Topic ClosedProg "Vacations"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog "Vacations"
    Posted: December 09 2016 at 19:37
I've always enjoyed prog because it's one of those genres that really takes you places with the music, so to speak. Different bands in the genre have vastly different approaches to their music and the atmosphere they create, so I always find it interesting seeing what kind of imagery bands can conjure up. A lot of my favourite prog bands/albums take me on a sort of "vacation" as I listen. For example:
  • Yes - Summertime camping trip up in the mountains, or a road trip along the coast.
  • Genesis - An idyllic cottage in the English countryside, with nightly excursions into town for the local theatre festival.
  • PFM - An all expenses paid cruise along the Mediterranean coast, followed by a tour through the hills of Tuscany, with fine dining, local music, and good company every night.
I'll post more as I think of them.

What I'd like to know is where exactly do different prog bands take you
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2016 at 23:40
Where I really like to escape to is deep space, the City of the Mysterons, somewhere with an atmosphere of awe and alien wonder. Achim Reichel has a great postcard on the sleeve of his Erholung (Vacations) album although Cluster, Tangerine Dream, Conrad Schnitzler and Klaus Schulze get the sound better Star.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 00:42
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Genesis - An idyllic cottage in the English countryside, with nightly excursions into town for the local theatre festival.

Klaus Schulze (especially Mirage) - Going on a walk with my dog around a beautiful frozen lake just a few days before Christmas, contemplating, watching the beautiful snow falling. Wonderful childhood memories.
Amon Duul II (especially Phallus Dei and Yeti) - Taking part in a psychedelic ritual in a dark forest on a warm summer day.
Henry Cow (especially LegEnd) - Watching this crazy, extremely skilled band of extremely intelligent individuals play in some sort of an avant-garde arts theater.
Hawkwind (especially Space Ritual and Doremi Fasol Latido) - Flying out of the Milky Way, passing odd planets no man has ever seen, watching strangely illuminating stars.
Van Der Graaf Generator (especially Pawn Hearts) - "Standing alone upon the highest clifftop and watching the ones I would dearly love to share with crashing on quite blindly to the sea." Looking exactly like the man on
Caspar David Friedrich's Wanderer above the Sea of Fog.
Gryphon (especially Red Queen To Gryphon Three) - Obviously takes me to renaissance, but there is something really solemn in a Christmas-like way about this music that I like.

There are quite a few places and situations I would like to name, but just can't seem to be able to put into words. I would like to make some connection with Bithces Brew, but I just can't. 

Edited by ALotOfBottle - December 10 2016 at 00:51
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 03:09
Van der Graaf Generator - that old house on the hill that is supposed to be haunted, but of course I don't believe in these ridiculous folk tales until I find out the hard way.

Hawkwind - a time-machine trip to the future, with all its wonders and horrors.

Popol Vuh -  some kind of ancient temple

Tangerine Dream evoke different images, depending on what album I listen to. for example: a part of Rubycon evokes the image of a man frantically galloping along a shoreline on a black horse, followed by Death on a pale skeletal steed swinging his scythe at him

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 03:47
I'm always fascinated when I play my music to non musicians and they say "Oooo, that reminds me of.... " 

I don't tend to think of imagery when composing music. It tends to feel right, and therefore is right. Musically, you can't think "What are the chords for a sunlit field full of daisies ? " - it doesn't work like that. 

Not for me, anyway. It may invoke those images in other people, and it invokes different kind of images in different people, so it just shows what a difference there is between the creator and observers.

Been posted here many times before, try this one. (New artwork). 

https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/track/hin-und-zuruck-3

This should be fairly obvious imagery. Tell me what you think it is, and, having wrote it, I'll tell you what I think it is. ;-) 

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 10 2016 at 03:48

Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 05:57
I agree with everything you guys (and girl) said.

Porcupine Tree: Being locked up in an aparment thinking of the girl who left you, looking at old pictures and toys you used to play with. You've been saving them for the kids you'll never have.

Primus: A freaking cave full of dwarves and bass-playing pigmen...and some other claymation creatures.

Angra: The treacherous Amazon rainforest , full of poisonous snakes and natives lurking behind trees.

Davesax1965, I'm not into electronic prog, but your music makes me think of a dystopian future, something like Blade Runner with a huge pyramid in the middle, overseeing it all.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 06:44
It's hard for me to say, since I take my IPOD with me, and I listen to all kinds of music while vacationing. Most of the time, I go backpacking, either in the mountains or the deserts of California, and I had quite a lot of great moments looking at the beauty of nature, while listening to great music by all of my favorite artists.

Edited by Manuel - December 10 2016 at 06:45
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 07:13
Kevin Ayers - Shooting at the Moon
King Crimson - Islands
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 09:17
I'm with Davesax on this one; for me music is for the ears and what imagery is invoked is in the first place none and in the second place musicians playing music (OK I grant them a light show at times).
That said, there are a few exceptions like Art Zoyd's subtle horror film suspense atmospheres, and various images by several Tangerine Dream albums, who probably succeeded to manipulate my imagination successfully by their covers (Zeit, Stratosfear, Sorcerer etc.).
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 09:36
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I don't tend to think of imagery when composing music. It tends to feel right, and therefore is right. Musically, you can't think "What are the chords for a sunlit field full of daisies ? " - it doesn't work like that. 

https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/track/hin-und-zuruck-3

This should be fairly obvious imagery. Tell me what you think it is, and, having wrote it, I'll tell you what I think it is. ;-) 

Hmm, interesting. Whenever I'm composing stuff, I tend to just noodle around until I get a certain chord progression or melody going that evokes some sort of imagery, then I work to develop themes around those. Everyone takes their own approach, I suppose.

Anyhow, as per your album, I get a lot of industrial sorts of vibes, like I'm taking a train through a cyberpunk warehouse. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 10:19
Loving some of the other ones being listed here! Thumbs Up

Some more of my own:

Arco Iris - Going for a hike through the most remote corners of the Andes, only to accidentally have some local "herbs" and go on a surrealist voyage for a few days straight.

Harmonium - Lazy, carefree days up at the lake in western Quebec, surrounded by family. 

Maneige - Sitting in a cozy Montreal apartment on a snowy night shortly before Christmastime. 

Rayuela - A nighttime drive through Buenos Aires, ending in a secluded hollow on the banks of the Rio de la Plata. 

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - December 10 2016 at 10:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 02:33
Charles De Quincey, in "Confessions of an English Opium Eater" said that if opium were given to a very dull cowherd who only thought of cows, in his opium revel, he would still probably only think of cows.

Ex nihilo nihil fit. "Out of nothing comes nothing."

I did a rather way out track called "Ketamine Dream Machine". 

https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/track/3-ketamine-dream-machine

Actually, it wasn't originally called anything. I was messing about on sax and came up with a very slurred and laid back solo. "I could use that", I thought - I'd already got drums in, so I added bass. It seemed to want some weird sound effects, so I played around with the frequency modulation on a Korg MS20 and then started added some background pads and effects. As it became a bit more clear that this was a pretty way out track, I thought why the hell not and added some middle Eastern style percussion and the whole thing went the way it did. 

Composition on the fly. It "sounds right" and that's how tracks - and solos - evolve. If I'm doing a sax solo, the whole thing kind of unfolds as I play it. 

Anyway, at the end of it, I'd come up with a track which sounded rather like a weird trip. I'd actually had a cough medicine overdose a few weeks before - so the phrase "ketamine" came up and then "dream machine" seemed an alliterative add on. ;-) Is it about drugs ? No, not really. Unless you count too much cough medicine as a Class A substance.

When played to other people, I get all kinds of weird and unexpected comments back like flying through space. Wow, weird. I've always wondered how non musicians perceive music, and I suppose a lot of it must be figurative, referring to impressions caused by the music and a response to the beat or rhythm itself. Doesn't work like that when composing music. It just sounds right.

Another example ? Try this. (Not trying to sell an album here, just giving an example.)

https://brotherhoodofthemachine.bandcamp.com/track/1-nocturnal-transmission

That track is mainly a sax solo which just completely evolved out of nowhere. There's a soundscape in the background. Break the solo up into 4 bar sections and you can see it develops on itself like a conversation. Becoming a musician, as opposed to someone who just "plays" music, is about developing a back catalogue of ideas gleaned from other musicians - you create a directory of ideas in your head and are capable of producing something which sounds right *by instinct*. There is no conscious thought or "I know, I'll play this, that'll bring in an image of...... " 

Nope. To quote Charlie Parker, "First master the instrument, then master the music and then...... just play."

Edited by Davesax1965 - December 18 2016 at 02:35

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 02:37
How about a vacation from prog.  That I could use.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 03:12
+1. ;-)

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 05:53
I take several vacations a day.

I am fairly certain I "suffer" from some form of synesthesia as music always sparks colours and shapes. Some albums in particular deliver in spades when it comes to this - Tangerine Dream's Rubycon fx has always managed to invoke serpentine patterned sandstone pyramids and purpleish blue starlight in this listener.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 05:56
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

How about a vacation from prog.  That I could use.

Pop on Wham's Club Tropicana.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 05:59
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I take several vacations a day.

I am fairly certain I "suffer" from some form of synesthesia as music always sparks colours and shapes. Some albums in particular deliver in spades when it comes to this - Tangerine Dream's Rubycon fx has always managed to invoke serpentine patterned sandstone pyramids and purpleish blue starlight in this listener.

I do "suffer" from some kind of synesthesia, but for me sounds come along with tastes.

So when I say I distaste some kind of music I mean it literally.

Edited by BaldFriede - December 18 2016 at 06:01

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2016 at 06:03
Food and music go hand in hand with me so I am with you there. I do get something akin to "flavours" but they're really not although I often describe em as such. More of a fickle sensation happening in my brain where tastes presumerably live...but there is no contact to my tongue.

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 01:33
Actually, now it's been mentioned, I do get some imagery when listening to Tangerine Dream's Phaedra. 

Perhaps I've got no imagination. ;-)

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2016 at 02:37
Tangerine Dream works very well for me, too. I have a small mp3 reader which works underwater and I was used to listen to Zeit while swimming in a pool.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>