Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you like most prog rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do you like most prog rock?
    Posted: December 10 2016 at 07:54
I am really more of a jazz guy and play guitar in a quartet, but I have always mixed in a healthy dose of prog rock and classical. I have been listening to prog since the early 1980s.  I recently got some excellent new suggestions here that I have been enjoying.  That being said, I find prog (broadly defined) to be a very frustrating genre for me. I absolutely love bands like Yes, Gentle Giant, Yezda Urfa, The Flower Kings, echolyn, and some Magma.   Right now, I am really enjoying some cuts from Seven Steps to the Green Door's Fetish, 3rdegree, Cheeto's Magazine, Moon Safari, Ampledeed, and Mad Fellaz. However, it's a pain in the neck to find this stuff!  Most prog sounds absolutely awful to me (e.g., terrible vocals, complexity for the sake of complexity). I have been sorting through the reviews here by year and trying to listen to albums with ratings of 3.5 or greater in a few subcategories (eclectic, crossover, symphonic, neo-prog). The vast majority of albums that are rated greater than 3.5 stars I find unlistenable.  I generally have to sift through 50 or so albums before I find something that I like (that's how I found Ampledeed, Mad Fellaz, and Cheeto's magazine - by probably listening to parts of 150 other albums that I didn't like at all).  So here's my question: Do you find yourself liking most prog, or do you have to listen to a ton of stuff to find a few gems?        
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 08:02
Originally posted by Rick5A Rick5A wrote:

Do you find yourself liking most prog, or do you have to listen to a ton of stuff to find a few gems?        
I had to listen to a ton of stuff to find a few gems - something I, in regards to prog don't really do anymore. Now I rather listen to tons of other stuff to find a few other gems. It's easier to find jazz-gems than in any other existing genre though.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 08:05
Ignore the ratings and read the reviews. Pay attention to the reviewers whose tastes are similar to yours.

Ratings suck and at least half of the music listed in the PA database sucks.
Magma America Great Make Again
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 08:15
I generally like most of classic era prog that I stumbled upon (including bands from all over the world and those "rawer" pre-1970 bands like Family and East of Eden), but there were also many not-so-versatile bands that tried too hard to be prog with disastrous results and a few more respected names that have some quite annoying elements in their repertoire (VdGG, Il Baletto di Bronzo...).
However, 60 % of newer prog bands contain something that irritates me, mostly some aesthetics borrowed from metal (not necessary overtly distorted guitars and growling vocals, more often some overall cheesiness) or indie rock that I don't particularly like.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 08:23
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Ignore the ratings and read the reviews. Pay attention to the reviewers whose tastes are similar to yours.

I don't trust PA-ratings at all especially because some reviewers also rates albums higher or lower in regards of its "progginess" - something I find very silly. + of course if a neo prog expert/collaborator rates an obscure avant-album one or two stars, PA has decided that it should be many times more worth than my hypotecial five star rating (TEN times more if its a review*). As my opinion is considered less worth I never rate or review here though.  

If anything I trust RYM-ratings more. Also for prog.

*edit: if its still not changed

Edited by Saperlipopette! - December 10 2016 at 08:28
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 08:33
Yes. I love all the styles and subgenres. I however do not love all artists and albums equally
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 09:06
I can find something in most prog that makes it at least OK for me, meaning that I'm happy if it's played in a pub or on the radio compared with the stuff that's usually played there. The stuff that is so good that I want to buy it or even think it's really great is pretty rare, but still in prog it's more widespread than elsewhere.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 09:10
Not in the least. I like some or even just one band from the various subgenres. I like Marillion and Solstice from neo prog, but little else that's neo, for example. Same with Canterbury. I like Soft Machine but ignore the rest like the plague. I gave up listing to the 'big six" (ELP, Yes, Floyd, etc.) ages ago.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Rick5A View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 09:18
Thanks for the great replies, everybody!

Originally posted by HosiannaMantra HosiannaMantra wrote:

However, 60 % of newer prog bands contain something that irritates me, mostly some aesthetics borrowed from metal (not necessary overtly distorted guitars and growling vocals, more often some overall cheesiness) or indie rock that I don't particularly like.

I have a similar problem.  I have trouble finding newer bands because I don't like the metal influences which seem to be extremely common.  For me, however, I could never listen to anything with any type of growling vocals. It's also not heavy distortion that is a problem for me but more so some of the guitar rhythms that are characteristic of modern metal (in addition to the vocals).  For example, I love King Crimson and Anekdoten, both of which can be quite heavy, but they don't sound like metal at all.  Seven Steps to the Green Door is a perfect example for me.  I love about half of what I have been listening to over the last week and can't listen to the other half due to the metal influences.  They would easily be one of my favorite newer bands without those influences, but instead I am left listening to half the tracks and skipping the rest.   

Rick5A View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 09:22
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Not in the least. I like some or even just one band from the various subgenres. I like Marillion and Solstice from neo prog, but little else that's neo, for example. Same with Canterbury. I like Soft Machine but ignore the rest like the plague. I gave up listing to the 'big six" (ELP, Yes, Floyd, etc.) ages ago.

It seems it is not an uncommon problem! I was never an ELP, Floyd, or Genesis fan but have remained a Yes fan forever (as well as Gentle Giant and King Crimson).  I am sure I will be listening to those bands forever. 
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 10:07
I like most of the Krautrock sub-genre and have since come to enjoy quite a lot of the classic prog including some I definitely didn't like a few decades back, such as Yes, ELP and Henry Cow. The ratings and reviews have definitely helped me with this Clap.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 10:08
In short, no.

There are some subgenres that I have yet to acquire any appreciation for with a few exceptions (prog metal, neo, Krautrock). On the other hand, though, there are some subgenres that I will almost always enjoy (symphonic, eclectic, RPI, JR/F, zeuhl). But even in these subgenres there are dozens (if not hundreds) of albums that are objectively bad.

And as for the "big 6"? I don't think I've met a single person who adores all 6 of these bands. Personally I only consider myself a fan of 2 of them (Yes, King Crimson), while two more have a handful of albums I enjoy a lot interspersed among albums I dislike a lot (Genesis, Pink Floyd), and I really don't care for the other two, save for a selection of individual tracks (ELP, Jethro Tull). 

All in all, I'd say that of all of the prog that I've found on this site and searched out online, which must be at least 1000 albums by this point, I flat out dislike 30-40% of it, with little intention to ever listen to it again. Of the 60-70% that I do enjoy, I'd guess that 25-30% of that is stuff that I've liked enough to actually add to my "to-buy" list. And of the stuff that I do end up buying, I can think of around 15-20 albums that I'd consider to be absolutely essential pieces of music that I couldn't live without.

So I'd say that I tolerate 70% of prog, like 25% of it, and love 0.5% of it.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 10:19

Best advice here. Naturally I'm intrigued if I see an album with a rating of 4.25, but if I read the reviews and everyone's raving about how this band is the best and boldest Steven Wilson clone of 2014 with a heavy synthpop influence, I'm going to lose interest pretty quick. That's a masterpiece to some, but a complete aneurysm for my tastes. 

Actually, I've found that the most accurate gauge of how much I'll enjoy an album is just how much I like the album cover. Many of my all time favourites are ones that I only checked out because I thought the album art looked cool or pretty. Rainbow's Rising, Brand X's Moroccan Roll, Rayuela's album, Harmonium's Cinquieme Saison, Genesis' Trespass, PFM's Storia Di Un Minuto, King Crimson's In The Wake of Poseidon, Quella Vecchia Locanda's debut, etc.  
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 11:27
Since this subject is determined by personal taste, I can agree that a lot of bands don't do it for me, like The Mars Volta for example, not because of the quality of the music, but for how they appeal (or not) to me. I guess is the same for everybody, you like a band and their music for your own personal reasons, and that's the way it should be, either they are considered prog or not, if they are quite popular or not, or if the critics give them a good review or trash them completely.

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 11:44

This.   

I feel your pain Rick.  You and I,  our tastes run parallel.  So, when I see a band you like that I haven't heard, I go check then out.  BINGO!  85 percent of the time I really like it.   

Oh, I almost forgot...  try Seven Impale.Wink   
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 13:14
I like most Prog that I've bothered with. I just don't bother with most Prog metal, but there is some good modern stuff out there (half of it, though, is older artists doing newer stuff). From the classic era, I definitely do not like Gentle Giant or Magma. My ability to appreciate for Hawkwind is low. Not real crazy about Yes except on odd occasions. I do like much of the orchestral side of Prog (e.g. Genesis, King Crimson). I play guitar, and do tend toward relatively guitar-busy over relatively keyboard-busy Prog (e.g. Jade Warrior, Focus, Frank Zappa). I like much of Floyd influenced psychedelic (e.g. Floyd, Amon Düül II, the first Nektar album). I like much of the Jazz-tinged side of Prog (e.g. Frank Zappa, Soft Machine, Gong, Canterbury in general, Miles Davis).

Concerning Jazz, I like Ragtime quite a bit. I skip over the whole swing era, trying to pretend it never existed. I find Bebop occasionally tolerable. And I have a warm fuzzy toward more modern Jazz like Thelonius Monk and others.

Edited by HackettFan - December 10 2016 at 13:15
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Rick5A View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 13:25
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

This.   

I feel your pain Rick.  You and I,  our tastes run parallel.  So, when I see a band you like that I haven't heard, I go check then out.  BINGO!  85 percent of the time I really like it.   

Oh, I almost forgot...  try Seven Impale.Wink   

Cool.  I will.  I owe you a huge thanks.  Your recommendations on the other thread (especially 3rdegree and Seven Steps to the Green Door) are what got me excited about trying to search for newer bands again (something I had not done in years).  A few others that I like:
Bubblemath:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2RC0yVec2Q

Eyal Amir/Project RNL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fle2Iuc_isI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKckKBYmN_4

Madrigal:
In Spotify under "Madrigal 1988-1996 A compilation Waiting and On My Hands

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 15:16
To paraphrase Sturgeon's Law: 90% of prog is crap, but then 90% of everything is crap.

Edited by Mascodagama - December 10 2016 at 15:18
Rick5A View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 15:21
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Concerning Jazz, I like Ragtime quite a bit. I skip over the whole swing era, trying to pretend it never existed. I find Bebop occasionally tolerable. And I have a warm fuzzy toward more modern Jazz like Thelonius Monk and others.

I don't listen to much ragtime (other than the occasional scott joplin tune), and I don't like the swing era either.  I love bop.  I could listen to charlie parker 24/7.  I also love monk, coltrane, mingus, pat martino, bill evans, miles, hal galper, wes montgomery - the list could go on and on.  Also, modern players like Gerald Clayton, Taylor Eigsti, and Ibrahim Maalouf.  In contrast to prog, it's very easy for me to find jazz stuff that I really love. 
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2016 at 19:32
I'm pretty (too?) easy to please when it comes to prog.  I like things to varying degrees from all of the sub-genres on PA.  Of course I don't like all things equally, and certainly dislike some.

I do agree that many modern bands have too much metal influence.  And I say that as a fan of metal.  It doesn't turn me off, as such, but sometimes I have to ask why...
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>