Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFilter for reviewers or artists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Filter for reviewers or artists
    Posted: December 08 2016 at 09:20
I would like to filter out all SillyPuppy Buckethead reviews. I think there very few, who are interested to read reviews or even listen any Buckethead music. 

Those redundant reviews take space from other artists from first page.
Maybe there should own sub site somewhere else for Buckethead reviews.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 13:01
Click on 'show last 50 reviews'
Problem solved.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 14:50
Silly Puppy is a constantly terrific reviewer who deserves credit for taking the time to review those albums that he personally finds worthwhile and interesting. He also writes extremely well and thoroughly, far better than the string of one-paragraph, `Some tracks are cool, some suck' kind of nothing reviews that pop up frequently here and there. He's a real credit to the site.

The Archives site is also littered with albums that remain unreviewed, so if he wants to spend the time writing about something that he personally finds interesting, more power to him.

Not everyone has to love everything that everyone reviews. Hell, I could care less if one person reads what I write or a dozen. I like to bat on about things that I personally find worthwhile and interesting, but I don't delude myself that it might always be something that appeals to every visitor of the site.

Besides, in the end, think back to the Simpsons Halloween episode where the advertising billboards come to life, and the trick to get them to go away was to simply stop taking notice. In other words:

In other words, perhaps just keep scrolling to the next review you find interesting instead!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 15:15
There's a lot of music in PA that I would never want to hear, but I can still enjoy reviews of those bands/ albums when well-written. Hvk, hopefully you will write more reviews for bands/artists that you think significant. I might enjoy reading them even though I have little interest in any of the albums or bands that you have rated.

Just read your 5 star review for Marillion's Happiness is the Road. Never got into Marillion, but your review has piqued my interest.

Originally posted by hvk hvk wrote:

This absolutely one of the best albums, which I have ever listened - and there are very many. I can't understand reviewers, who listen album two times and give judgement album: progressive music takes time to grow.
Kelly and Rothery seem to be primus motors of the band and I have learned to accept Hogarths voice and even like it nowadays (at first I thougth Hogarths voice spoils Marillions great music).

But the music is the best, there is an incredible amount of good tracks on these two albums. I like tracks like 'The man from the planet Marzipan', 'Asylum satellite', 'Trap this spark', 'This train', 'Happiness is the road', 'Essence', 'Thunderfly'...

The album is absolutely underrated.

Edited by Logan - December 08 2016 at 15:21
Just a fanboy passin' through.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 15:46
I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like the Marillion album.  Definitely not your cup of java.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 16:01
Maybe not, but I like to challenge my ears now and then. It can take effort to become acclimated to certain styles, but the results can open up new avenues of music. My tastes have broadened over the years.

As hvk writes in his review "progressive music takes time to grow", and I'd say progressive ears need time to grow (or tastes need time to progress). Similarly, don't know, but maybe Hvk hasn't given Buckethead enough of a chance, and to use terms he has used, may be underrating Buckethead's music, underrating Buckethead's relevance, and underrating potential interest in Buckethead.

To be honest, I've never given Marillion a fair chance since I went in armed to the hilt with my biases instead of just letting the music wash over me and trying to appreciate it for what it is. I do like a wide variety of music.

Edited by Logan - December 08 2016 at 16:05
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 16:08
Once I've started the thread called "Don't flood the front page", asking reviewers, collabs and non-collabs, not to post more than 1-2 reviews at once. It's simple like an egg, no matter are you smart or silly puppy. Wink

If PA members would follow this no filters needed.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 16:23
Back down to earth, well, yeah, that is an important issue (felt like raising it too). I remember once we had a reviewer who filled up the whole new reviews section -- can come off as spammy and disrespectful of other reviewers. Only a few Buckethead reviews were posted at once, though. Although I hardly ever review, I would never want to publish more than one at a time. If I produced a trilogy of films I probably would also rather that they be released one at a time over time.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 16:37
^ Yep, writing 3 more or less long reviews takes time. What makes people to collect and post all their revelations at once was always a mystery to me. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 16:38
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Back down to earth, well, yeah, that is an important issue (felt like raising it too). I remember once we had a reviewer who filled up the whole new reviews section -- can come off as spammy and disrespectful of other reviewers. Only a few Buckethead reviews were posted at once, though. Although I hardly ever review, I would never want to publish more than one at a time. If I produced a trilogy of films I probably would also rather that they be released one at a time over time.

Assuming I'm thinking of the person you're thinking of, I agree that that instance was much worse/annoying.

I have never had a problem with SP's Buckethead (or other) reviews being too prominent on the front page, just for the record.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2016 at 16:57
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I have never had a problem with SP's Buckethead (or other) reviews being too prominent on the front page.

Not a big deal, but multiple reviews of the same person "steal" the others glory. 
Imagine, you spend hours to write your only review, posted it and enjoy how well it looks on the front page ... and then...  out of the blue some goddamnmotherf**kersonofabitch throws in his "archives" and sweeps your thoughts away. It's a bit frustrating. Smile
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 04:17
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

Not a big deal, but multiple reviews of the same person "steal" the others glory. 
Imagine, you spend hours to write your only review, posted it and enjoy how well it looks on the front page ... and then...  out of the blue some goddamnmotherf**kersonofabitch throws in his "archives" and sweeps your thoughts away. It's a bit frustrating. Smile

Heh, anybody else remember the days of Kev Rowland posting anywhere between 40-70 of his old fanzine reviews in a straight row on the Archives?

Pretty sure this was my reaction more than a couple of times!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - December 09 2016 at 04:17
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 04:43

Once I've started the thread called "Don't flood the front page", asking reviewers, collabs and non-collabs, not to post more than 1-2 reviews at once. It's simple like an egg, no matter are you smart or silly puppy. Wink

If PA members would follow this no filters needed.
Yes is the answer. An overabundance of reviews of any prog artist's work, popular or not, is a turnoff, IMO. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 05:55
After clicking on "Last 50 Reviews", you can also edit the resultant URL directly(latest=[any number you like (within reason)].
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 10:09

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I have never had a problem with SP's Buckethead (or other) reviews being too prominent on the front page.

True, I can understand that. But SP's reviews are well written, fairly in depth, and serve a purpose (unlike the aforementioned other person). It's not like machine gun fire (like Buckethead releases albums for example Tongue)And serious question...how many of his reviews have been in the latest 10 reviews at a time (on average)?
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 14:10
^ Yes, SP posts no more than 3 reviews at once, so he is harmless.
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 00:47
Just for the record: I like Buckethead's music and I've appreciated SP's reviews.
 Post Reply Post Reply