Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTop Gigs Of 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top Gigs Of 2016
    Posted: December 09 2016 at 18:23
We're getting towards the end of the year so here are my favorite gigs of the year

Nik Bartsch Mobile - NYC - took the train down from Boston for a can't miss gig, absolutely stunning I was captivated from start to finish
Schnellertollermeier - Orion, Baltimore - Just had to drive from Boston for this one, stayed with Steve F & Joyce, great to see lots of friends and they tore it up at Orion, what a send off
Gutbucket - Boston - played a tiny venue, was sitting front and center, completely nuts, loved it
Bent Knee - Boston/ProgDay - saw them 3 times in 2016, never less than excellent, my favorite gig was probably with a couple of bizarre cabaret acts in Somerville
The Necks - Boston/Knoxville - played their new album in it s entirety in the German cultural center in Boston to a hushed crowd, goosebumps
Zoe Keating - Boston - solo cello in church - lovely stuff
God Is An Astronaut - Boston - very good shoegazing post rock
Go Go Penguin - Boston - superb three piece nu jazz combo, really enjoyed their stuff
Uz Jsme Doma - RIO France - been a bucket list band for ages, loved their set, had me dancing in the aisles
Upsilon Acrux - RIO France - 2nd time seeing and much more familiar with them, mesmerizing
Jump For Joy - RIO France - Faust / Henry Cow combo - hour long structured experimentation, wonderful
Half The Sky - RIO France - Playing the music of Lindsey Cooper, half of Western Culture, captivating
Sunn0))) - Big Ears Knoxville - crushingly loud and something to be experienced, a hoot
Tony Conrad & Faust - Outside The Dream Syndicate - a true exercise in minimalist avant garde heavy metal - loud and mesmerizing

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - December 09 2016 at 18:29
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 05:43
Motorpsycho+Carte Blanche@Oslo Opera House, Oslo (Jan)
Jaga Jazzist@Sentrum Scene, Oslo (Jan)
Motorpsycho@Rockefeller Music Hall, Oslo (Apr)
Krokofant@Blå, Oslo (Apr)
Panzerpappa@Gamla, Oslo (Apr)
Kraftwerk@Oslo Opera House, Oslo (Aug)
Bushman's Revenge@Victoria - National Jazz Scene, Oslo (Sep)
King Crimson@Sentrum Scene, Oslo (Sep)
Huntsville@Victoria - National Jazz Scene, Oslo (Sep)
Tortoise@John Dee, Oslo (Nov)
Bushman's Revenge@John Dee, Oslo (Nov)

All top notch, except for that last one. They were on the bill with another band I can't even remember the name of (they were quite unremarkable), and who played most of the evening, with BR joining them only for the last song. Quite disappointing. Unhappy If I'd known beforehand I wouldn't have gone.

And I'm still kicking myself for missing Supersilent and Møster!, both at Blå, in September and October respectively. Unhappy Taught me to pay better attention to my favourite bands and venues.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 05:53
Black Bombaim with Peter Brötzmann | Porto | Feb
Blues Pills + Pristine | Porto | Mar
Souq | Bustos | Mar
Black Mountain | Porto | Mar
Sensible Soccers | Coimbra | Apr
Esfera | Bustos | Apr
Carl Palmer | Lisboa | May
Equations | Coimbra | Jun
Astrodome | Figueira da Foz | Jul
WoodRock Festival (Big Red Panda, 10000 Russos, El Paramo, The Grand Astoria) | Quaios | Jul
SonicBlast Moledo (Acid Mess, Miss Lava, Sacri Monti, The Black Wizards, Stoned Jesus, Truckfighters) | Moledo | Aug
Reverence Valada (Papir, Yawning Man, Nik Turner, Ozric Tentacles, Øresund Space Collective) | Valada | Sep
Mette Henriette Trio | Coimbra | Oct
Peixe:Avião | Coimbra | Dec
 Post Reply Post Reply