Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anyone else here a fan of raw/"sloppy" live music?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAnyone else here a fan of raw/"sloppy" live music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 06:47
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Originally posted by souio souio wrote:

What I'm talking about would be the more traditional/symphonic prog bands playing their entire and multi-part epics with that same not give a damn attitude while still actually still playing it well. Hearing a 20 minute multi-movement prog epic played with that intensity and ferocity is something to behold, and something only a live environment can give you.

Like this?

Just like that!
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2016 at 12:48
Yessongs is the only Yes album I listen to anymore. Their studio recordings are overly compressed and "boxy".
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2016 at 15:21
Well, the Stones are one of my top 20 musical artists and I like them live a lot, too . . . if that counts.

Zeppelin are also in my top 5 (they're #5 for me) and I love Page live.

I'm also obviously a huge Dead fan (they're #6 for me), and a lot of people would say they were sloppy live, at least sometimes, but I don't really agree with that.

Aside from that, I'm not necessarily a fan of raw/sloppy live music.

Edited by Terrapin Station - November 17 2016 at 15:22
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2016 at 16:06

....That's also one of the reasons Bruford is one of my favorites; whereas on the albums he's very precise and reserved, on Yessongs he's still playing the same complex parts, but in a more raw, animalistic fashion with an improvised fill here or there. I find that a lot of newer prog bands are all a lot more reserved and trying to play a lot of their songs note-for-note with the exact same energy as on the albums...

Burford only plays 2 songs on Yessongs (Perpetual Change and LDR/The Fish), the rest is Alan White
novasolis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 17:15
It's one of the reasons I love Steve Howe's playing. It's incredibly "uneven", you hear all kinds of muted notes and "chicken" sounds, but he's still such a virtuoso and dedicated to the instrument. The imperfections really give it more life. It's actually very hard to get a good balance like that!

Having the live raw energy of a "rock" band is one of the things that makes Prog special...at it's heart, it's still rock music.
souio View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2016 at 06:42
Originally posted by novasolis novasolis wrote:

Having the live raw energy of a "rock" band is one of the things that makes Prog special...at it's heart, it's still rock music.

Great way to sum up my complaints about live prog these days! Too much prog, not enough rock lol
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 04:55
Best example I can think of this sort of thing, though in "prog related" rather than prog itself, would probably be David Bowie's 1972 Santa Monica live set. Even compared to other Ziggy-era gigs, Bowie and the Spiders just go at it with this really raw garage rock approach and it's a heap of fun precisely because it's such a different take on their material.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 06:43

Great way to sum up my complaints about live prog these days! Too much prog, not enough rock lol

HAH!!!

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
souio View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 08:10
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

HAH!!!

That's me at almost every live concert I go to hahaha

That's another thing that annoys me about prog fans - when a band enters a funky or heavy section with a good beat in their song while playing live, and I'm there slightly headbanging or moving to the beat and I look around only to see hundreds of people standing with their arms crossed. Once I start my band, "No Crossing Arms" will be a requirement in every performance and I'll point each person I see out lol
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 08:40
Thumbs Up

that is definitely not the Progday crew... you are thinking the PE's Nearfest sissy crew that would have thrown rotten veggies at that group for not being prog enough....LOL

we rock man... prog is all good and all.. but if it doesn't rock on stage... get your ass shaking and dancing....forget about it man...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12