24 [23.08%]
3 [2.88%]
9 [8.65%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 12:53
Opeth.....never got into whatever it is they do.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 12:54
I've listened to two albums by Focus and... I only like ONE (1) track on these two albums...
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 13:18
Voted for Banco. The very few attempts to give them an entry failed this far.
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 16:36
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

It's between Kansas and Renaissance, I like the rest.
Went with Kansas but for me they are equally bad.
I have always been a big rush fan , its weird how we both like Rush .. but feel so different about Kansas .. new album is pretty convincing.  

Edited by Enchant X - December 04 2016 at 16:50
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2016 at 16:42
this is a tall poppy poll , the aim .. cut down the tall poppy Smile if you examine the ones not getting votes they are also the artists least likely to be anybodies favorites ... looks good for them till you analyze the psychology ..Opeth, Marillion and Kansas  .. lol all giants in the world of progressive rock people know..people will still pay big for a ticket to the show ... you see my point.. its a mud slinging poll with no winner because the winner is in fact the loser. 

Edited by Enchant X - December 04 2016 at 16:56
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 10:14
Easily Kansas.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 11:04
I love all these bands, but like Electronica the least, so went with TD.
Z
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 11:13
I just don't listen that much to bands I don't particularly like, so a pretty unqualified vote for Opeth based on knowing perhaps, generously estimated, 1/10 of their output.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 12:02
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

this is a tall poppy poll , the aim .. cut down the tall poppy Smile if you examine the ones not getting votes they are also the artists least likely to be anybodies favorites ... looks good for them till you analyze the psychology ..Opeth, Marillion and Kansas  .. lol all giants in the world of progressive rock people know..people will still pay big for a ticket to the show ... you see my point.. its a mud slinging poll with no winner because the winner is in fact the loser. 

Certainly the ones with considerable votes are the most divisive and liable to elicit the strongest reactions -- be it love or hate, and you do find camps of people who violently will support some groups while denouncing others. There is something of an us and them mentality which sometimes rears its head here. My least liked are the three with the most votes, Marillion, Kansas and Opeth, and my favourites are in the second group of votes: Tangerine Dream, Van der Graaf Generator, Gong and Banco del Mutuo Soccorso. Renaissance I might have expected to have somewhat more votes since it can be divisive (I like the debut). As for the ones with the least votes, one might say that they are the real losers for being inoffensive, milquetoast, mostly harmless bands. That said, I know lots of people love Camel, and it is a big name in Prog, and Focus is also popular but getting the least votes is something like being damned with faint praise. These are accessible groups to diverse listeners, but may not provoke that strong a reaction to most. Although Micky would say "f'ing Camel".

Incidentally, every friend with a big brother I knew had a Camel and Focus album. Hamburger Concerto and Snow Goose may have been the first Prog albums I heard (and a Gryphon). I like both of those albums a lot, but neither has received much play in many years.

Edited by Logan - December 05 2016 at 12:05
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 13:04
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

As for the ones with the least votes, one might say that they are the real losers for being inoffensive, milquetoast, mostly harmless bands. That said, I know lots of people love Camel, and it is a big name in Prog, and Focus is also popular but getting the least votes is something like being damned with faint praise. These are accessible groups to diverse listeners, but may not provoke that strong a reaction to most. 

One could think so but Camel are big, big poll winners here, they win 2/3 of the polls in which they turn up (and that's many), which is quite something and better than what one would expect of a band that does "not provoke a strong reaction in most".

Personally, by the way, I like Camel a lot, but still given that their music is so likable and (mostly) so little adventurous, I am somewhat flabbergasted by their winning powers here.

Edited by Lewian - December 05 2016 at 13:04
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 13:06
Never cared for Kansas; am not really familiar with Opeth. I like all of the others, at least in some phases of their careers.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 15:17
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

As for the ones with the least votes, one might say that they are the real losers for being inoffensive, milquetoast, mostly harmless bands. That said, I know lots of people love Camel, and it is a big name in Prog, and Focus is also popular but getting the least votes is something like being damned with faint praise. These are accessible groups to diverse listeners, but may not provoke that strong a reaction to most. 

One could think so but Camel are big, big poll winners here, they win 2/3 of the polls in which they turn up (and that's many), which is quite something and better than what one would expect of a band that does "not provoke a strong reaction in most".

Personally, by the way, I like Camel a lot, but still given that their music is so likable and (mostly) so little adventurous, I am somewhat flabbergasted by their winning powers here.

A strong reaction, maybe, but "may not provoke that strong a reaction to most". In other words, as it is not an imo terrible adventurous band, is generally likable, and is quite inoffensive, I think it less likely to arouse extremes of both love and hate amongst diverse listeners than various other bands. Camel does have a large fan-base and does do very well in polls, but I personally haven't witnessed much in the way of both intense adulation as well as murderous hatred amongst music fans. Okay, that's hyperbole, but you get the gist. We've had intense flame wars when it has come to other bands.

I suspect that the reason why they tend to do so well in many polls is partially because they are so uncontroversial as well as the fact that they are generally better known than most. A Camel, though it can be quite speedy, is often a plodding animal. It has endurance (despite any habit of smoking) and gets the job done, but it doesn't necessarily really excite anyone, except perhaps for some lonely Bedouins on those cold desert nights.

Looking at some polls, Pink Floyd smoked Camel. Okay, not so much smoked, but I couldn't resist saying that, but certianly beat it (much like beating a dead horse) quite soundly. In the big Prog bands competition, Gentle Giant beat Camel quite soundly. Camel barely beat out ELP. Of course one could expect Camel to beat out many lesser known bands, and as Symphonic Prog is so popular here, a Symph band will be likely to beat a band in less popular/ known categories here such as RIO, Krautrock, Zeuhl, and Canterbury. Camel is a safe bet for many, and it's quite common for people to vote in polls even if they don't know all the options (or even know one option).

Anyway, Camel is one of the most popular bands here, and slow and steady often wins the race.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 16:20
I thought this was going to be a tough poll until I saw Opeth.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2016 at 17:34
hmm, VDGG is the only group here that I really don't like anything I've heard, but I haven't heard alot.  I also don't much like what I've heard from Banco, but it doesn't sound as offensive as VDGG, and there is more chance they have something I would like.  So VDGG
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 17:33
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I thought this was going to be a tough poll until I saw Marillion that have even less talent than Opeth.

yep.... ClapLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 19:27
Well, I love Van der Graaf Generator, Kansas and Focus.

Some Gong I've loved, some I was more indifferent towards, some I wasn't so thrilled with.

Pretty much the same for Tangerine Dream, though I'm only familiar with a much smaller percentage of their output.

With Renaissance and Opeth, I'm familiar with only a small percentage of their output, too.  I've liked most of what I've heard okay, although I've never been particularly excited by any of it.

Re Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso, I'm pretty sure I've heard something of theirs in the past, but I sure don't recall what it would have sounded like, so who knows.

That leaves Camel and Marillion, where again I've only heard a small percentage of each's material, but in this case because I didn't really care for what I heard.  I vaguely remember liking Camel slightly more, though, so Marillion got my vote for who I like least.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2017 at 09:05
Tangerine Dream. I prefer music with a beat, maybe a guitar or two. Love all the rest - including Marillion, Opeth and Kansas, you crazy people.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2017 at 13:23
Tangerine Dream is a little sterile for my liking, so there it is (and I know nothing about Opeth [they must be good to have made this list]).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2017 at 17:44
Marillion from this list ~
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2017 at 18:05
Opeth, of course.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>