FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStrangely similar songs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2016 at 10:48
The main melody from Starless is reworked from the Bolero section of Lizard. Listen to the oboe lines around 5:20-6:00 in Lizard and you should hear what I mean.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2016 at 12:25
From the first time I heard it, 0:38 (it shows up elsewhere in the song) of Memento Z Banalnym Tryptykiem...

sounded like a composition from The Snow Goose. Particularly the last nine seconds of Fritha, but it may show up elsewhere. Not sure if I'm mad or there's actually a similarity.

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2016 at 12:40
^ Nope, I totally hear it. That SBB melody is about as Camel-esque as they come.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2016 at 20:51

I haven’t seen the Allman Brothers/Camel connection come up too often, but the former clearly influenced the latter’s early material.  Play In Memory of Elizabeth Reed back-to-back with Lady Fantasy if you don’t believe me.

The central piano riff in A Christmas Camel by Procol Harum was almost certainly inspired by the one in Ballad of a Thin Man by Bob Dylan.

The chord sequence in Hawkwind’s Wind of Change has gotten a lot of use, such as in Runaway by Del Shannon.

Edited by AreYouHuman - December 16 2016 at 21:41
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2016 at 21:37
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

I haven’t seen the Allman Brother/Camel connection come up too often, but the former clearly influenced the latter’s early material.  Play In Memory of Elizabeth Reed back-to-back with Lady Fantasy if you don’t believe me.

Oh man, our stars must be aligned or something (figuratively, of course; I don't actually believe in astrology). I've been thinking that Andrew Latimer must have been a huge Allman Brothers fan for the longest time! Thumbs Up

You can definitely hear similarities between a lot of early Camel material and Liz Reed. Six Ate and Curiosity really spring to my mind, with the light jazzy feel that all of them share in the melodies and soloing department. Another one that's always stood out to me is the 4/4 symphonic section in live versions of Whipping Post. It sounds just like something that would have been thrown on Mirage.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2016 at 22:31
Whenever I hear Troller Tanz I can't help singing "We fight, and fight, and fight fight fight fight fight..."

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 09:13
There is some really obscure song from the mid seventies by an artist from either Spain or South America who had a song that had a part that sounded pretty much identical to part of the song "Life's been good" by Joe Walsh(the "my maserati does 185 I lost my license now I don't drive" and the other parts that sound like it).  I really can't remember who the Spanish singing artist or group is but it's pretty obscure. 
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 19:42
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

I haven’t seen the Allman Brother/Camel connection come up too often, but the former clearly influenced the latter’s early material.  Play In Memory of Elizabeth Reed back-to-back with Lady Fantasy if you don’t believe me.

Oh man, our stars must be aligned or something (figuratively, of course; I don't actually believe in astrology). I've been thinking that Andrew Latimer must have been a huge Allman Brothers fan for the longest time! Thumbs Up

You can definitely hear similarities between a lot of early Camel material and Liz Reed. Six Ate and Curiosity really spring to my mind, with the light jazzy feel that all of them share in the melodies and soloing department. Another one that's always stood out to me is the 4/4 symphonic section in live versions of Whipping Post. It sounds just like something that would have been thrown on Mirage.

I’m a Gemini myself.  And I don’t give a darn!  Tongue

But yeah, that Camel/Allmans similarity should be obvious to anyone who’s actually paying attention and isn’t tone-deaf, which would include (so-called) critics for Rolling Stone.  Back in the 1980s, they put out their so-called Record Guide, which was apparently designed for the extremely gullible and easily led.  Their entry for Camel “covered” only Mirage, Snow Goose and Moonmadness in one short paragraph, which showed so abundantly that this yutz must have given each album only the most cursory listen, overlooking the aforementioned similarity and already had a bias against “that kind” of music, labeling the band as a “low-rent Moody Blues.”  Yeah, I know, consider the source. Confused

That’s stuck in my craw for years and I just had to get it off my chest.

Moving on…the Itchy and Scratchy/Magma comparison above brings to mind how the Grobschnitt song “The Excursion of Father Smith” contains a bass riff that has always had me singing along with it “Flintstones, meet the Flintstones…” LOL

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2016 at 20:51
How about this one. This is pretty well known

The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 03:09
The end of Dance On A Volcano and Fracture are very similar. 
Rapanoid View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 18:46
JERRY WAS A RACE ELEPHANT TALKER TAXI DRIVER by Rapanoid and King Primusson (take 1 veeeery very drunk)

https://soundcloud.com/diggei-rapina/jerry-was-a-race-elephant-talking-taxi-driver-take-one

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 19:15
The main riff at 2.45mns for Eloy’s “Paralyzed Civilization” and Spooky Tooth’s classic “the Mirror”

Edited by tszirmay - December 26 2016 at 19:18
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 19:42
I don't know why, but I can interlock some vocal melodies of Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun with Floyd's Learning To Fly. Or vice-versa....

Edited by Tom Ozric - December 26 2016 at 19:44
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 19:45
I can't tell the difference between Fleetwood Mac's `Never Going Back Again' and a dog turd on the street....
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 22:59
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I can't tell the difference between Fleetwood Mac's `Never Going Back Again' and a dog turd on the street....
LOLLOLLOLClapClapClap
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 23:21
Oh, Thomas, I was only being snarky, but Tom Ozric knows my passionate dislike for that song! Years and years ago when I was younger I worked in a supermarket, and they had these tapes that would replay on relay in-store every day or two, and that song would constantly show up, although I had no idea what it was (this was also pre-internet/Google, so no luck there!). I'd be like `What is this plinky-plonky crap, so chirpy and pretty?!', and that jangly acoustic guitar!! It drove me CRAZY! It was only years later that I was able to do an internet search for the lyrics that it came up, cue me - `WHAT?!'

Heh, I hadn't heard the `Rumours' album at that point, but oddly I did have the double `Tusk' and quite enjoyed it. It would have been pretty funny if I'd decided to grab `Rumours' at some point and been casually listening and then suddenly it came on....pretty sure my mind would have shut down to protect itself! I'd be like `Ohhh, son of a.....'
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2016 at 23:19
been down two time...
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2016 at 23:24
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

been down two time...

SON OF A...!!!   
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 02:21
^ Fleetwood Mac were a decent band pre-74.........
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 02:36
I don't know if I'd even consider them a bad band in that pop period, Tom. I mean, not very interesting (at least for many of us prog-snobs!), but they've enjoyed death by complete and utter radio over-exposure over the decades, though to be fair they were pretty good commercial pop/rock songs. I just thought their albums from that period sounded like compilations of different bands as opposed to one single group. I've only ever had the double `Tusk' album from that period and always thought it was occasionally great, but I wouldn't have listened to it in about twenty years at this point, and can't say I have much interest in going back to it.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - December 28 2016 at 02:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>