Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAtom Heart Mother Vs Echoes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 08:38
Hi,

AHM.

Echoes, in some ways, is almost a copy of AHM ... a bit more rock oriented than what AHM was. Of course, Roger will tell you that Echoes is more important, because they get paid for it, and they don't have to share 10 cents with Ron Geesin, who is probably more responsible for AHM than PF was.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 09:36
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

AHM.

Echoes, in some ways, is almost a copy of AHM ... a bit more rock oriented than what AHM was. Of course, Roger will tell you that Echoes is more important, because they get paid for it, and they don't have to share 10 cents with Ron Geesin, who is probably more responsible for AHM than PF was.

IIRC, another quibble Roger (and Nick Mason) had was that the suite had some performance issues, specifically that they had to do the rhythm section in one go, due to EMI not allowing the band to go back and edit parts that didn't cut the mustard. As a result, some tempo issues crop up from time to time.

While "Atom Heart Mother" isn't quite the polished number that "Echoes" is, I think this lack of polish gives the piece a charm of its own.

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - November 14 2016 at 09:37
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Kimdino View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2016 at 19:41
'Six of one' or 'half a dozen' of the other. Each is special in its own way and I would refuse to choose between them. All I can say that, IMO, the greatest possible Floyd album would have 'Echoes' on one side and 'Atom Heart Mother' on the other, and they would both be A sides. But perhaps that would be TOO much of a good thing.

Edited by Kimdino - November 18 2016 at 21:14
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2016 at 21:11
Originally posted by Kimdino Kimdino wrote:

'Six of one' or 'half a dozen' of the other. Each is special in its own way and I would refuse to choose between them. All I can say that, IMO, the greatest possible Floyd album would have 'Echoes' on one side and 'Atom Heart Mother' on the other. But perhaps that would be TOO much of a good thing.

My choice for a greatest Floyd album, in the sense I understand you, would be "Echoes", "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" and "Dogs". It might not fit an LP format, but it would fit nicely on a CD.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 04:46
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Well, it's not Pink Floyd nor Pompeii but it's still epic as hell Big smile

Thanks man I thoroughly enjoyed that. Very very close to the original maybe bar the inexplicable Floyd-essence that nobody but the band themselves could ever produce. 
Still that cello bridge introducing the guitar-solo...oh my word. Beautiful.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 08:49
Hi,

It will tell you the appreciation that some European folks have for "classical" music done with rock instruments, that rock music critics are afraid to enjoy. I also think there is a place for the mix of electric music and orchestra and choirs ... that is not explored a whole lot, and things like this, touch on it some.

There is no comparison between this and Echoes. Echoes is just a rock song in parts. This is a "symphony" in a couple of parts!  And mind you, that Roland Petit even tried to make a ballet of it in Paris (I think it was), which was booed senseless by a rock audience that wanted more hits, not ballet, or a visual performance. Makes you wonder why Ian Anderson had a dead ballerina on the stage for his album and a searing indictment of lyrics in his own album.

This is sensational and I would love to see more of it. And done on other pieces, and please ... not on DSOTM! Or The Wall! Try Chuck Berry first!  Tongue
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 08:53
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

IIRC, another quibble Roger (and Nick Mason) had was that the suite had some performance issues, specifically that they had to do the rhythm section in one go, due to EMI not allowing the band to go back and edit parts that didn't cut the mustard. As a result, some tempo issues crop up from time to time.

While "Atom Heart Mother" isn't quite the polished number that "Echoes" is, I think this lack of polish gives the piece a charm of its own.

That "lack of polish" ... is something that only a "musician" would note, since most of us can not hear it or pick up on it, and can listen to the piece just fine.

When musicians start to break it down like that, it means they are losing their ability to let the music flow on its own, and to allow it to live. This is the problem with today's DAW's and the like. The freedom to not be tied down and nailed, is gone. Totally gone. On top of it, the commercial side of the world would have you think that doing that is evil and not cool, and you are not supporting your friends and the top ten!

LOL

Confused

Edited by moshkito - November 20 2016 at 08:54
www.pedrosena.com
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 15:30
Atom Heart Mother
For Nobody's Bush View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 19:05
Echoes for me, but not great to having sex to. it was like the music disappeared, Lizards is better for that.
Kimdino View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 21:04
That bloody rock/classical divide,aaarrGHHH! To me, there's just music (aside from versificator music but that don't count).  I know plenty of 'snobs' on both sides who won't look at the other, merely because it is the other. Their loss ...  I just wish there was a way to give Mozart an electric guitar, I am absolutely certain he would have absolutely loved an instrument with that range of expression.     WinkBut then he isn't even proper classical, he's more baroque.LOL
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 22:51
Atom Heart is one of the greatest music pieces to me!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 02:02
Echoes

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123