Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink Floyd's "Fearless" - my analysis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink Floyd's "Fearless" - my analysis
    Posted: December 30 2016 at 02:22
Hi there. Yep, as you can from my avatar and username, Fearless is one of my very favourite songs. So much so, I spent 45-60 minutes yesterday giving my own personal, entirely subjective interpretation of the song. To me, the song is about subversion and empowerment of one's own ideas and convictions. I'll let the review do the rest of the talking. LOL

Fearless is one of Pink Floyd's most overlooked songs. The track comes from the album Meddle, one of Pink Floyd's most experimental and complete works. This period in Pink Floyd's musical career is certainly an interesting one - it was after Syd Barrett's departure; it was before Waters' dictatorial ego fragmented the band; and it was before the mainstream breakout of Dark Side of the Moon. Indeed, it was a time where Floyd had a fervent creative and artistic drive to be the best, most accomplished rock band in the world. There were no limits here other than the sky. 

Whilst Meddle is largely known for the twenty-three minute magnum-opus Echoes, the album also spawned a (then) uncharacteristically quiet, slow-burning track that also happens to be one of the most radical and subversive works in all of Floyd's catalogue. That song is Fearless, and it is more meaningful now than perhaps ever before. 

Let's take a closer look at it, shall we? We will break it down section-by-section. 

The song begins with the following:

You say the hill's too steep to climb 
Chiding 
You say you'd like to see me try Climbing

This sets up the philosophical principles of the song. Essentially, we are being told that the protagonist of the song can not climb a hill because it is, apparently, too steep. Of course, the hill is metaphorical here - it is not literally a hill, but a symbol of doing something that nobody around you (whether it be your family, your community or even society at large) believes you can do or believes you should do. They 'chid' (i.e., express disapproval of) the idea. Rather, you are expected to be complacent and subservient just like everybody else, and not follow your inner-ambitions or convictions. Just conform, essentially. 

You pick the place and I'll choose the time. 
And I'll climb the hill in my own way 
Just wait a while, for the right day

These lyrics will become particularly salient as the analysis of the song continues. Here, the protagonist of this song decides to take the challenge to climb the hill...but he is still somewhat doubtful and ambivalent. While he agrees to challenge himself by climbing the hill in his 'own way', he still wants somebody else (i.e., an authoritative figure, perhaps, in his family, community or society) to pick the place. And if the place is indeed set, he wants to 'wait a while' for the 'right day'. 

So, what is being said here? The person we are following in this song is beginning to become an individual, beginning to stand by his convictions, beginning to perhaps not conform to the values and doctrines set by those around him. But he has not fully evolved yet on a philosophical level. He is still hesitant and he is still doubting his prospective actions. He wants to wait a while because he is not yet set to do the very thing that will clearly undermine and subvert those around him. 

It is this thought that indeed many dissenters across world history have presumably encountered. Is taking the risk worth it? Am I willing to risk everything based on my convictions and personal philosophy? Or should I just continue the way I am? It represents a state of indecision. 

And as I rise above the treeline and the clouds 
I look down hearing the sound of the things you said today

Rising above the treeline and the clouds is, once again, metaphorical. Here, it represents the protagonist of the song standing fully by his convictions and taking a radical risk, probably at the expense of ostracism, condemnation and social sanctions. Yet what Pink Floyd is saying here is really quite beautiful and inspiring - it is above the treeline and clouds where all the dissidents and subversives go when they decide to do what they believe is true. This section of the song has some subtle Christian symbology, denoting heaven as a place where all the true dissidents will go. I don't mean to say that Pink Floyd are referencing heaven in a Christian context, per-se, but more subscribing to the idea that up above the clouds, up in the sky, is a place where the 'good one's' go. And, in this case, the good are indeed those who stand by their convictions and do not remain subservient to oppression or immoral wrongdoing. This is very important to Floyd, and it is consistent across much of their work. 

Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling 
Merciless, the magistrate turns 'round, frowning

We have reached a period in the song where our protagonist has clearly decided to take actions into his own hands. He is now being socially sanctioned and punished for it. Perhaps he was a political dissident or whistleblower? Maybe he was somebody who lived in an oppressive society and decided to courageously speak out against the state? Or perhaps he did something that was not lawful and law-abiding? 

The song refers to the protagonist as an 'idiot'. This is interesting. It is clearly being used in a sardonic context here. The dissenter is labeled as an idiot by society, not by Floyd. When we look at some of the most eccentric and non-conformist individuals in world history, they have often been outcasted and marginalised in their time as weird, stupid, or, indeed, idiotic.

The protagonist smiles at the crowd. To me, this shows that this dissident or social misfit is somebody well ahead of his time. The smile is a fearless one, but also probably a snarky one. He has no fear being persecuted or sanctioned because he believes that his actions, his convictions, his principles are right and for the greater good. He refuses to be seen as an example of the state or some authoritative institution.

Indeed, showing fear and vulnerability when persecuted is what any authority entity wants. This is because it dissuades others not to do the same thing. But the dissident in the song refuses to show his fear. Consequently, the 'magistrate', clearly the embodiment of authority, is frowning mercilessly. All figures of authority detest subversive individuals who undermine their power and status.

And who's the fool who wears the crown 
Go down in your own way 
And everyday is the right day 
And as you rise above the fear lines in his brown 
You look downHear the sound of the faces in the crowd

Here, the dissident has made the evolution and development that initially impeded him earlier on in the song. If you recall, the dissident originally wanted to 'wait a while for the right day' before he did what he did. This was because he was hesitant and doubtful. But now, 'everyday is the right day' to, yep, you guessed it, 'go down in your own way'. He no longer feels constrained or restricted. He is fully empowered and liberated. 

While the dissident has indeed been persecuted for what he has done, he did it in his own way. He refused to show his fear to be seen as an example to those watching in the crowd; he subverted and lampooned authority by implying that they are merely fools who wear crowns; and because of this, everyday is the right day to do exactly what he did. His persecution brought him incredible empowerment and conviction. 

The song ends with a recorded chant from a football match where the crowd are singing You Will Never Walk Alone. This is a nice thematic conclusion to the song. While the dissident has become persecuted and sanctioned by the state, there appears to be this overwhelming support from the crowd. This suggests that the dissident perhaps engendered the start of a revolution or uprising. And his actions, those that were deemed idiotic, were indeed anything but. His sacrifice has a legacy, and it is precisely this legacy that will inspire others to incite radical and meaningful change. 

The greatness of Fearless is that we can interpret who the dissident is. He could be a whistleblower, a political activist or maybe just a son or daughter from an oppressive family. It is a truly poignant and beautiful song about standing by your convictions, being empowered and liberated by your conscious, and standing up for what you believe in, regardless of how much you may be sanctioned and persecuted.

This was taken from my blog - http://subvertart.blogspot.com.au/

Thanks for reading. Please do share your thoughts! 

Edited by Fearlessly - December 30 2016 at 04:56
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 03:52
That some analysis for one song...........and a fine one at that !!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 04:09

Sigmund Freud once said that "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" when speaking about metaphorical meanings. The same can hold true with the hill in the song. It can be just a hill, as in just a dirt mound. The only one who knows for sure of what it actually refers to is the songwriter. And sometimes songwriters don't even have a clue as to the meaning of what they're writing.

Ultimately, the song's meaning is in eye of the beholder, or in this case, the ear of the listener.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 04:29
Good job on the analysis of the song.  It's one of my favorite songs in the prog vein and has given me strength over the years.  Thanks for doing it. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Fearlessly View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 04:42
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

That some analysis for one song...........and a fine one at that !!

Thank you, sir. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 04:48
Quote Sigmund Freud once said that "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" when speaking about metaphorical meanings. The same can hold true with the hill in the song. It can be just a hill, as in just a dirt mound. The only one who knows for sure of what it actually refers to is the songwriter. And sometimes songwriters don't even have a clue as to the meaning of what they're writing.

Ultimately, the song's meaning is in eye of the beholder, or in this case, the ear of the listener.

I agree. As I said at the beginning of my post, this is entirely a subjective interpretation. I think part of why I love Pink Floyd so much, particularly their pre-Dark Side of the Moon work, is that their lyrical content is very open. They leave a lot for the imagination, and their choice of wording is deliberately ambiguous
(in comparison to something like Dogs, which is also very political). 

To me, this song is about dissidence and subversion, especially when you take into account the sociocultural context of the time. But to somebody else, it could mean something entirely different, and that is the beauty of it.  

Quote Good job on the analysis of the song.  It's one of my favorite songs in the prog vein and has given me strength over the years.  Thanks for doing it.

Thanks for reading it. It has had a similar effect on me too. 
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 05:15
I always thought it was about Bill Shankly.  
Bigger on the inside.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 08:38
Well...first of all you have several lyrics wrong according to the re-mastered cd digital Meddle version and the inside lyric sheet.
------------------------
You say the hill's too steep to climb, climbing
You say you'd like to see me try, climbing
You pick the place and I'll choose the time
And I'll climb the hill in my own way
Just wait a while for the right day
And as I rise above the tree line and the clouds
I look down hearing the sound
of the things you said today

Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd, smiling
mercilessly the magistrate turns around, frowning
And who's the fool who wears the crown
No doubt in your own way
And every day is the right day
And as you rise above the fear lines in his brow
You look down hear the sound of the faces in the crowd
------------

At any rate as Steve said sometimes lyrics are just straight up....and are more about the general imagery than any deep message.
It implies to me to be yourself and stick to what you believe as you go through life doing your own thing.

Edited by dr wu23 - December 30 2016 at 08:39
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 11:40
Excellent job at analyzing Fearless.   Flawless Pink Floyd song.  Makes my heart soar above the tree line and the clouds.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 11:56
I've always really overlooked Fearless, but this really makes me appreciate it more. Great job! ClapClap
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 15:53
Quote ..and are more about the general imagery than any deep message.

I don't think there is anything particularly deep or obfuscated in my interpretation of the song. 

Thank you to everybody else who appreciated the analysis. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 17:58
As an aside, I think Mason's drumming on this track is quite interesting, especially how it fits with the guitar riffs.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 18:07
A couple things. You've chosen an internet lyric site that has mistaken words in the song. For instance, the correct lines are...

Climb it. 
You say you'd like to see me try 
Climbing. 

It is an instigation: You say the hill's too steep to climb? Climb it anyway!

-and also

And as you rise above the fear-lines in his brow 
You look down, hearing the sound of the faces in the crowd. 

"fear-lines in his brow" refer to the worry lines on one's forehead (brow), most likely referring back to the fool who wears the crown.

Edited by The Dark Elf - December 30 2016 at 18:11
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 18:29
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

A couple things. You've chosen an internet lyric site that has mistaken words in the song. For instance, the correct lines are...

Climb it. 
Climbing. 

-and also

"fear-lines in his brow" refer to the worry lines on one's forehead (brow), most likely referring back to the fool who wears the crown.

So I guess Roger Waters goes by the Internet lyrics of the song, then?

Edited by Fearlessly - December 30 2016 at 18:33
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 18:46
According to the CD booklet of my official 90s Floyd remasters:

You say the hills too steep to climb, climbing
You say you'd like to see me try, climbing

Of course CD booklets can be wrong too.

Edit: Just noticed Dr. Wu already stated the Floyd CD lyric sheet.  Embarrassed

Edited by Finnforest - December 30 2016 at 18:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 18:50
Originally posted by Fearlessly Fearlessly wrote:

Climb it. 
Climbing. 

-and also

Merely going off of lyrics sheets from Pink Floyd's Meddle CD (as mentioned above by Dr. Wu), and the sheet music I've had for over 30 years that was published through TRO - Hampshire House Publishing Corp., Pink Floyd's publishing house from the 60s through the 80s.

Edited by The Dark Elf - December 30 2016 at 18:50
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 18:55
^ Wu's (and my) lyrics sheet say "climbing" ending the first line though, not "climb it"

Does your CD insert really say "Climb it" ??
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 19:01
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

^ Wu's (and my) lyrics sheet say "climbing" ending the first line though, not "climb it"

Does your CD insert really say "Climb it" ??
No, you're right. The CD says "Climbing", but the sheet music from their publishing house says "Climb it!" (with exclamation point). Both say "brow" and not "brown" (brown makes no sense linguistically).

Edited by The Dark Elf - December 30 2016 at 19:03
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 19:11
Just played the song again and gotta admit (no pun) it does sound like "chiding" on Dave's original take.  I can hear a distinct "ch" sound at the beginning. 

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2016 at 19:13

Originally posted by Fearlessly Fearlessly wrote:

Climb it. 
Climbing. 

-and also

Merely going off of lyrics sheets from Pink Floyd's Meddle CD (as mentioned above by Dr. Wu), and the sheet music I've had for over 30 years that was published through TRO - Hampshire House Publishing Corp., Pink Floyd's publishing house from the 60s through the 80s.

If it really did originally say: 

No doubt in your own way
And every day is the right day

Then it did not really sound as such in the versions I have heard of Fearless, for instance. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>