Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYour first CD(s)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2016 at 23:19
1989 Sweet Dreams by Sword and girlfriend got Cure Disintentation.

She obviously had better taste than I.

Edited by Barbu - November 22 2016 at 23:22
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2016 at 02:33
My first CD was a 3 inch CD by Heaven 17 Temptation.
I bought quite a few 3 inch CDs back then (1988)
I have since sold them all as my current CD player  (a Brennan JB7) cannot play them, apart from that one which I have kept for sentimental reasons.
All the extended remixes from that 3 inch CD are on the remastered edition of the parent album The Luxury Gap.

I know its not prog but it is the truth and I do like that album.
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2016 at 02:37
The first CD albums I bought was with my first payday from my job.
It was July 29th 1988.
I can't actually remember which shop I bought them in, but it was in Chelmsford.
I bought ;
Magnum - Anthology
All About Eve

I no longer have either CD, although I have since bought the remastered edition of the All About Eve album.  
DePloy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2016 at 20:20
Skid Row
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2016 at 20:54
The first CD I ever bought was Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother, maybe in 1989 or 1990... In Chile CDs were expensive and hard to get at that time.
I'll I never forget the pleasure of listening to it, switch from song to song, repeat them over and over again... I still own it.

Edited by Olape - November 26 2016 at 09:05
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2016 at 21:20
Eponymous by R.E.M. was probably the first CD I bought that I still have and like. This was in the 21st century because I'm both young and old-fashioned.
DePloy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 05:29
REM is a terrific band in those early years, your post was a nice surprise
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 06:32
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

This new trend toward a return to vinyl pressings has made me reminisce a little about the days when the Compact Disc came onto the scene (and, with it, the ageless debate over 'best' or 'purest' sound: analog or digital). I was working in a Waxie Maxie's record store in Gaithersburg, Maryland, when the Phillips and Sony companies announced their revolutionary scheme--and I converted quickly, buying a Sony CD player in 1983 and beginning the acquisition of CDs as they were issued. 

I think the first four issued were SUPERTRAMP's Crime of the Century, FLEETWOOD MAC's Rumours, TALKING HEADS Remain in Light and some classical disc--though I may be wrong. I remember soon owning YES' Close to the Edge and Fragile as well as KING CRIMSON's ITCOTCK, but Crime of the Century was definitely my first.

Do you remember your first CD acquisition--and how quickly you began the switch from vinyl to CD (or, conversely, how resistant you were to switching over. Perhaps some of you were still listening to 8-tracks in 1983! [My rather extensive 8-track collection of Nektar albums was lost about the same year.])

Waxie Maxie's.....  oh man...  loved taking my hard earned jack there and buying all the CD's I could.  Almost as much I loved the Octopus Garden... where you could get stoned on 2nd hand smoke and hang out with the old (to me) hippies and talk music and  find the really good odd stuff.

First CD bought? really not sure.. likely it was a Janis Joplin CD as I not only had a major musical crush on her at that time.. but also the secondary mission to piss my mother off as she HATED.. LOATHED.. Janis.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2016 at 18:23
My first CD was Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue. That was it for awhile, as I didn't jump in more than ankle deep at first. I couldn't hazard a guess as to what my second CD was.

Edited by HackettFan - November 24 2016 at 18:25
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2016 at 21:58
Dixie Dregs' What If and a couple Steely Dan CDs. After that, it was off to the races as LPs were things of the past for me.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2016 at 01:11
Peter Gabriel 4, bought it already in march 1983 (!) when there were only about 20 titles in total on the market - still own it. It's the original Charisma CD, now worth a small fortune.
lostrom
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2016 at 04:17
Sky - The Great Balloon Race

Not one of their good albums by any stretch of the imagination though. Awful really. But apparently not easy to find on CD these days apparently. Until all those Sky albums were re-issued recently by Esoteric of course.

I still remember going into a record shop called Seeing Ears in Adelaide's main shopping strip very early in the time of CD and seeing an imported CD copy of the Snow Goose (Camel) on a shelf behind the counter for a very high price. At that time I was still thinking these CD things were just going to be a passing gimmick, no way I was going to pay big $ for that... But it was rare enough to see Prog albums in local shops at the best of times and seeing one on CD seemed an impossible rarity.
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2016 at 04:23
First cds? 
Must have been Queen's greatest hits part two as well as a comedy album done by a famous Danish "group" called Monrad & Rislund. Then came Michael Jackson's BadCool
Kinda funny reading this thread as most started out with LPs and then moved onto cds. I am the other way around - collected thousands of cds and then suddenly decided to go the vinyl routeLOL Nowadays I buy both but prefer vinyl. There's a reverence about the medium that escapes the aforementioned plastic disc, I find.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2016 at 04:44
I don't exactly remember, but Peter Hammill's "Skin" and Hawkwind's "The Chronicle of the Black Sword" were among my first CD acquisitions

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2016 at 07:16
Wow, this could be embarrassing LOL.

I got three for the price of two via a record club, remember them?  I know one was Give Me The Reason by Luther Vandross (come on, it was the 80s Wink).  Not sure of the second one, I think it may have been P-Machinery by Propaganda, but at least I have the consolation of knowing one of the three was Talk Talk's The Colour of Spring.  So my street cred isn't completely shot!!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2016 at 13:35
No, this is embarrassing: With the advent of CDs, I felt that buying new records was for the birds as I really didn't see how they could sound better than this new and amazing technology. I was attracted to used LPs though to fill out my collection of music that wasn't yet out on CD. Because of this ill-conceived assumption (CDs sound better, right?), I've had to replace poor sounding original CD editions with better remastered versions that came later. With my financial status in mind, this has had to be done through used CDs and time lost hunting them down. And so on and so on ...
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2016 at 14:19
Peter Gabriel - So
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 05:02
I wasn´t even at least on a conscious level a prog fan at that time (end of the 80s), but my first CD I bought gives me credit I think ;-)

1) Yes - Close to the edge

2) Dire Straits - Love over Gold

3) The Moody Blues - In search of the lost chord  (I had absolutely no idea who they are  and what they sound like, it just bought it because the cover struck me)
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 08:20
Somewhere in time around 83 or 84-

Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here
Weather Report- Night Passage
Simon and Garfunkel- Bridge Over Troubled Water.

In 1984 or 85', I remember purchasing my first new release -  The Alarm- Declaration...   I remember it cost me $16.99.  I'd never heard of The Alarm.  I bought the CD because of the wild crazy hair the band sported.  68' Guns is still one of my favorite songs of all time.Wink

In 87'  I spotted a cute 3" CD single in an independent Record shop.   Frank Zappa 3" CD of Peaches En Regalia...I'm not Satisfied...and Lucille has Mess up my Mind Up.

3" single comes in a picture sleeve attached to a 8" x 3.5" cardboard plinth with a picture of the sleeve on pale pink background.  I believe Peaches might have been the first 3" CD single released in the United States. 

I still remember the conversation I had with the rock and roll record store owner because he had a Lawrence Welk Polka CD on the front counter.  I said, " Wow, that Polka CD seems a bit out of place."   He replied,

" My friend, that CD is a misprint. It's actually a Sex Pistols CD." Ouch

Edited by omphaloskepsis - December 07 2016 at 08:51
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2016 at 08:43
The Clash debut album, US version back in 1987 or so.
I hated how clean it sounded.
That perfect, snarling guitar sound reduced to digital meh.
Vinyl forever. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>