Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Original Proto Electronic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Original Proto Electronic Prog
    Posted: December 12 2016 at 20:10
Poème électronique. Edgar Varèse. 1958

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - December 12 2016 at 20:11
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 20:50
I think I can say with a good amount of certainty that that is not music, and therefore unlikely to qualify as 'electronic prog' or anything other than sound experimentation.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 21:57
Your comment is noted but is incorrect and so is your version of what is electronic prog
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 22:47
Killer tunes, man. Thumbs Up

Gonna use this to set the mood for date night this weekend.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 23:06
Now thats more like it man Hug

Should be listened to at least one a day for he full effect. 

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - December 12 2016 at 23:12
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 00:09
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

Your comment is noted but is incorrect and so is your version of what is electronic prog

Of course, especially if you think an electronic poem constitutes music.  The fact that Varèse is considered a innovator doesn't make "Poème électronique" music.   I've had this circular argument about what is and is not music many times and the notion that any and all organized sound ~ or for that matter disorganized sound ~ is a musical form does not hold up.   That is if we still want to distinguish between something and something else, and give some small amount of credit to those who create both things as separate (though entirely mixable) forms. 

It cheapens both music and sound creation/experimentation; Though the medium used is the same or similar, the form is not--  A man who paints a building using acrylics and brushes and turpentine and primer is not creating art no matter how much one may argue he is.   He may be an artist in his spare time, but the apartment building he just covered in azure blue is not the same as a painting, drawing or illustration, no matter how much we love to insist that all forms of self-expression using the same tools are the same thing.   The housepainter doesn't make his paint or tools, he didn't build the house, he didn't even choose the color.    Similarly Varèse, though certainly an artist/composer, in this case does not make music, he makes something else.

Something else entirely.

Edited by Atavachron - December 13 2016 at 01:03
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 00:24
Not all electronic music is Prog Electronic therefore not all early electronic music is proto Prog Electronic.

Whether you regard list as music or not, technically it isn't Electronic Music but Electroacoustic Music because the sounds are manipulated acoustic (natural) sounds rather than being solely based on electronically generated (synthetic) sounds.
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 01:05
This is electronic music most of the sounds were made using electronic means and realised using tape manipulation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Po%C3%A8me_%C3%A9lectronique

https://ccrma.stanford.edu/CCRMA/Courses/154/varese.html

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - December 13 2016 at 01:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 01:13
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Of course, especially if you think an electronic poem constitutes music.  The fact that Varèse is considered a innovator doesn't make "Poème électronique" music.   I've had this circular argument about what is and is not music many times and the notion that any and all organized sound ~ or for that matter disorganized sound ~ is a musical form does not hold up.   That is if we still want to distinguish between something and something else, and give some small amount of credit to those who create both things as separate (though entirely mixable) forms. 

It cheapens both music and sound creation/experimentation; Though the medium used is the same or similar, the form is not--  A man who paints a building using acrylics and brushes and turpentine and primer is not creating art no matter how much one may argue he is.   He may be an artist in his spare time, but the apartment building he just covered in azure blue is not the same as a painting, drawing or illustration, no matter how much we love to insist that all forms of self-expression using the same tools are the same thing.   The housepainter doesn't make his paint or tools, he didn't build the house, he didn't even choose the color.    Similarly Varèse, though certainly an artist/composer, in this case does not make music, he makes something else.

Something else entirely.

Your just wrong Poème électronique is music, your out personal definition is your opinion and thats all it is and does not stack up to any sort of critic..................
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 01:16
What would the opinion on this one be?

I can't play the clip at work (so can't give it a refesher play at this moment), but I remember when I picked up the LP of this a few years ago that it just sounded like a series of inane bleeps and bloops and that's about it.

Of course, these days my head is wired a lot more for electronic music, and I'm hanging to give it a fresh listen, but I was told at the time I bought it that it was a `seminal and defining electronic release'?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 04:16
The question of what is Proto Electronic Prog is as subjective as the often asked, but never completely answered, question of "What is Prog?" Both Dean and David (Atavactron) are entitled to their views regarding this proto genre, as are you. Especially in regard to opinions concerning electronic sounds vs. music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 05:30
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

What would the opinion on this one be?

I can't play the clip at work (so can't give it a refesher play at this moment), but I remember when I picked up the LP of this a few years ago that it just sounded like a series of inane bleeps and bloops and that's about it.

Of course, these days my head is wired a lot more for electronic music, and I'm hanging to give it a fresh listen, but I was told at the time I bought it that it was a `seminal and defining electronic release'?

Interesting not my cup of tea but definately electronic music, in fact one of the first pieces conceived on a synthesizer, in fact a Buchla's modular voltage-controlled synthesizer- refer below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morton_Subotnick#Silver_Apples_of_the_Moon
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 05:35
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The question of what is Proto Electronic Prog is as subjective as the often asked, but never completely answered, question of "What is Prog?" Both Dean and David (Atavactron) are entitled to their views regarding this proto genre, as are you. Especially in regard to opinions concerning electronic sounds vs. music.

Every one is entitled to their view and as OP for this thread that is what I am also stating but to state something is not music a definitely a personal choice and not quantitative assessment of fact.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 06:04

This is electronic music most of the sounds were made using electronic means and realised using tape manipulation.

The piece sounds even more impressive after reading these. Imagine watching this in 1958 Shocked The pavillion's architecture is also remarkable Clap
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 08:10

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Every one is entitled to their view and as OP for this thread that is what I am also stating but to state something is not music a definitely a personal choice and not quantitative assessment of fact.
Listening to someone strum an out of tune guitar is also a personal choice as well as a quantitate assessment of fact. It may technically be music, but it's still lousy music. 
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 08:38
Yes, Poème électronique is very beautiful in its fresh experimental approach. I've just been revisiting Stockhausen's early electronic works yesterday and, although a bit different, I feel they have that similar vibe to Poème électronique.

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 09:04
Bernard Parmegiani and Pierre Schaeffer also have fine works in this general vein. Early Pauline Oliveros is great as well, if distinct stylistically. 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 09:21

Most of the sounds are not made using electronic means (oscillators), only some are and those are predominately in the second section. Pure electronic music was not unknown in the 1950s but this isn't an example of it.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 13:10
Now this is Electronic Music. Leon Theremin and his invention. 

Edited by SteveG - December 13 2016 at 13:11
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 13:17

Hmm...Wiki is no expert on all things but they consider it a piece of electronic music.........but to my poor ears and sense of music  only a few parts in it qualify as 'music' and most doesn't.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>