Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich bands are really progressive?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 03:28

^ I know Venom

I personally think they're awful. I had the first two albums; Black Metal and Welcome to Hell.
To me they were everything I don't like: heavy punk, simple thrash. Reminds me of Motörhead and Metallica. Angry white males with no musical skills. Just being angry.
That's my opinion and absolutely not meant as a verdict.

I think it's fascinating how you find them progressive. At least they coined the term black metal, although they were not black metal, more a simplified version of thrashmetal.

Edited by Kingsnake - December 01 2016 at 05:06
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 03:40
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 04:27
^ Yep - Master Kingsnake - aggression, punk tendencies, rough musicianship, simple thrash. Yet they never claimed to be any more. There were quite 'extreme' for the era. But the ambitious extended composition, At War With Satan, owed a lot to Connie's (Cronos) love of Rush and Tull (and Heep, Purple, Zepp etc.) He knew what 'long, drawn-out pompous' concepts were about. We get a very cool album with that. Watching interviews with him, he is pretty cool and straight-forward with his vision. Great attitude as well. No-one need fear Venom, just like a ramped-up Motörhead, really. And we all know Lemmy was in Hawkwind !! Venom injected (ha !) fun into the 'extreme' Metal of the time. And really enjoyed doing it. I really appreciate what Venom brought to the table.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 05:05
^ I like your enthousiasm, and in the end that's all that counts.
Maybe try some old Mayhem, while you're at it.

A lot of people dismiss the 80's as a overproduced synth-oriented plastic dancemusic era, but it was the birthplace of extreme metal and gangsterrap and also housmusic (techno, acid etc.) was born in the 80's.
With hindsight quite progressive and innovative. And the fun thing is, it weren't even the skilled musicians that invented new styles and that experimentated with all types of instruments, etc.

Great to name Venom (I wish I didn't say they're awful, I just can't listen to it :D ), I will throw in Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, for progressiveness. Clap

Edited by Kingsnake - December 01 2016 at 05:05
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 05:56
It's been hard for me to find a truly, authentic progressive band these days, maybe because I've been looking at wrong place, and mostly to rock bands. I've found quite interesting music in other places, like world music, new classical, etc. Thanks for all the suggestion that you guys have been making, I will check them out.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 06:07
Maybe finally a thread where we can discuss something else than the usual suspects.

Right now I'm really into female fronted indie music. (not gothicmetal or rock or any kind). But more like Kate Bush, Fiona Apple, Aimee Mann, Bonnie Raitt etc. etc.

My three most favorite (really progressive) artists are Susanne Sundfřr (on progarchives), Bat for Lashes (not on progarchives) and My Brightest Diamond / Shara Nova (not on progarchives).
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 08:39
There is something which can be examined and put to use which hasn't been done yet: microtonality. The only person I've discovered who really knows how to make unique and beautiful harmonies with this is Dolores Catherino, an example here: 

Edited by DDPascalDD - December 01 2016 at 08:40
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 10:58
For me, definitely it is Germany's Triumvirat. Though sometimes derided as an ELP clone, I disagree on that. They were kind of unique and different from other groups, in the overall "vibe" or atmosphere in their music, and the epitome of "progressive" on their first three albums, for sure.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 13:10
I'd put him as more of a prog-related artist, and not a band name, although he has collaborated with many bands, nor is he in PA (at least solo, he collaborated with Bardo Pond), but guitarist/ composer Tom Carter is a modern artist that has been pretty progressive with varying styles over time. He's experimented quite a bit with post rock, drone, free and avant folk, psych, space rock,and has worked with an eclectic mix of bands. He does do a lot of improv and has taken unusual approaches to recording/ laying down his work.
https://threelobed.bandcamp.com/album/long-time-underground

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 14:12
Great suggestions, all of those! 

And to clarify a bit more based on some of the comments: I am very much aware that everybody is influenced one way or another, that's not the point. The issue I have is that many bands simply seem to make a sport of it to sound like their own favourite band (to the extend that a band like Glasshammer seem to be proud of being called 'the new Yes'). It's great to be able to do that as a musician, since it's not easy, but to me it lacks a bit of creativity and 'newness'. I like most bands I hear, including the once that are not so original, but I really would like to hear something different after two years of that.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 14:22
As far as I know, "prog" is just an abbreviation of "progressive".
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 19:41
^ We like it complicated here, very.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 19:59
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

There is something which can be examined and put to use which hasn't been done yet: microtonality. The only person I've discovered who really knows how to make unique and beautiful harmonies with this is Dolores Catherino, an example here: 

Fascinating, she creates quite a skirl.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2016 at 22:01
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 04:42
I don't think there is much 'prog rock' out there at the moment that is progressive, but there is plenty of progressive music around.  I find artists such as Tim Hecker and Onehotrix Point Never as genuinely progressive, to my ears at least.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2016 at 08:06
^I think you're right. Progressive music, as a whole, exists everywhere and in pretty much every genre out there, but lately it seems to have snuck outside the prog umbrella to the electronic and metal scenes in particular. Great call on OPN and Tim Fecker btw. Love Garden Of Delete and feel it very well could turn into a future classic. The sound and feel of it is quite original and pushing those infamous buttons where they most likely haven't ventured before.

Current progressive acts found on PA?
Claudio Milano/Nichelodeon
Ut Gret
Chrome Hoof
Omoide Hatoba
Ukandanz
Oteme
Dillinger Escape Plan
Bent Knee
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 06:25
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Yep - Master Kingsnake - aggression, punk tendencies, rough musicianship, simple thrash. Yet they never claimed to be any more. There were quite 'extreme' for the era. But the ambitious extended composition, At War With Satan, owed a lot to Connie's (Cronos) love of Rush and Tull (and Heep, Purple, Zepp etc.) He knew what 'long, drawn-out pompous' concepts were about. We get a very cool album with that. Watching interviews with him, he is pretty cool and straight-forward with his vision. Great attitude as well. No-one need fear Venom, just like a ramped-up Motörhead, really. And we all know Lemmy was in Hawkwind !! Venom injected (ha !) fun into the 'extreme' Metal of the time. And really enjoyed doing it. I really appreciate what Venom brought to the table.

This is slightly off topic but at the mention of Venom, this is a true story.  I attended a school play many years ago that a mate was doing teaching practice at and recommended that I should experience it.  It was in Newcastle upon Tyne.  Apparently, one of the pupils (sixth form, I hasten to add) was the girlfriend of Cronos who kindly agreed to provide special effects and 'vocals' into the proceedings.  Nowadays, I guess these would be classed as growls but back in '85 the audience were terrified.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 06:30
Off topic is sometimes the most interesting route to go - just like getting lost in a strange city sometimes is the most interesting way of discovering it. Great story monsieur flight.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Zappy View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 08:02
This band might be a bit off-topic and you may already know them but when it comes to bands that I find extremely original sounding I have to mention The Tea Club, especially their last album 'Grappling'. Yes, it is classic prog influenced but those brothers (Heads of the band) share a very distinct and unique composition style, using extremely original tone-material. The production is very interesting (even though semi-pro) and wonderfully dynamic. There is so much energy in this album and to me it just felt very forward thinking, which is why I am mentioning it here.

Edited by Zappy - December 03 2016 at 08:02
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2016 at 10:08
Certainly, prog rock and progressive music are different things now - but they always have been. The English prog founders of the late 60s surely were progressive, and that's why the genre got its name. But there were many others around at that times that were progressive but are either no longer considered prog (such as Jimi Hendrix - I once saw some old TV footage in which ha was announced as a "progressive rock artist") or never have been (such as The Velvet Underground). Some of these were even more progressive than the classic prog bands. Opinions are divided whether krautrock is prog or not, but their aesthetics was much more radical than that of their English counterparts, and they certainly were very progressive - more so than even King Crimson or Gentle Giant.

It is quite hard to be musically progressive today; it seems that everything has been already tried at least once. Especially if one looks past the confines of popular music, and considers the "serious" avant-garde. Atonality was 1907; 12-tone series were 1920 or so; total serialism was in the 1940s; electronics were early '50s, etc. A piece of music where not a single note sounds? Already done, you certainly know. A piece that lasts more than 500 years? Currently being performed in a derelict church in Germany. How can a rock band do something more radical?

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>