultancy work for a big hospital Trust here in the UK. Four of us went in, feeling we had to give them some value for money. "Let's do some database changes", said the bloke who I worked with, "then we'll reboot it and it should run faster."

Actually, it didn't. Blank screen, wouldn't start up again. NHS Trust with no patient information system, no Radiology records, no A&E... whooooooooops. 

This is why DBA's get paid so much. There's four of us in the board room with the Trust directors. A bit of an atmosphere develops as the minutes tick away. Databases this size take time to start up, so for every attempt, 15 minutes can pass. I'm the junior team member, so I shut up until an hour's gone by, and several of the Directors are going to go bang any moment. I point out that the Oracle control files have become unsynchronised on power down. Known problem with some databases, this one hasn't been rebooted for years. So we check, yep, timestamp out on one control file, delete it and copy another one over, rename the files, power on, works. 

Tons of stories like this. This is why you need a DBA looking after databases, to be honest. This isn't a "mission critical" database, so it won't be monitored. It's an old database. SQL Server doesn't operate like Oracle but every time you power off / power on a database, there's an element of risk. 

That's why DBA's burn out - three and a half year lifespan, typically. I lasted eight years. I ain't going back. ;-)

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2018 at 04:06
Epic stories you must have retained from those years, for sure; I once did a little SQL and loved it tbh, but that only lasted 3 years coincidentally Big smile
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 07:21
Could this be ?
- 48 hours with no DB access error !
- Captcha lighter than ever !
... (holding my breath Clown)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 11:01
No captchas for me either....but then again that is two or three posts done over my iPhone, so yeah....I dare not turn on my laptop for then to face disappointment yet again. I've been over the moon a couple of times during the last year or so believing captcha had died and we were back to normal again. Then reality reared its ugly head and I had to identify cars like a champ again.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2018 at 13:38
Captcha is biting me today. The SQL DB error was actually embedded in the "Most Popular Album" object on the front page. 
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 14:56
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Could this be ?
- 48 hours with no DB access error !
- Captcha lighter than ever !
... (holding my breath Clown)

24 hours more and still holding my breath - what about you guys, crapcha & DB errors gone for good ?

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 15:12
I turned on my laptop today made 4 posts and had to wade through captcha after captcha, so no it's still here in full force
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 15:59
Makes no sense, as always Thumbs Down (but 3 days in a row and I'm still getting no cars, store fronts, whatever...good for me...till when?)
...and what about the DB access error, guys & gals, do you still get  any ?
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote condor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2018 at 11:10
Why can't I post new threads?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2018 at 23:54
Sometimes, when I go to some certain thread (last time this happend a moment ago in vinyl-thread) there is coming some downloading into my computer that is said to be possibly harmful and I always block it. When I go to another page of that same thread that thing is not happening. Does someone knows what it is? Do some member try to send viruses to others? Does that happen to anyone else?
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 02:38
You're doing the right thing, just block it and be cool
It happened to me a few times also,  if I remember well it has to do with some bad formatation of a post with embedded links (the intention of its author can only be guessed, online one never can know for sure, right?)
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 02:53
Yeah, its definitely not a spontaneous free music download, so it gets blocked.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 03:11
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

You're doing the right thing, just block it and be cool
It happened to me a few times also,  if I remember well it has to do with some bad formatation of a post with embedded links (the intention of its author can only be guessed, online one never can know for sure, right?)
Ok, thanks!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2018 at 08:36
It's embedded videos that does it. The forum software doesn't handle a lot of video links properly, so instead of embedding the video on the page the browser tries to download it instead. It's not harmful, just incredibly annoying.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2018 at 20:30
Its the only forum I visit that any of this happens to me.......Captcha, downloading harmful files and so on.

Crazy.....keeps me away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>