Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are Non-Christians Able To Enjoy Neal Morse Music?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre Non-Christians Able To Enjoy Neal Morse Music?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are Non-Christians Able To Enjoy Neal Morse Music?
    Posted: December 28 2016 at 17:00
After many years of lurking around here, I decided to finally register today in order to ask this very question.

For the past several years, around this time of year, I check to see what new releases have been rated the highest on PA and to listen to any with which I'm not yet familiar. This has led me to quite a number of excellent musical discoveries. Currently the top release of 2016 (based on members' ratings & PA algorithm) is 'The Similitude Of A Dream' by The Neal Morse Band.

While I have tried to listen to this album on numerous occasions, I just can't seem to get past the Christian-themed lyrics (based upon the Christian allegorical novel 'The Pilgrim's Progress' by English baptist preacher, John Bunyan) to enjoy the obviously well-composed music. Although I greatly enjoyed Neal's writing during his tenure with Spock's Beard, his post-Beard output has just been too full of overt Christian lyrical themes for me to be able to enjoy any of it, as a non-Christian.

Now, I certainly respect Mr. Morse's right as an artist to express his personal faith in his music, and I don't mean to offend any Christians on this forum by asking this question. However, as a Pagan in the US (albeit in the liberal stronghold of California), I am a little terrified of Christian propaganda, particularly in today's political climate. Thus, I find myself completely unable to appreciate any of the recent output of Mr. Morse and his band mates, however well-composed the music may be.

Anyone else have this problem? I'm particularly interested in hearing from non-Christian Americans who were big fans of the Neal-Era Beard.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 21:25
I'm not really fond of religion and all, however it doesn't really bother me if the music has some religious themed lyrics... at least not so much. From Neal Morse, it bothers me more that the few things I have heard from him can become rather predictable and not particularly exciting. That said, I do love some Transatlantic, specially "The Whirlwind", which is one of my favourite albums, and I believe it does has it's religious themes and all, though I don't really make so much sense out of it (nor have I tried, really). I would say satanic themes on music bother me much more than christian ones, though.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 21:26
I'm a Christian and I don't enjoy Neal Morse's music.

Edited by Polymorphia - December 28 2016 at 21:26
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 21:53
I was raised Catholic, but more follow Christian teachings these days, so I’m not simply giving Neal a `pass’ because I share many of his beliefs.

I think if you’re a prog fan, you’re going to at least be able to enjoy the `proggy’ arrangements, soloing, etc, if you like that obvious kind of symphonic prog. His music is always melodic and energetic, the guy has a killer ear for great melodies and slick vocals, so there’s plenty to admire on the surface with his solo music.

As for the lyrics, I will say that there’s one thing people constantly get wrong and accuse him of, and that is `Neal is pushing his agenda on us, forcing his beliefs on us’ etc etc, which is completely wrong. All Neal is doing is offering something that HE personally believes in, and he’s never pointed the finger and condemned anyone who doesn’t think the way he does. I find that completely honest, and I greatly admire someone who writes about something he so passionately believes in. I also think he made the right choice leaving Spock’s Beard, knowing that he wanted to offer those kind of lyrics/themes without forcing them on the band’s general audience (although to be fair, `Snow’ is RIFE with Christian lyrics and themes, hardly subtle at all! )

Another example could be, do you believe the `hippy/dippy’ words that Jon Anderson writes on the classic Yes albums, or the sci-fi tales of Rush and Eloy, etc, or the Pothead Pixies beliefs of the classic Gong period? If you’re a non-believer, then I don’t think there’s much really difference between the nonsense fantasy cosmic words of those groups and the `fantasy fairy-tales’ that many Atheist’s dismiss Christian and religious teachings and stories as being! So if you can accept those, it’s pretty much `more of the same’!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 22:04
I'm into the music, not the lyrics.  I don't care about the political views or the religious views of musicians.  Since my own views differ from most rockers, I wouldn't have much to listen to if I had that litmus test. 

Most of the prog I listen to is non English prog, mostly Italian, so I can't understand the lyrics anyway.  The voice is just another instrument in the band to me, I don't treat music like audio book CDs. 

So Neal's lyrics would not bother me at this point.  But I don't really like his music much. 

Edited by Finnforest - December 28 2016 at 22:05
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 22:23
I worship toilet brushes and still find artists like Neal Morse and Deathspell Omega truly captivating. I was also fed substandard dogfood at a very young age LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 22:27
Puppy, your pro-toilet brush, pro-Buckethead agenda has been quite clear for some time!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 22:32
^ Hey! How did you know about the toilet brushes? I thought i was so secretive LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 22:36
It's filtered through all the Buckethead reviews, the clues have to be pieced together slowly but surely, but each reveal only brings more questions and hints!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 22:37
^ Whew! At least my fetishes for spatulas are still safely underground Clown

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 22:52
You're not a well man, Puppy, but we on the Archives are happy to embrace the freaks! No judgement, buddy!

Actually, I have an baffling obsession with the drippiest, lamest Hallmark Christmas TV movies, so I probably need help more than anyone!
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2016 at 23:27
I am an atheist (since my teens) but I enjoyed the Question Mark and Sola Scriptura albums quite a lot a few years ago. Generally I find the same problem with Neal Morse (and Spocks Beard too) that I find with many modern prog bands, that he seems to be relying on the (nostalgic?) influence of older prog rock (I guess direct parallels with Yes, Gentle Giant and Genesis' styles). Ultimately I find much of his work to be a bore Wacko

But in general I find modern christian music to be......Censored

(I love a lot of religious music in the classical tradition though, especially renaissance and baroque works)

Edited by Thatfabulousalien - December 28 2016 at 23:28
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 00:22
Are pessimists able to enjoy Yes?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 01:41
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Are pessimists able to enjoy Yes?
no.
What?
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 01:50
Firstly and just to clarify: I'm an agnostic. I find Neal Morse's music impressive and luckily I'm able to listen past most lyrics in general.
But when I actually focus on his lyrics, I find them pretty revolting. It doesn't spoil my enjoyment, as long as I can continue to blend them out. In general thoough, this constant god fawning is pretty awful, so in general I could enjoy his music more if he would sing about just about anything else.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 02:27
Many metalfans loathed Stryper, because of their christian lyrics, although they are one of the best hardrockbands around.

Did you know that Pendragon also has christian lyrics. And almost all blues- and Southern rockbands, when I come to think of it.

Why bother? Faith is about spirituality. And music is also about spirituality.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 03:18
I'd say that Pendragon has some somewhat broad-based spiritual lyrics but I'd not call them christian as such.
What?
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 03:24
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I'd say that Pendragon has some somewhat broad-based spiritual lyrics but I'd not call them christian as such.

No, agreed.
Pete Gee is the christian in the band, but he made an christian solo-album, wich features Pendragon members.

This is an excerpt from an interview with Nick. Interesting point of view:

You spoke of Neal Morse and his sudden change of life, I see that Peter Gee also did some work on gospel albums, is it something you discuss? We had a big discussion on our forum on Neal Morse. Most of it was about if you should or should not write lyrics like that or if you should or should not comment on them.

I find it really strange, I can't understand people who say "you shouldn't do this, you shouldn't do that." It is kind of musical nazism, fascism, really I think you should be able to sing pretty much of everything. Music has a very strong spiritual kind of aspect to it, I think. So if someone wants to sing about their Christian believes: let em! I don't see the problem, if people don't like it, don't buy it.

Strange thing is that we don't have arguments about lyrics in death metal.

Personally I think we have some kind of responsibility to bring some kind of light into this world. I have no problem with Neal Morse doing that, on a personal matter. But even if I didn't: does it matter if someone is singing about going shopping or when their singing about their christian believes. That's part of music isn't it? If you want to have a chairman ruled country, where you can say this or can't write about that go on and live in China.

Edited by Kingsnake - December 29 2016 at 03:24
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 04:24
That last sentence is a bit fascistic too, isn't it? Sort of a catch 22 thing.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2016 at 04:27
I've no interest in religion, but good music is just good music. Ignore the 'message' and listen to the notes and how the music is composed. Simples.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>