Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour first CD(s)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your first CD(s)
    Posted: November 20 2016 at 15:58
This new trend toward a return to vinyl pressings has made me reminisce a little about the days when the Compact Disc came onto the scene (and, with it, the ageless debate over 'best' or 'purest' sound: analog or digital). I was working in a Waxie Maxie's record store in Gaithersburg, Maryland, when the Phillips and Sony companies announced their revolutionary scheme--and I converted quickly, buying a Sony CD player in 1983 and beginning the acquisition of CDs as they were issued. 

I think the first four issued were SUPERTRAMP's Crime of the Century, FLEETWOOD MAC's Rumours, TALKING HEADS Remain in Light and some classical disc--though I may be wrong. I remember soon owning YES' Close to the Edge and Fragile as well as KING CRIMSON's ITCOTCK, but Crime of the Century was definitely my first.

Do you remember your first CD acquisition--and how quickly you began the switch from vinyl to CD (or, conversely, how resistant you were to switching over. Perhaps some of you were still listening to 8-tracks in 1983! [My rather extensive 8-track collection of Nektar albums was lost about the same year.])

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 16:26
Queen CD, a mini one remember them - still got it 3" CD

Somebody to love

1Somebody To Love4:55
2White Man4:58
3Tie Your Mother Down4:47
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 16:31
I remember them! I don't think I ever bought one, though. (Didn't they require a different player?)

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Kespuzzuo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 16:31
The first CD I bought was Ok Computer by Radiohead. I think it's a very, very good album!!!

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 16:32
Probably Supertramp Crime Of The Century
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 16:45
Golden Earring - Moontan
Moody Blues - This Is
Shake & bake.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 18:11
I went to USA in 89, and didn't have a CD player, bought an excellent JVC Mini Component and 48 albums

The ones I remember were mostly old albums I also owned on LP

- Six Wives
- Myths & Legends
- Foxtrot
- Selling England
- Nursery Cryme
- Aurora (Jean Luc Ponty)
- Leftoverture
- Thick as a Brick
- Stormwatch

And a other more I can't remember

EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 18:17
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I remember them! I don't think I ever bought one, though. (Didn't they require a different player?)

No, normal CD player. Think I only ever bought two of them.
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 18:46
I honestly don't remember what my very first cd was. It may have been Big Generator by Yes or some other album by them. I was pretty late to the game on cds since I was still buying cassette tapes and continued to do so well into the 90's(and possibly beyond). I did buy mostly cds by 1991 though or at least equal to cassette tapes. I know I bought Van Halen's "0u812" and "Permanent Vacation" by Aerosmith on cd so they may have been the first non prog. I also remember buying Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra" and Mahavishnu Orchestra's "birds of fire" on cd around the same time. I do remember buying a whole bunch of vinyl for only a few dollars a piece in late 1987 or so and after that it was mostly cds or cassettes. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 20 2016 at 18:48
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 19:23
I didn't switch from vinyl to CD. I had (still have it) a Pioneer 8-track recorder and I recorded vinyl to 8-track to listen to in the car. Eventually, I got a car with a cassette player and started buying hair bands and heavy metal on cassette for the car but listened to vinyl at home.
Then I bought a boom box with two cassette players on the front so I could listen to tapes I already had and a CD player on the top so I could start buying discs. 
The first CDs I bought were "No More Tears" by Ozzy and "Still Got The Blues" by Gary Moore.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 20:17
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I honestly don't remember what my very first cd was. It may have been Big Generator by Yes or some other album by them. I was pretty late to the game on cds since I was still buying cassette tapes and continued to do so well into the 90's(and possibly beyond). I did buy mostly cds by 1991 though or at least equal to cassette tapes. I know I bought Van Halen's "0u812" and "Permanent Vacation" by Aerosmith on cd so they may have been the first non prog. I also remember buying Tangerine Dream's "Phaedra" and Mahavishnu Orchestra's "birds of fire" on cd around the same time. I do remember buying a whole bunch of vinyl for only a few dollars a piece in late 1987 or so and after that it was mostly cds or cassettes. 

Ha, what a coincidence. The very first two CDs I ever owned were Permanent Vacation and Van Halen's 5150. That, alongside Black Sabbath's Paranoid and Uriah Heep's The Magician's Birthday
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 20:34
I got my first stereo until the late 90's. I knew very little music, and didn't know what prog was. I don't really remember which albums I got first, but it was something between a Neil Diamond compilation, a Foreigner compilations, and Pink Floyd stuff. I sort of remember getting The Wall and Delicate Sound of Thunder first from them, but I might get confusued with The Wall, since I did get it on tape first, and don't remember if I got it so soon on CD as well.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 21:40
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Ha, what a coincidence. The very first two CDs I ever owned were Permanent Vacation and Van Halen's 5150. That, alongside Black Sabbath's Paranoid and Uriah Heep's The Magician's Birthday

Wow. I bought "Paranoid" on vinyl around 1986 and "Demons and Wizards" about a year later. I didn't buy(and hear) 5150 and Magicians Birthday until a few years ago believe it or not(on cd).

Here's a funny little story though. Around late 85 or early 86 I remember going to a department store and buying Yes' "9012live" on cassette. I happened to run into a guy from my school there and I told him I just bought a tape. He asked me what I bought and I lied and told him I bought the latest Van Halen(which would have been 5150). I remember him telling me he liked the song "why can't this be love" if I'm not mistaken. I lied in order to look cool. I figured he either wouldn't know who Yes was or would think they were weird. I finally bought that VH on cd about two years ago or so. I think I only listened to it a year ago for the first time. I'm not a huge VH fan but I now have all their stuff up to and including 0u812. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 20 2016 at 21:44
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 21:42
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

They required an adapter similar to the old vinyl single adapters, except it was worn on the outside.  The one I had and still have wasn’t too compatible with my first player, it couldn’t get through most of it without skipping something fierce.

I know my first few (or more) CDs because I’ve always been anal-retentive about cataloging my collection, including all purchase information.  So my first ten, from the summer of 1987, are:

Camel – Pressure Points Live

Cream – Goodbye

Frank Zappa – We’re Only in It for the Money/Lumpy Gravy (the first, initially expensive Rykodisc version)

Penguin Café Orchestra – Broadcasting From Home

Kitaro – Silk Road Suite (the orchestral version)

Mike Oldfield – Tubular Bells

Allman Brothers Band – Beginnings

Jefferson Airplane – Surrealistic Pillow (the badly-mastered 1st version)

Genesis – Wind and Wuthering (ditto)

Ralph Towner – Blue Sun

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 22:30
1991 - Jefferson Airplane - 'Bless Its Pointed Little Head' Japanese pressing.
It was a gift from my sister when I caught up with her in Bali, and she and her (then) other half came from their Hong Kong stay and I just wanted to stay in Bali. Hated CD's then, hate 'em now
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 22:47
My first CD was a used copy of CTTE.  I still enjoy it, as it was an early CD pressing, made from the analog studio tapes & not remastered.  Therefore, I'm hearing a digital rendition of CTTE that is very much how Eddie Offord would have heard it in the studio at that time.  
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 23:02
My first CDs were A Momentary Lapse of Reason and Brothers in Arms, which I won in a radio contest (I think).  I also won a copy of a Christine McVie solo album from another radio station by identifying Jane Relf as the vocalist for Illusion despite the fact that I did not, and still don't, have any albums by them.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 23:46
Didn't buy CDs until 1989.  Bought Wish You Were Here before an actual CD player so I could test out CD players.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 00:08
Mid 80's sometime first CD purchase.

Lime Spiders: The Cave Comes Alive

Bought it because it looked interesting
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 01:39

Bought a CD player and on the way home realised didn't have anything to play on it so nipped into HMV and picked up this:

Mike Oldfield The Complete Mike Oldfield album cover

What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>