Topic ClosedKansas Prelude Implicit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kansas Prelude Implicit
    Posted: December 31 2016 at 02:37
Kansas Prelude Implicit

Most often I am frustrated by bands that try and recreate the past on tours with replacement members. Yet I give Kansas credit for releasing the LP The Prelude Implicit and offering new material by a well known band with new members. 

The album maintains the tight qualities Kansas is known to offer. 

I gravitate towards the tracks, Summer and Voyage of Eight Eighteen. They offer the complexity of prog rock yet maintain a mainstream progression.

I'd see this tour live because I'd be interested in the new members. Not just hear them try to be a cover band.

(My first post. Be easy on me.)

Edited by alanwaston - January 10 2017 at 00:21
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2016 at 03:23
I was shocked to find myself enjoying the album. With only 2 original members, it haRd to believe they captured the classic Kansas essence.

Regarding your first post: Kansas being a full fledged prog band you could have posted this in the 'Prog band appreciation' section. Otherwise, nothing here to beat you up over. Welcome.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2016 at 05:00
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

I was shocked to find myself enjoying the album. With only 2 original members, it haRd to believe they captured the classic Kansas essence.

Regarding your first post: Kansas being a full fledged prog band you could have posted this in the 'Prog band appreciation' section. Otherwise, nothing here to beat you up over. Welcome.

I gave it a spin last week and was shocked I liked it. I've put it aside until I can spend some time with it but I didn't see that coming. The SeaofTranquility site gave it number one overall for 2016, combing their reviewers picks but still this is a good album.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2016 at 09:21
As the official #1 Progarchives Kansas fanboy my opinion is obviously biased, but despite skepticism after the first few spins I've grown to really appreciate this album. I saw the latest Kansas lineup this summer and they were as engaged and relevant as I've seen them in quite a few years, and I've seen pretty much every evolution of the band since the Point of Know Return tour.

They borrowed heavily from their classic period on this album, but you have to give props to a band that can put together a solid 4 star album nearly forty years after their last 4 star album. Can't think of many bands who've managed that.
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
 Post Reply Post Reply