Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCan anything surprise you anymore?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 18:22
bien sûr.
peart_lee_lifeson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 01:41
Musically, there is still a lot for me to digest in the "classical" realm.  I've actually heard A LOT compared to the average person, but there is still so much more to explore.  The new Animals As Leaders album surprised me right away.  It sounded like music from 50 years in the future or something.  That band is uber talented.  I'm not sure they are ahead of their time, but I think they are making music like no one else at the moment.  There are some similar artists, but nobody does it quite like they do.  Phenomenal.  Also, delving into The Dear Hunter's catalogue surprised me by how much I liked their sound.  Me from 5 years ago would be appalled by how much I like anything involving somewhat whiny sounding vocals.  Seriously though, every album of theirs is pure gold if you ask me.  I guess if The Mars Volta ever get back together we'll all be in for a very pleasant surprise from them.  Those guys make some crazy music!  Lastly, "Ocean" by John Butler did in fact surprise me recently.

Edited by peart_lee_lifeson - December 29 2016 at 02:01
PROG ON!!!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 15:35
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

ELP's combeback would surprise me.
That's just cruel ! Cry
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 15:36
^and with no offense intended, about the only thing that does surprise me these days is stupidity...every time I see it.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 08:19
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Of course. If nothing surprises you then you've made it to the GOD level. I am constantly surprised how many ideas had already been done sooooo very long ago when i assumed they were newly found creations. Occasionally something new pops up that makes me go WHOAH!!!!

Maybe GOD is constantly surprised?   How boring would it be, to never feel surprised?
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 11:06
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

When we first started listening to prog, and music in general, the variety of aethsetics and instrumentation and songwriting etc. may be a whole new experience for us. It's like discovering a new world. But after years of listening to prog and getting to know the top albums on PA, do you feel that you have heard everything there is (not every album of course, but every possible style and creative idea)?  Do you still believe you may hear something that surprises you, like "wow I never thought music like this existed!"

It doesn't have to be new music from 2016 or 2017, it can be any prog music from any year. Do you think there's still something out there that is beyond your imagination?

I'd hope there would be music out there that is beyond my imagination, stuff that would completely surprise me (and ideally blow me away with how awesome it is), but I'm very jaded about it, too.   I haven't found anything like that in a long, long time and I don't expect to.  Maybe it won't be possible in what's left of my lifetime.  I don't know.  Part of the problem is that there isn't any type of music I don't listen to.  So I've kind of heard everything, at least in terms of broader-level ideas.

I do occasionally hear things that sound pretty fresh to me, but that's different.  That's more along the lines of simply tweaking and combining preexisting ideas in particular ways that are relatively unusual.

At this, it doesn't imply that I enjoy music any less than I used to.  I don't need that sort of novelty to enjoy something.  I'm happy with stuff that treads familiar ground, but that does it with a lot of craft/skill.

Edited by Terrapin Station - January 15 2017 at 11:07
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 19:03
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Of course. If nothing surprises you then you've made it to the GOD level. I am constantly surprised how many ideas had already been done sooooo very long ago when i assumed they were newly found creations. Occasionally something new pops up that makes me go WHOAH!!!!

Maybe GOD is constantly surprised?   How boring would it be, to never feel surprised?

Read up on some Thomas Hartshorne - he wrote about just that sort of thing.

As to music, it takes a lot to surprise me in my jaded days, and not all surprises are pleasant.  There is some music that I have been listening to for decades where I still find nuances, but I do not consider those surprises.  I try to be as open as I can when hearing new music, but I also know very quickly if it will work for me or not.  But you never know, there could always be something radically unanticipated around the next corner.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 04:07
Occasionally, but not as often as I would like.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 04:45
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

Do you still believe you may hear something that surprises you, like "wow I never thought music like this existed!"

Yes, when I first heard Mars Volta, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Gentle Giant.

And I'm still surprised all the time. I keep finding great unexpected music using the PA database

Edited by Jeffro - January 17 2017 at 04:48
SamMac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 18:17
I was beginning to think that and then I rediscovered Pawn Hearts a couple months ago.  I had heard that album a dozen times or so, liked it, but then when I revisited it on shrooms in the dark on a good pair of headphones, it clicked like no other album has.  I could see every note and it formed this insane 3d landscape in my head.  I got completely lost in the album... 4 or 5 times.  It was the greatest experience of my life.  I wonder if anyone else has ever listened to Pawn Hearts with absolute giddy, dumbfounded awe like I did.  I never thought I would find anything that I thought surpasses the early Genesis albums, but now I think Pawn Hearts is even better than The Lamb or Supper's Ready.  I still can't comprehend the genius and the vision of Peter Hammill.  Then I heard Modern for the first time and the Silent Corner album and my mind was absolutely blown in a million pieces.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  What is music??

As much as I've tried to get across how great Pawn Hearts is, I can't even come close.  It is not just an album, in my opinion it's the greatest artistic accomplishment of mankind.  You could give me all the money in the world and I wouldn't up the album or that experience.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 06:13
last time i was possitively surprised was my first listen to The Bedlam in Goliath more than 7 years ago.
So: not too often.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
I Love Internet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 05:42
I guess I do still get surprised sometimes. Last year Fates Warning surprised  me very pleasently with their new album.  I liked their previous one to some extent, but Theories.. really blew me away. It doesn´t really offer anything new, but what it does offer is some of the best prog metal made this decade.

The biggest surprise of this decade though, came when I found Unexpect in 2010. There aren´t many albums that continue to excite me 5 or more years after I first heard them, but In a Flesh aquarium and Fables of the sleepless empire still have that wow effect on me. I suppose that´s enough fanboyism for now.
I like my eggs boiled and that´s it!
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 08:00
I found Farmers Market's albums to be a refreshing surprise. Irony meets exceptional musical dexterity in a really odd fusion soup.

And the Seven Wilson 5.1 mix of Tales from Topographic Oceans is loaded with surprises. Not only is it great to have a version of Tales with clarity, I was very surprised to hear how on fire Squire's bass work is. It's amazing how much great stuff was hidden in the mud of the earlier releases.

And then there's Jack O' the Clock.

bloodnarfer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 12:10
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I am still surprised because I change and by changing I catch liking things which would not have surprised me if I had remained the same.

For sure, ever changing tastes helps things feel fresh
Getting stuck in one zone can be the worst..  when I feel there are no surprises left I get depressed until I go on a music binge and find a new corner to explore.

Things I thought were my jam 4 years ago I can merely tolerate now and vice versa in some ways

Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 13:10
Surprised (WOW factor):
In the court of the crimson king
Deep purple in rock
Yes Relayer
Gentle giant (the first you discover in the 1970-1975 years)

Newer one:
IQ Frequency

Surprised (this is really different)
Soft machine 2
Phideaux Doomsday afternoon
.... and many others

Serge Gainsbourg: Melody Nelson (this one is not in PA Wink)

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 14:04
Today I heard for the first time the album Central Market (or any album) of the former Battles singer (and son of Anthony Braxton) Tyondai Braxton. That's a monster of an album, doesn't really fit into any category, and it always surprises me to discover something THAT good. I discover "quite good" things regularly and it doesn't surprise me much, but this one...
Braxton is currently not on PA but was discussed once without really being rejected. One team moved him elsewhere and then he was forgotten.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 14:27
nah... the American electorate took care of that for me LOLThumbs Up A bigoted racist reality TV star just on the hook for millions for swindling Americans out of their money. f**k it...  let's elect him President.

Nope...now nothing will be able to surprise me... 

Edited by micky - January 20 2017 at 14:27
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123