Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Metallica - Hard Wired to self destruct OPINIONS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMetallica - Hard Wired to self destruct OPINIONS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Metallica - Hard Wired to self destruct OPINIONS
    Posted: November 18 2016 at 16:51
I've just heard this

Its heavy and intense with a ton of riffs but could not remember a single song afterwards. No ear worms and stand out tracks.

Now listening a second time. Starting to grow on my ears now. Atlas Arise is a highlight.

Hardwired - nah. Heard it 5 times already.... nagh - Not liking that. Its just a relentless riff, very fast, but not a lot going on prog wise. Swearing is unwelcome, they never did that on previous albums. at least its short.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - November 18 2016 at 20:56
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2016 at 17:21
ManUNkind - OK this is very good, gotta admit it sticks to you after a few listens. The film clip to this is insane - an Occult metal band cutting themselves and bleeding all over the crowd, then they throw a pigs head into the crowd who devour it - really sick and unexpected.

Halo On Fire - Yes, Hetfield is using his clean vocals again which I loved on DM. Amazing riff on this and the way it changes direction half way is proggish. Its long and full of complexity. Lyrics are better here. The riff at five minute is crunching into my ears - fantastic. Lead break - this is what we came to hear. Hammett without the wah wah pedal, just good old shredding. Nice acoustic feel at 6 mins in. Great groove follows, and its maddeningly catchy. Love the outro!!! another Highlight 

Now That we're Dead - extended intro - a cool galloping trot riff, great double kick drums. Love the simplicity of that verse riff. It works nicely with the vocals. lead break is fantastic. cool choppy riff, nice slow pace for this track, a headbanger.

Next...

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - November 18 2016 at 18:41
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2016 at 20:55
OK just wrote the review. Its a good album really. Finished review with this.

So there you have it. It delivers and the news is good overall, apart from some lapses in to mediocrity in the second half of the album. There are at least 4 killer tracks that will have the Metallica universe buzzing; namely "Atlas", "Moth", "Halo" and "Bone"; as good as anything I have heard from Metallica. The other tracks are not so high standard but still deliver a whallop in their own right. It will appease the depraved Metallica fans who have to wait so long in between albums, and for those who were not that impressed with the Lulu album prior. It will be interesting to hear how other fans feel about this but I was underwhelmed apart from the aforementioned highlights. It should have been a masterpiece given the experience and undeniable talent but a lot of this album feels lazy and uninspired. I gave the earlier release 4 stars so it would be an injustice to award this new album that many stars. It deserves 3 stars at least for the great tracks without a doubt. It is those tracks that make this a worthwhile listen because they are Metallica at their best.

Do you agree with me? Really interested in others opinions as I haven't read one review of this yet.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2016 at 21:00
I have heard bits of it, but haven't bought it. I was at the music store today and they were playing it... and it did sound better than I expected, but nothing that would really hook me. I rather decided to buy Opeth's last album, which I am really loving. And as far as metal goes, I expect to buy Epica's new album before this one. But I do might end up buying this new Metallica album, which is something I was not so sure about before. I think I actually liked what I heard better than Death Magnetic, even though I didn't really listen to that album much, nor did I buy it. I definitley liked it more than St Anger.

Edited by Dellinger - November 18 2016 at 21:02
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2016 at 22:25
Yeah - don't worry - St Anger will live in infamy as being the worst metal album in history, along with that Morbid Angel one... lol.

Thanks for your thoughts. I might buy the Epica one next too.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 22:18
Saw the dbl Red vinyl at the local JB HiFi store - at almost $70, I'm not too keen, especially when I can get a Megadeth LP for $28.........
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 06:00
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I have heard bits of it, but haven't bought it. I was at the music store today and they were playing it... and it did sound better than I expected, but nothing that would really hook me. I rather decided to buy Opeth's last album, which I am really loving. And as far as metal goes, I expect to buy Epica's new album before this one. But I do might end up buying this new Metallica album, which is something I was not so sure about before. I think I actually liked what I heard better than Death Magnetic, even though I didn't really listen to that album much, nor did I buy it. I definitley liked it more than St Anger.

Good choice. Both the new Opeth and the new Epica are EXCELLENT! Personally i'm so over Metallica and what i've heard from the new album would've sounded fine in 1995 after the black album but sounds rather dull and calculated today. I'm sure i'll hear it eventually but there is so much other interesting music out there i'd much rather engage my attention in
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 06:17
I personally found it rather flat, except Atlas Arise...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 06:58
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

[QUOTE=Dellinger] Personally i'm so over Metallica and what i've heard from the new album would've sounded fine in 1995 after the black album but sounds rather dull and calculated today. I'm sure i'll hear it eventually but there is so much other interesting music out there i'd much rather engage my attention in
Same here. I have not heard a lot of the new Opeth but will seek it out.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 07:15
It's funny, the day it came out I went into a local JB Hifi store (an Australian music chain of stores) to buy it. I got there and wandered around the store for 20 minutes, quite unsure of why I'd even gone there in the first place. I bought a couple of movies, left, and about twenty minutes later thought `Sonofa....the new Metallica album.......meh') and kept driving. I think I kind of used the little momentum and interest I had in picking it up there and then and now already don't really care.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 08:00
Can't see what it has got to offer really. An ok album, some good riffs, some utterly boring ones.

It is like a mix of Kill em All and Load with little in between. Kind of pointless.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 19:50
I already got this album and have heard it a few times. Still, I might just as well not have got it... I guess some songs may still grow on me, but there was no particular highlight. So far, my favourite songs are the covers of "When a Blind Man Cries" and "Remember Tomorrow" on the bonus CD. As for the Epica album I mentioned I was interested in before, it wasn't really that great either... though I guess it is at least a bit better than this one, still, the previous Epica album was much better. And indeed Opeth's album seems to be my favourite metal album this year.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 21:50
I won't buy it.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 09:44
Never a fan, have listened to a lot of their music over the past 20yrs, was there at the beginning and still never clicked with me. Pretty much Metallica was my exposure to never getting into anything thrash related...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 10:05
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Never a fan, have listened to a lot of their music over the past 20yrs, was there at the beginning and still never clicked with me. Pretty much Metallica was my exposure to never getting into anything thrash related...
Is the black album considered thrash? I like that but not the earlier albums.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 10:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

No it's considered pop-rock..........LOLClap
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 10:20
Radio station I listen to driving plays a song from the album probably once every hour and a half so I've heard a few. My thoughts are always "but that's been done before."
Ghost-something-or-other had a chorus that I liked but it didn't go anywhere.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 10:24
The cover art is appalling! So try-hard....only some kids would think `Oh man, look at that torment, these guys are HARDCORE!!'
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 11:00

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

No it's considered pop-rock..........LOLClap
Yeah man! Hard core pop rock! LOL
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2016 at 11:09
Not gonna buy it.  I'm digging the new generation of metal, bands like Seven Impale, Leprous, Haken and Native Construct. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>