Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUrban Nomad [Canada] for Eclectic Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urban Nomad [Canada] for Eclectic Prog
    Posted: December 26 2016 at 03:35
Biography: 
Urban Nomad is a four man progressive rock group from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Much of the group’s influence comes from older prog bands such as King Crimson, Pink Floyd, and Camel; though more recent bands like Porcupine Tree and Jaga Jazzist have inspired Urban Nomad to help to modernize and diversify the progressive rock genre.
After a lengthy nine month recording and mixing process, Urban Nomad’s self titled EP is finally complete and available for sale. The half-hour long EP features 3 songs (1 of the songs subdivides into 3 parts), spanning nearly three years of the prog rock band’s song-writing efforts. A broad range of instrumental styles and sounds is pursued within. Progressive rock essentials like Moog, organ, and mellotron compliment guitars oriented around fusion, funk, and psychedelic rock. Rhythmically driving and energetic grooves (often featuring varied solos) collapse into stirring antipode-tweaking melodic soundscapes, towing the line between technical and compositional focus.

URBAN NОMAD 
released October 11, 2012 

Tracks:
1. Falling Into Blue. 8:59
2. Between Two Worlds. 8:28
3. Living In Exile: A Young Winter, the Place of Dead Roads, the Eye of Dawn. 14:39

Musicians:
- Will Neufeld / Vocals, Pianos, Organs, Synthesizers 
- Nick Rempel / Guitars, Vocals 
- James Neufeld / Drums, Percussion, Vocals 
- Justin Kroeker / Bass 

Composition & Co-Production by Will Neufeld 
Produced & Engineered by Adam Pauls 
Album Art & Design by Dave Ward 
Mastered by Scott Pinder @ Polyphonic Labs, Winnipeg MB

WEB:

Edited by ProgCandles - December 26 2016 at 20:11
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 08:43
Wow! What an awesome album. Thumbs Up

I personally think they're a better fit for jazz rock/fusion than eclectic, though, so I'll toss it by them first just to see what they think.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 08:46
The band name is spelt incorrectly in the topic title, and their album was released quite a while ago in 2012, before the band regrouped as Teleharmoniumhttps://teleharmonium.bandcamp.com/, guitarist Nick Rempel being replaced by bass player Justin Kroeker's brother Jonathan, and augmented by Adam Pauls on lead guitar (this is the guy who produced & engineered the Urban Nomad effort). Justin's sister Mandy also joined the ensemble on acoustic guitar, flute and vocals.

The band certainly belongs here, but so does Teleharmonim, which it subsequently morphed into. The Urban Nomad release appears to have been just an independent home production, recorded and mixed from October 2011 to June 2012 - beginning in their rental home at Beresford Studios A, and ending in their rental home next door at Beresford Studios B, whereas the Teleharmonium album was engineered and mixed by Adam Pauls at Windermere Sound Emporium, and recorded by Shawn Dealey at Exchange District Studios, Winnipeg, Manitoba, so perhaps might be a more professional effort overall.

Good music can be heard on both, however.

I'll leave it to our collabs to decide how to proceed with this suggestion...

Edit: Oops...Kevin got there first, and has already started the ball rolling. Embarrassed I'll disappear back into my hidey-hole now... LOL

Edited by yam yam - December 26 2016 at 08:55
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 09:10
^ No worries! Thanks for the extra info. The Teleharmonium album is incredible, too! Clap
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
ProgCandles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 10:16
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

[/QUOTE]

I apologize for the fact that I made a mistake in the title...
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 12:40
No problem - we all do it from time to time! Embarrassed It's easy to fix though...Just click on the 'Post Options' link to the right of your topic title (yellow cog icon), and select 'Edit Post' from the drop-down menu. It'll help with people doing Google searches for the band if the PA topic title is spelt correctly. Thumbs Up
ProgCandles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2016 at 20:11
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

No problem - we all do it from time to time! Embarrassed It's easy to fix though...Just click on the 'Post Options' link to the right of your topic title (yellow cog icon), and select 'Edit Post' from the drop-down menu. It'll help with people doing Google searches for the band if the PA topic title is spelt correctly. Thumbs Up

Thank You!!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 20:44
Just thought I'd drop in with a quick update since I've been digging these bands quite a bit since they were first suggested. Teleharmonium has recently been added to crossover.

Urban Nomad is still under evaluation for eclectic at the moment, with 2 "yes" votes currently.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2018 at 21:22
Urban Nomad has been added to eclectic prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply