Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo Yes get the respect that they deserve?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do Yes get the respect that they deserve?
    Posted: November 20 2016 at 18:35
This might sound like a silly question to post on a forum such as this but I am being serious when I ask this. In my opinion I would say no they don't(not these days at least). And I don't just mean in general but in prog circles too. In fact one of the reasons why I ask this is because even many prog fans either don't like them or aren't that familiar with them. This is especially true for younger fans although most of them know who Pink Floyd, Genesis and Rush are(especially Rush)and countless prog metal bands). Outside of prog circles most people around my age(mid 40's) or older know who they are even if they aren't fans through classic rock and their popularity in the seventies and into the eighties. At some point though Yes lost the plot and I say that as a major fan. They never really transitioned into the kind of band that has respect on another level(like say Rush or Pink Floyd)and they don't even have the hipster approval of say King Crimson. It's a shame because there is something special about them and even lots of magical moments on their albums even after the so called main sequence of their catalog(71-77) which more or less parallels(no pun intended)Genesis' back catalog as far as prog respect goes. There could be many reasons for this and I'm not saying Yes are obscure or aren't a well known band but it just seems that most of their fan base are fans from the old days and that these days they are mostly remembered for a few hits. It used to be they were one of the first prog bands that those new to prog would discover. These days I'm not even so sure about that. I decided to post this topic after seeing that Yes came in at number six on an online poll of the top ten prog bands of all time by Rolling Stone. Ahead of Yes were(in order)King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Pink Floyd and Rush. They said Rush had the most votes by far. On the plus side Yes recently made it to number one on a list of top 100 prog bands in PROG magazine. However, my guess is those voting are more hardcore(and possibly much older)than those who voted in the Rolling Stone poll.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - November 20 2016 at 18:40
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 20:53
I never thought they have lost much popularity. At least not on Prog Archives. They can still win their fair share of polls, and are well represented in the ranking of albums, even the top 10. Mostly people seem to easily get annoyed by Anderson's vocals, or by their weak output since... well, whatever time different people seen to consider they lost their way. At least most agree that they are not doing very well at the moment, and mostly through this decade. Now, a band that really suffers from all those unapreciation things you mentioned at the moment is ELP.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 21:37
Well, on the Rolling Stone poll ELP came in at number 7 just one slot behind Yes(Tool, Mars Volta and Dream Theater were the others but I don't remember the order). I agree that ELP are even less respected in prog circles than Yes these days though. Yes music has aged a bit better than ELP I suppose and as a result Yes are a bit more well known. I think if there's one band that even most prog fans seem to think has given prog a bad name it's ELP. However, I've always enjoyed ELP particularly the first few albums. 
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 23:10
Rolling Stone has much more mainstream sensibilities than any Prog oriented site or mag, so their polling will reflect that.  And yes, I am implying that Rush is more mainstream than Yes, which they are.  Short songs, hard rocking, that sort of thing.  Rush has also been more consistent than Yes over the years.  With a band like Yes, who have such a long history and extensive discography, how they are regarded is going to change over time.  Nowadays, their past glory is highly regarded - with CTTE listed on PA as the best Prog album ever.  It does not seem that that will change.  But their newer work is not so highly regarded.  As a long time fan, I like everything they have done to one degree or another with the exception of their latest.  For they overall output, they are highly regarded, but not for their newer releases.  Which Yes are we talking about here?
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Maurstar View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2016 at 23:11
I usually tend to forget the meaning of the lyrics when they are part of the score. Examples of brouhaha added to music are ageless and a lot of Yes lyrics make no sense at all, but then they make the song a solid piece of music (being owner of a lonely heart a solid piece of crap, tho.)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 06:22
I think many bands have see this happening to them. Deep Purple was considered, if not the best, one of the best hard rock bands, way ahead of Led Zepellin, which is now regarded as the greatest hard rock band of all times, though their music was more blues oriented. Jethro Tull is even more ignored by the media than Yes these days, and I really doubt that Rush has nearly the musical quality they had in their early days.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 09:43
^When was Deep Purple ever "way ahead" of Led Zeppelin? My guess is if that was true it didn't last long. Maybe that changed after LZ 4?
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 13:29
I don't want to troll or anything, but I consider Yes the most overrated prog band ever. I have listened to their best albums and found them average at worst and very good at best. But number one of all time? Not even close. Now, I know that that opinion may change dramatically in the future, but right now this is how it is for me Smile.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 13:31
I don't find Yes very good, but the band has been very important to Progressive Rock.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 13:32
[I don't want to troll or anything]

Then don't. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 13:37
I know it's a strange opinion to be expressed (especially) in a prog rock forum. More or less I agree with Logan. Is he trolling though ? Ermm
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 13:58
Nope, I was speaking honestly, and not to inflame or confuse people. When I was new to the web I loved to troll message boards, although I thought of it as creative writing. Sometimes I feel the need to let people know that I'm not trolling or being sarcastic since people often are prone to assumptions and preconceptions. It's funny how a simple difference of opinion or difference in taste can inflame some people.

I never would have thought you were trolling, Watchmaker. :)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 14:02
A bit too much respect...imho.

Stern Smile

Edited by dr wu23 - November 21 2016 at 14:05
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 14:08
Well, I still can't understand if you are serious or not lol. Anyway, my honest opinion is written above. Feel free to disagree with it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 14:14
I believe that Yes get the respect they deserve for a hand full of past albums that include a few masterpieces of prog. I also feel, like dr wu, that they get a bit too much considering the bulk of their work that succeeds "Going For The One". They have produced more than a hand full of turkeys too, including some of their bizarre collaborations like "ABWH", and especially the "Union" album debacle.  

Edited by SteveG - November 21 2016 at 14:30
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 14:24
Originally posted by Watchmaker Watchmaker wrote:

Well, I still can't understand if you are serious or not lol. Anyway, my honest opinion is written above. Feel free to disagree with it.

I was being completely serious, otherwise I would have used ;) instead of :). I knew someone who put Yes at the same level as Beethoven, Bach and Mozart.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 14:35

I know it's a strange opinion to be expressed (especially) in a prog rock forum. More or less I agree with Logan. Is he trolling though ? Ermm

It depends. If you are stating your honest opinion and not trying to bait anyone or intentionally cause trouble then no that's not trolling. I didn't get the feeling he was trolling. It was actually you who used the word troll not me. It's kind of like when a little kid blurts out that he doesn't want candy. Well, if he really doesn't want it why is he saying that? But no both you were actually quite well behaved. LOL
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 14:36
Yes are my all-time favorite band so I obviously feel they do not get the respect they deserve.

The Yes Album 10/10
Fragile 10/10
Close To The Edge 10/10
Tales From Topographic Oceans 10/10
Relayer 10/10

That's a pretty amazing run of excellence - all within a 45 month time span (February 1971 to November 1974.)

Genesis is the only other band who even comes close (IMHO.)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 14:39
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I was being completely serious, otherwise I would have used ;) instead of :). I knew someone who put Yes at the same level as Beethoven, Bach and Mozart.

Not sure I would go that far but I do feel they deserve as much respect as Pink Floyd, Rush and King Crimson which they definitely do not seem to get(imo). I kind of feel that if they stopped making albums after Drama(they did in fact break up for a short period of time right after that one)that they would be much more respected by prog fans(or even after BG). 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2016 at 14:41
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Yes are my all-time favorite band so I obviously feel they do not get the respect they deserve.

The Yes Album 10/10
Fragile 10/10
Close To The Edge 10/10
Tales From Topographic Oceans 10/10
Relayer 10/10

That's a pretty amazing run of excellence - all within a 45 month time span (February 1971 to November 1974.)

Genesis is the only other band who even comes close (IMHO.)

I agree. All great stuff. I would argue that Rush(75-81/82)Gentle Giant(70-76) and King Crimson(69-74)also all come pretty close. I do agree with Genesis too of course. If Van der Graaf Generator didn't have that gap between 71 and 75 I'd include them too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>