Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan anything surprise you anymore?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can anything surprise you anymore?
    Posted: December 23 2016 at 21:34
When we first started listening to prog, and music in general, the variety of aethsetics and instrumentation and songwriting etc. may be a whole new experience for us. It's like discovering a new world. But after years of listening to prog and getting to know the top albums on PA, do you feel that you have heard everything there is (not every album of course, but every possible style and creative idea)?  Do you still believe you may hear something that surprises you, like "wow I never thought music like this existed!"

It doesn't have to be new music from 2016 or 2017, it can be any prog music from any year. Do you think there's still something out there that is beyond your imagination?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 21:41
For sure.
After indulging in Prog music for about 3 decades now, I'm catching up with the Metal scene of recent years and it's full of surprises. And each new album I discover always offers some surprises. Nothing ceases to amaze me.
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 00:16
Yes, If you start looking outside the box you'll find stuff that amazes you, stuff that excites you and stuff that scares you. There's such a huge musical world out there, go and chase stuff that inspires you! Smile

Edited by Thatfabulousalien - December 24 2016 at 00:18
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Sorav View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 00:26
Personally I think prog rock compositions mixed with meshuggah esque riffs would be cool. Hell, maybe I'll do it myself one day haha. But seriously there's alot of stuff you could still do. For example going back to Meshuggah, what if you got that same concept of riffy weird 4/4 rhythms then played modally on it? Or maybe play modally in one part of the song then go all 12 tone weird Ron Jarzombek stuff later? There's still so much stuff that can be done. The skies the limit!
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 00:48
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

When we first started listening to prog, and music in general, the variety of aethsetics and instrumentation and songwriting etc. may be a whole new experience for us. It's like discovering a new world. But after years of listening to prog and getting to know the top albums on PA, do you feel that you have heard everything there is (not every album of course, but every possible style and creative idea)?  Do you still believe you may hear something that surprises you, like "wow I never thought music like this existed!"

It doesn't have to be new music from 2016 or 2017, it can be any prog music from any year. Do you think there's still something out there that is beyond your imagination?
I would add to that "It doesn't have to be prog". But then again, nobody wants to go through "What is prog and where do you draw the line?" one more time. 

Since I haven't heard all the music in all the history of the world, I'm pretty sure there's still music out there that I haven't heard that'd blow me away. 

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 01:31
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

When we first started listening to prog, and music in general, the variety of aethsetics and instrumentation and songwriting etc. may be a whole new experience for us. It's like discovering a new world. 

Wasn't THAT new to me because of my previous experiences in music prior to prog.  I would say the ambition, 'epic' structure and complexity were new rather than the aesthetics and instrumentation by themselves. 

In a general sense, absolutely yes, I can and have been surprised by something new.  It can be even in a known 'genre' like jazz.  I found it surprising to discover what Barbara Dennerlein could do with the organ or what Bela Fleck could with the banjo.  At a very basic level, upon listening to some of the very early stuff AC DC did, I was surprised to hear the amount of shred in Young's solos from that period compared to Highway to Hell/Back in Black.  
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 02:49
Whatever surprises I find nowadays, I find it mostly in jazz/fusion

But I'm probably blasé.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 04:59
Hi,

Hard to say ... I wonder if we're a bit stuck on the things that we love to listen to, and it has a tendency to not allow for us to hear new and different things, with an open mind, for us to see if there is/isn't something in there that is new.

I was catching some Richard Barbieri, and that experimental stuff he did on one show was actually far out, and while not 100% new/strange/weird/offitsrocker to shake your head up good, it had enough stuff in it that was neat and far out.

And a couple of the interviews kinda touch the experimental area some ... "listen"
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 05:31
Unexpect surprised moi.  
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 06:01
I don't know about surprising me. Possibly not, but that doesn't mean I don't hear new things I like. I don't have to be surprised of have my mind completely blown to like something. Sometimes a good song is just a good song.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 06:07
I actually hope to find that experience every time I discover a new band. Even the bands that are labeled "clones" have a twist on their music different from the bands they are getting inspiration from, what to speak of bands that actually are aiming for that special sound nobody has ever tried. Hard to find these days of course, but if you listen closely, with an open mind/ear, you'll find it.

Edited by Manuel - December 24 2016 at 06:08
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 08:23
Very rarely.
lostrom
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2016 at 09:27
Not very often, and when it happens there are mostly years in between. As I listen to a lot of newly released music, that says a lot.

The last time it happened to me is quite a few years back now, and that's when I first heard The Cardiacs.
retroactive View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2016 at 14:18
yup ...........  in fact there's a lot to follow , dig , discover and learn , Life is still going on , nothing can stop this flow of imagination & creativity .... once you're in the Progressive World , nothing can take you out my friend   ~~
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2016 at 14:45
All the time. If you aren't finding things that surprise you then I think you probably aren't really looking for that. Might have to look outside the 'prog' safe zone, though.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2016 at 14:54
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

All the time. If you aren't finding things that surprise you then I think you probably aren't really looking for that. Might have to look outside the 'prog' safe zone, though.

This man obviously knows what he is talking about. I concur.

I gather the chance of being surprised by new music is rather poor if one insists on looking in the same places. Put in another way: if you're searching for new planets it probably isn't wise to direct your gaze at the moon...even if it is pretty.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2016 at 15:04
I am still surprised because I change and by changing I catch liking things which would not have surprised me if I had remained the same.

Afficher limage dorigine
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2016 at 18:10
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

This man obviously knows what he is talking about. I concur.

I gather the chance of being surprised by new music is rather poor if one insists on looking in the same places. Put in another way: if you're searching for new planets it probably isn't wise to direct your gaze at the moon...even if it is pretty.
I Agree with you, this is why after the third time i've come back to listen Prog Metal again, and it appears that this time it's kicking in my interest Smile
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 05:01
Only the infinite stupidity of mankind.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 07:58
Ian Anderson's nude pictures leaked on the Internet.
That would surprise (and scare) me.

More seriously, I should go on my exploration of traditional music and, er, "contemporary traditional music": I'm awaiting the first album of UB-K, a trio creating a fusion of Mongolian music and European medieval music.
I've never had the opportunity to see them on stage, and I'm really curious about their repertoire.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>