Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pink Floyd - Cre/ation: The Early Years (1967-1972
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink Floyd - Cre/ation: The Early Years (1967-1972

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd - Cre/ation: The Early Years (1967-1972
    Posted: November 14 2016 at 02:13
I know the band have just released the huge box set, but being of limited budget I opted for the Cre/ation two-disc sampler, and spent the weekend giving it a thorough going over.

Do you really need to go the whole hog on the box set, or does the sampler hit enough sweet spots?

You can read my thoughts here:

https://momentstransition.wordpress.com/2016/11/14/pink-floyd-creation-the-early-years-1967-1972/
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 02:59
Ii'd be interested in knowing people's opinions about this, as I am reluctant to spend a lot of money just to get what would be mainly inferior versions of tracks that I already have.
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 03:05
Think I may well get the 2CD variant. 
There is no way I could ever justify the enormous cost of the full box set, and i suspect that will go for most people
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 11:18
I've already heard the whole first volume (1965-1967: Cambridge St/ation). CD1 is probably the best companion to The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, it includes the early recordings from 1965, they sound very good. Next we have 1967 singles, the new mixes are very bright, the song that received the best treatment is Jugband Blues, it sounds excellent. 'In the Beechwoods', 'Vegetable Man' and 'Scream Thy Last Scream' are the worth part of the CD though, last two songs are weirdly mixed. CD2 is good, 'Live in Stockholm' sounds crystal clear, even with the barely listenable Syd vocals, the concert is pretty enjoyable. John Latham Session... Floyd improvisations never gets my attention, drums are boring and guitar jams are played very lazily.

Volume 7: 1967-1972: Continu/ation is the worst part of the Box Set, the whole '67 BBC Sessions use the worst audio source (from an MP3), with tape hiss + an annoying high-pitched noise, very poor. The only worth thing of that CD is the last track of 17. Echoes from Wembley, 1974.
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 11:23
The 2CD Anthology is good, but what really pisses me off is the exclusion of 'Vegetable Man' and 'Scream Thy Last Scream' from that compilation. Cry
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 12:41
I can see why they excluded them from the sampler, though. More than any other track in the set, "Vegetable Man" and "Scream Thy Last Scream" were the most requested songs to be released and they feared that had they put them in the sampler, fans would not bother paying an arm and a leg for the set. And, to be honest, the 1967 part is only one of two sections I'm really interested in (the other being 1971, for the BBC recordings).

Also, this part that Valen mentioned:

It might also be the prudent option for the time being, as Amazon customers have been reporting problems with some of the bluray discs in the box set not playing properly. It sounds like some box sets are missing discs or have hasty replacements included. The six volumes in the box set will be released individually next year, so you might save yourself a lot of hassle by waiting for them, by which time the botched discs might be fixed.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
the lighthouse keepe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 17:29
Sure is a lot of mixed reviews going around.Some great recordings,some not so great.Suppose this was bound to happen with such a colossal package.
I'm sticking to the two disc set.I hear that most of the recordings will be released individually next year.Has anyone else heard this news?
"Hello sun.Hello bird.
Hello my lady.
Hello breakfast.May I buy you
again tomorrow?"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 19:19
Rolling Stone said there was going to be separate releases of the first six volumes in 2017, but I've yet to hear a press release from the band that confirms or denies this, unless the RS article was that press release.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 19:56
Sounds like it would well-suit a very serious Floyd archivist
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 20:34
Actually, the Cre/ation thing has very little of what I'm interested from the whole box-set. Why would they include many of the early singles that are already available in several compilations that have been released already, but none of the 65 recordings, or as stated already, Vegetable Man and Scream thy last scream. I have been under the impression that releasing the parts of the compilation separetley was part of the plan, and I expect to get some of them so... however, I guess even so it will be expensive. I really think they should have used a more accesible option withoug including so much filler. First of all, there could be a few "lost" albums... one with the Barrett era singles, plus the 65 recordings and the final 2 songs... which would actually be just about the first CD of the first part (almost). And then another lost album with the Gilmour singles, including the Zabriskie Point songs (both the ones that had already been available and the new ones)... and perhaps also the More unreleased songs. Then they could have released BBC concerts... perhaps a compilation on a 2 CD thing. And a DVD with the best video performances of concerts. I guess that would have been much cheaper and even enjoyable in the long run.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 21:30
Bof.
aliano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2016 at 23:53
The only part of this boxset that I'm interested in is the Pompeii CD. Is it individually available?
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2016 at 11:08
Some people state that the Pompeii mix sounds terrible.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2016 at 21:06
Originally posted by aliano aliano wrote:

The only part of this boxset that I'm interested in is the Pompeii CD. Is it individually available?

At the moment I'm almost sure it's not available on CD... and actually I'm rather interested in it too. I always thought that it's format would make a wonderful album. However, I rather doubt it will be released individually as a CD... but it might be found sold as a used CD later on when some people start selling parts of their sets individually (as the early singles CD from the Shine On box-set, which was not released as such, but I was able to get it individually a few years ago).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2016 at 21:36
I'm surprised they haven't released Pompeii on CD earlier. You know, stick it with the DVD, put a few extra dollars to the price tag and release it to stores.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2016 at 23:58
Amazed to read (above) that an mp3!!! source was used for some BBC Sessions. I'e got greta versions (they only had to ask nicely).

27 discs they said; which includes records (big deal).

Yes most of this is being released separately except for 1 set (the reason why most people who want this will but it.

I sincerely hope the upgrades actually are. The boot San Tropez video and audio is respectively average to good when they should be excellent. The TV special of PF in 1970 was always excellent I hope this is much better - even if it has to be a TV mono mix.

The Man / The Journey gets a much needed official release. A lost album. Could have been the prelude to Ummagumma and if it had been the Ummagumma studio album might be the archive release.

We'll see how this pans out in a few months but I doubt it'll reduce by much. I could care less about blu rays and DVDs - either  /or really.

I don't think I'll be junking my ROIO collection soon.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2016 at 21:56
Originally posted by the lighthouse keepe the lighthouse keepe wrote:

...I hear that most of the recordings will be released individually next year.Has anyone else heard this news?

Well, I got off me lazy bum and actually went to Floyd's official site and, yes, the current plan is the release the first six volumes separately sometime in early 2017.
 Post Reply Post Reply