Topic ClosedDo you like most prog rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 15:55
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Metal, Punk, Hip Hop, Dance, Trance all belong in the bin LOL

Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Asund View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 16:01
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Full disclosure: being someone quickly irritated, I've tried to troll another forumite who got on my nerves after criticising the music I produce. So, I've started writing stupid, rubbish, garbage-like stuff as answers to his posts.
Don't believe a word I typed here and Bring The Noise.

Sounds a bit complicated. Da dah dum.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 13:06
Rocks are hard and they hurt when they're thrown at you. I should know better than anyone.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Asund View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 15:58
Critcism and ridicule are different things. People confuse the two. For how could they refuse what their society has programmed them into furnished them with.

Edited by Asund - January 07 2017 at 15:58
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 14:20
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

So you prefer progressive music over prog.

Once upon a time it was prog but I've come to love music of most genres. I'm interested in sounds I haven't heard before and the endless sea of possibilities music has to offer, aka not putting myself in a box.
Smile

I explored a lot of "classic prog" in my teens but admittedly got bored with it after a while. 
The past 5 years I've been especially obsessed with 20th century classical music and I've explored it's many facets.

I am intellectually interested in various kinds of "progressive" music, including not only prog but such things as free jazz, contemporary classical, Krautrock and what I call, for lack of a better term, "anti-prog", the dark yin to the colourful yang of prog (or is that the dark yang to the colourful yin?), the cynic and nihilist side of artistic rock starting with the Velvet Underground, Zappa and the like, and onward through noise rock and industrial to technical extreme metal and whatever label one may attach to bands like Tool. These kinds of music are for a large part more complex, sophisticated and radical than most prog.

But when it comes for listening to something for pleasure, I prefer prog, from proto and classic prog through neo-prog and heavy prog to prog metal, new prog and even that much-maligned retro prog.

Quote Right now I'm actually starting to get in to hip hop/rap, believe it or not.
I like folk music, metal, jazz, "early music" (medieval and renaissance), electronic, funk, etc etc without getting into subgenres. 
But ultimately I'm more interested in the future than the past now

Fair. So you are very broad-minded when it comes to music; this is certainly a good thing. I am also more interested in the future than the past. But the past is what we have, the future is what we still have to make. I hope to contribute to the future of prog with my band, Path of Vision. Meanwhile, I have ideas that are too radical for that band, and may pursue them in solo projects later.

Edited by WeepingElf - January 08 2017 at 14:26
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 06:56
Originally posted by Asund Asund wrote:

Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Supplemental - @ Terrapin: it's whoa....versus wo-ah.
I prefer "woah"

It's only correct for millenials. (And James Hetfield.) That is, it's wrong.

Looks like Logan's hand got slapped. Mine is in conference with the committee. Learning how to break the rules tends to break the system in convention  (*8-))

There's no right or wrong for language, just conventional (or conformist we could say) and unconventional (or non-conformist).  As a prog fan, I don't mind the unconventional, and sometimes I prefer it.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 07:37
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Never heard about Steely Dan

Woah--seriously?

you'd be surprised... when I added them to the database I got a number of PM's thanking me. not for recognizing them for what they were, but exposing them TO the group. In fact I still get them, a really nice guy PM'd me last month.

Steely Dan is awesome. Just great music.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 07:47
Seems like folks still haven't caught onto the special variant of burlesque, French style.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 08:08
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Seems like folks still haven't caught onto the special variant of burlesque, French style.

I'm not sure I would call it "burlesque", but rather "idiotic fit of misplaced tempter" from my part.
I was high, it was a crying disgrace, so I will drink my Big Black Cow and get out of here...
Asund View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 16:49

There's no right or wrong for language, just conventional (or conformist we could say) and unconventional (or non-conformist).  As a prog fan, I don't mind the unconventional, and sometimes I prefer it.

There's functional language, yo. You're just invoking subjective relativism to excuse your whim.
Rosscoe View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 05:29
Originally posted by Rick5A Rick5A wrote:

I am really more of a jazz guy and play guitar in a quartet, but I have always mixed in a healthy dose of prog rock and classical. I have been listening to prog since the early 1980s.  I recently got some excellent new suggestions here that I have been enjoying.  That being said, I find prog (broadly defined) to be a very frustrating genre for me. I absolutely love bands like Yes, Gentle Giant, Yezda Urfa, The Flower Kings, echolyn, and some Magma.   Right now, I am really enjoying some cuts from Seven Steps to the Green Door's Fetish, 3rdegree, Cheeto's Magazine, Moon Safari, Ampledeed, and Mad Fellaz. However, it's a pain in the neck to find this stuff!  Most prog sounds absolutely awful to me (e.g., terrible vocals, complexity for the sake of complexity). I have been sorting through the reviews here by year and trying to listen to albums with ratings of 3.5 or greater in a few subcategories (eclectic, crossover, symphonic, neo-prog). The vast majority of albums that are rated greater than 3.5 stars I find unlistenable.  I generally have to sift through 50 or so albums before I find something that I like (that's how I found Ampledeed, Mad Fellaz, and Cheeto's magazine - by probably listening to parts of 150 other albums that I didn't like at all).  So here's my question: Do you find yourself liking most prog, or do you have to listen to a ton of stuff to find a few gems?        
Interesting post, since the 4 subgenres you mentioned are the only ones I take any notice of.  Perhaps there are albums out there in other subgenres I would enjoy, but it involve too much experimentation with stuff I don't enjoy to identify them.

I seem to prefer modern prog to 70s-era prog.  I've no time at all for Yes, but I'm slowly getting acquainted with early Genesis.  Most of the other "big" prog groups I am yet to try, but I am put off by dated production as a rule.

I have listed to 7 Steps' Fetish once, and intend to revisit it, as I enjoyed it quite a lot for a first listen.  There were passages that were too heavy for my tastes, but as they were passages and not entire songs I may be able to work with that.  There were plenty of passages I really enjoyed.

You might enjoy Anubis (Tower of Silence) and Big Big Train, but I can't get a reliable reference point for your tastes as I haven't heard any of the other bands you mentioned!
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 13:06

There's functional language, yo. You're just invoking subjective relativism to excuse your whim.

"Functional language" being?

Re subjectivity and relativism, that's just the point.  There are no objective, absolute facts re correctness when it comes to language.
Asund View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 16:50
Ain't dated. Jesus. Just isn't playdoh colored, like a Marvel film. We'd all be better off if popcul abruptly fell into the abyss. Ain't nothin novel in it, and never gonna be no more.

@Terrapin: since you're obviously a civilian, I'm going to ignore that.

Edited by Asund - January 11 2017 at 16:51
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 07:32
When you havent been here for a while - you just have to LOL about all the totalyishbulldumpers you have missed.  

Gold like this : "Now my preferences happen to oftenly line up with what is 'good'...."

and from the more serious catagory this masterpiece : 
"Debussey" suspiciously sounds French (btw, isn't Ravel the leader of some strange sect which is all about aliens and that stuff?)

what about this : "Nah, I forced myself to listen to it half a dozen times and I still hate it like the first time"
........ but why ? ?

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 07:38
"There's functional language, yo."    wut ! 
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 07:45
And now to the question:

No, prog have become i huge umbrella so it is unlikely to love it all, but i like most of the classic's (about 80-90 % of what i know of) and not so much of the post 1990's prog, about about 25% of what I have listned to. 

Edited by tamijo - January 20 2017 at 01:30
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 11:51

...ANGEL OF DEATH.....MARCH TO THE KINGDOM OF THE DEAAAAD". 

Oh for crying out loud!  Its MONARCH! Not march.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 13:48
I liked all progressive rock in the seventies. In the eighties this changed with neo, which was inconsistent. When the old bands returned in the nineties, they were as good as ever but it was short-lived. Now, most bands that call themselves progressive do not appeal to me at all. I cannot remember the last time I heard a new album by a new band, or even an old band, that excited me like Court of the Crimson King, Brain Salad Surgery or Danger Money. I remain open to suggestion, after all where there is life there is hope.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 13:55
For me it's the diversity and virtuosity.
I'll never stop loving prog. I look at all my prog albums as my investment and retirement package.
Will listen to the day I die. Some albums are coming to the grave with me.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456