Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Eloy appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 15:54
I first heard Eloy do a BBC radio session for Tommy Vance roundabout 1981 (?).. 2 tracks from 'Performance', 'Out of a sombre galaxy' (from time to turn) and a track from 'Planets' (though i cant remember which one); i taped it off the radio (LOL) at the time and had it for years (though lost it at some point- i have seen an over-priced, presumably unofficial, CD of these sessions on Ebay).. they did play a couple of nights at the Marquee club in 1983 (i think, ive looked for my ticket stub but cant find it..) which i seem to remember were booked then cancelled then re-instated. I cant remember much detail to be honest (that was my fault..Confused) but it was very cramped on stage with two keyboard set-ups etc as well as in the crowd and the set was mostly 'Performance' with tracks from Planets and time to turn. I think at the time they were 'lumped in' with many of the 'Neo-prog' bands and as a lot of people hadnt heard of them, assumed they were a relatively new band.. i had got a few of the older lps on 'Conifer Import' (Colours and Ocean) on German Harvest label.. but of course they had a tightness and confidence which stunned a lot of people (who were expecting something like IQ or Twelfth Night). Many years later i made contact with someone else who was at the gig and was selling their fully signed picture disc of Performance, which i duly bought!

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 01:38
^ both shows are available as bootleg (I have them both). The BBC-radio thing is very well produced.
Indeed these days they were more of hardrock band than a spacerock band. Shorter songs, two guitarists, a heavy metal drummer etc.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 13:29
I'll look out for them!! it seems a long time ago (well, it was... and in a galaxy far far away too!). Of course they were released on 'Heavy metal worldwide' label in the UK and at that time there was quite a leap forward in guitar tech, pedals, effects as well as digital synths and that gave them a more 'modern rock' sound.. but i still found them very 'spacey' in their sound. and i actually really like performance and metromania.. at the same time (one of my other long time favourite bands) Hawkwind were modernising their sound with a lot of digital sequencers and they were seen to be moving more to a 'hard-rock' sound away from space-rock but its just an inevitable movement with the times.

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2017 at 17:52
How I wish I knew of the group in the early 1980s, but then I doubt they ever made it to America, and big trips were not in my consciousness (or budget) then
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 01:31
I like almost every album Eloy did. The psychedelic ones, the symphonic ones, the spacerock ones, and even the mroe hardrock ones.

The 1979-1984 version of Eloy was very tight and could play circles around many of the then emerging neo-prog bands. Same goes for Saga (often cited as neoprog)
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 15:06
Ive just dug out my vinyl copy of 'Ego on the rocks- Acid in wounderland'.. what a fantastic lp; i found it on import back in the very early 80's after a tip from an old scouse buddy.. with all the voices and 'cut-ups' between and within the tracks, it is very trippy and quite different from what Eloy were doing in 1980.

I also dug out my copy of the first Eloy lp (Trash-can) on Phillips.. it is a very different sort of lp, early 70's heavy rock- more political lyrics and a harder, rougher edge. I dont really know much about its genesis or how/why they changed their style.. i havent really played it a great deal. any thoughts?

kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 17:14
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Ive just dug out my vinyl copy of 'Ego on the rocks- Acid in wounderland'.. what a fantastic lp; i found it on import back in the very early 80's after a tip from an old scouse buddy.. with all the voices and 'cut-ups' between and within the tracks, it is very trippy and quite different from what Eloy were doing in 1980.

I also dug out my copy of the first Eloy lp (Trash-can) on Phillips.. it is a very different sort of lp, early 70's heavy rock- more political lyrics and a harder, rougher edge. I dont really know much about its genesis or how/why they changed their style.. i havent really played it a great deal. any thoughts?

I liked Ego on the Rocks well enough but haven't listened in a while.  The name was a jab at Frank Bornemann who, when those members were splitting off, referred to them as having big egos.

In the first LP Frank was a more minor member.  I don't think he sang and he may also not have been the main writer.  The leader(s) left and he took over, and the rest is history.  I'm not a big fan of the album but it has some good moments;  then that is true of even the weakest Eloy albums, well except maybe Destination!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2017 at 17:44
The Ego on the rocks album is very cool and unique and goes with the time in its own way. It has clearly some late 70s/early 80s influences but uses them well. I love the concept, the compositions, the keyboards and drumming (their key skills), even the lyrics (which I fairly generally tend to ignore), although it wasn't quite a true masterpiece because a better singer and Matze on bass were missing. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234