Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 16:52
both are also legendary cars with outragous design

Edited by Icarium - December 13 2016 at 16:52
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 20:27
Of those names, I think I like "Studebaker" the most. I think I like the look of the Duesenberg cars the best, though.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2016 at 00:04
Both names clearly have German origin. "Düse" is German for "jet" or "nozzle" and "Berg" is German for "mountain", so "Duesenberg" means "Jet Mountain". The spelling "Duese" instead of "Düse" is just the way to indicate the German umlaut "ü". You can't just leave out the dots in umlauts as many people falsely think; it can lead to serious misunderstandings. The best example for this is the difference between "geachtet" and "geächtet". "Geachtet" means "well-respected" but "geächtet" means "ostracized", which is quite the opposite. To indicate the German umlaut on typewriters it became common practice to add an "e" after the vowel. So for example "geächtet" would become "geaechtet", and that's why "Düsenberg" became "Duesenberg".

Actually the different spelling is used in German family names as well. For example: The extremely common family name "Müller" (meaning "Miller") is sometimes spelled "Müller" and sometimes "Mueller"; in a phone directory you will find both spelling variations. There may for example be entries for a "Sabine Müller" and a "Sabine Mueller" in the same directory. So if in Germany you give a family name with an umlaut on the phone like "Jäger" (meaning "Hunter"), "Förster" ("Forrester") or "Müller" you will usually be asked if the spelling is with "ä", "ö" or "ü" respectively or with "ae", "oe" or "ue" because both name variants exist.

"Studebaker" is obviously derived from the German word "Stutenbäcker". "Stuten" is "milk bread" and "Bäcker" is "baker", so "Stutenbäcker" is "baker of milk bread".

Edited by BaldFriede - December 14 2016 at 00:27

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2016 at 00:57
they are probably last-names of persons. Very commom in car companies
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2016 at 10:51
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Both names clearly have German origin. "Düse" is German for "jet" or "nozzle" and "Berg" is German for "mountain", so "Duesenberg" means "Jet Mountain". The spelling "Duese" instead of "Düse" is just the way to indicate the German umlaut "ü". You can't just leave out the dots in umlauts as many people falsely think; it can lead to serious misunderstandings. The best example for this is the difference between "geachtet" and "geächtet". "Geachtet" means "well-respected" but "geächtet" means "ostracized", which is quite the opposite. To indicate the German umlaut on typewriters it became common practice to add an "e" after the vowel. So for example "geächtet" would become "geaechtet", and that's why "Düsenberg" became "Duesenberg".

Actually the different spelling is used in German family names as well. For example: The extremely common family name "Müller" (meaning "Miller") is sometimes spelled "Müller" and sometimes "Mueller"; in a phone directory you will find both spelling variations. There may for example be entries for a "Sabine Müller" and a "Sabine Mueller" in the same directory. So if in Germany you give a family name with an umlaut on the phone like "Jäger" (meaning "Hunter"), "Förster" ("Forrester") or "Müller" you will usually be asked if the spelling is with "ä", "ö" or "ü" respectively or with "ae", "oe" or "ue" because both name variants exist.

"Studebaker" is obviously derived from the German word "Stutenbäcker". "Stuten" is "milk bread" and "Bäcker" is "baker", so "Stutenbäcker" is "baker of milk bread".

Cool etymology. Thanks! 

Though it kind of makes me want to change my vote now. "Jet Mountain" sounds a heck of a lot cooler than "baker of milk bread". LOL
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2016 at 14:06
Just do it in a berg....

Duesenberg because it sounds similar to Dudes in Berg which is totally cool (berg is short for iceberg). I could imagine myself using it in a sentence at some biker dance bar, such as "Yo, you guys so dudesinberg it's like you're floating in a large piece of ice that broke of a glacier". Said compliment then giving me an in with the cool crowd. ;) Or getting me beat up more likely.

As for Studebaker, not so cool sounding as it could be study baker as in study "a baker" or study a bakery, which I'm not interested in. Or it could be like "Stud the Baker". To use it in a sentence, "Yo, Monsieur Pâtissier, you look so studly beating that dough that you should be called Stud the Baker". Said compliment resulting in me getting a free doughnut, or perhaps beat about the head with a rolling pin.

As for Oldsmobile (how we spell it here), not to be ageist, but it's not cool sounding at all. It sounds like old people who are probably only mobile with the aid of a cane. It sound like Old is mobile, or in shortened form Old 's Mobile. To use it in a sentence, "Yo, venerable ancient one, I'd like to call you Old-mobile, but you're more like old 's NOT mobile. Better get that engine revved." Which might get a response such as as "Did you you call me an old snot mobile, sonny?" followed by a hard smack with a cane.

For this I really should pay my dues by being eternally trapped in iceberg. God I suck. :(

Edited by Logan - December 14 2016 at 14:09
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2016 at 23:21
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Just do it in a berg....

Duesenberg because it sounds similar to Dudes in Berg which is totally cool (berg is short for iceberg). I could imagine myself using it in a sentence at some biker dance bar, such as "Yo, you guys so dudesinberg it's like you're floating in a large piece of ice that broke of a glacier". Said compliment then giving me an in with the cool crowd. ;) Or getting me beat up more likely.

As for Studebaker, not so cool sounding as it could be study baker as in study "a baker" or study a bakery, which I'm not interested in. Or it could be like "Stud the Baker". To use it in a sentence, "Yo, Monsieur Pâtissier, you look so studly beating that dough that you should be called Stud the Baker". Said compliment resulting in me getting a free doughnut, or perhaps beat about the head with a rolling pin.

As for Oldsmobile (how we spell it here), not to be ageist, but it's not cool sounding at all. It sounds like old people who are probably only mobile with the aid of a cane. It sound like Old is mobile, or in shortened form Old 's Mobile. To use it in a sentence, "Yo, venerable ancient one, I'd like to call you Old-mobile, but you're more like old 's NOT mobile. Better get that engine revved." Which might get a response such as as "Did you you call me an old snot mobile, sonny?" followed by a hard smack with a cane.

For this I really should pay my dues by being eternally trapped in iceberg. God I suck. :(
its quite normal to pay your dues to guy trapped in iceberg, as that is the code name for Captain America, the dude who was trapped in an iceberg
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 11:20
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Just do it in a berg....

its quite normal to pay your dues to guy trapped in iceberg, as that is the code name for Captain America, the dude who was trapped in an iceberg

'Tis better than this poor soul whose head was entrapped in a particularly carnivorous variety of iceberg lettuce (not your common or garden variety of lettuce).

"Waiter, I asked for a head of lettuce, not a head in lettuce."
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 14:01
Its Holden for me 

"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 14:41
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

Its Holden for me 

Wouldn't be my first choice of car to be holden' on to.

I kid, it is a pretty cool name for a car, in fact one could say that it's holden' its own in this topic.

Edited by Logan - December 15 2016 at 14:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 15:09

Its Holden for me 

I kid, it is a pretty cool name for a car, in fact one could say that it's holden' its own in this topic.

Or its just Holden together, its a GM product (Australia) which was based around Pontiac designs in the old days but about to end production next year and go the way of Oldsmobile and other GM brands, unfortunately the name is continuing and will become a badge "engineered" car. In the Us you would be familiar with the last Pontiac GTO - which was really and Holden Monaro (above is a 1969 Monaro)
More below

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 15:24

Its Holden for me 

Or its just Holden together, its a GM product (Australia) which was based around Pontiac designs in the old days but about to end production next year and go the way of Oldsmobile and other GM brands, unfortunately the name is continuing and will become a badge "engineered" car. In the Us you would be familiar with the last Pontiac GTO - which was really and Holden Monaro (above is a 1969 Monaro)

More below

Yours is definitely a better Holden pun than mine. They are very nice looking cars, and I drove one for a while when in Cairns. It belonged to my brother, and he was very upset when an ember of my cigarette fell on the seat and burnt a hole in it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 16:18

Its Holden for me 

More below

Yours is definitely a better Holden pun than mine. They are very nice looking cars, and I drove one for a while when in Cairns. It belonged to my brother, and he was very upset when an ember of my cigarette fell on the seat and burnt a hole in it.

Jezz, he would have been upset the 70's and earlier 2 door Monaro's bring upwards of $50k here now.......
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 16:44
 Some men say he could FLY
Some men say he could SWIM
Others say he could SING (like NEIL SEDAKA),
And all the girls in FLUSHING
Would be AMAZED of HIM
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 18:07
Now, some men say he looked like (he looked like) 
Felix pappalardi (felix pappalardi); still others say (others say), 
Bullsh*t, man (bullsh*t, man) he was just born (he was born) 
Next to the frozen beef pies at gristede's (frozen beef pies). 
Still others say (others say he was just another)
Again, he was just a crazy italian (crazy italian) who drove a red car. 
You see it was hard to tell (but nobody knows), 
Nobody knew for sure (for sure), 
He was so (so) mysterious (mysterious), 

Studebaker Hoch the only car a self respecting Proggy should drive
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2016 at 08:30
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2016 at 07:29
other LOL

Pontiac!!!

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply