Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you believe in man-made global warming?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Poll Question: Is man-made greenhouse warming a hoax/ conspiracy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [31.25%]
33 [68.75%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 13:13
We plead guilty, Your Honor.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 02:33
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

A conspiracy, a hoax, a scam or just poppycock... one of these four it should be, albeit not made in China. I always have the idea that this smells a bit too much like science subdued to politics. I voted the Yes option for other reasons than Mascodagama. OK, global temperatures may be a bit beyond my scope, and at a local level the monthly average temperatures have been rising more than one degree Centigrade in some months during the last three or four decades, but I have my doubts, I cannot help it, even though the average time lapse between two editions of the Elfstedentocht has increased (the last one was held twenty years and one day ago, but that is not yet a record, this is still 22 years and 34 days, 1963-85; the "global warming" started in '87 or '88 as far as I'm informed).

Weather update: a minimum temperature of -8°C is predicted for tonight at De Bilt, NL's main weather station Wink.
The key to making any judgements about "global warming" is understanding the difference between global climate and local climate. In simplest terms seasonal global temperatures are the average of all the individual local seasonal temperatures so for example some regions will see an increase in temperatures above average while others can experience a decrease - "Global warming" does not preclude local decreases in temperature.

There are two major mechanisms that affect the local climate in the North Atlantic - the atmospheric jet stream and the oceanic Gulf stream, both of which can result in decreases in average season temperatures in Eastern North America and North-Western Europe as a consequence of "Global Warming". For The Netherlands (and the UK) the major player here is the Gulf Stream that brings warm water across the Atlantic from the Gulf of Mexico that keeps local average land temperatures several degrees warmer than they would normally be for these northern countries. For example Calgary and Kiev are on the same latitude as De Bilt (and Cambridge) but experience far colder winters and less warmer summers than any city in Holland (or England). Anything that affects the North Atlantic ocean currents can have a marked effect on local climate that far exceeds any global average. 

For this reason it is better to refer to this as climate change rather than global warming. And it pretty much started during the first industrial revolution when there was a marked increase in the burning of fossil fuel but the effects of that on the atmosphere and global temperatures were only noticeable in the 1980s as these effects tend to follow a power-law (as do most things in physics).

Edited by Dean - January 07 2017 at 02:33
What?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 05:27
^^^ Indeed, and it is broadly referred as climate change these days rather than global warming, at least in the mainstream. Alt media still referes to it as global warming.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 20:29
I would propose next a poll asking whether we belive the Earth is kind of round or flat.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 20:36
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I would propose next a poll asking whether we belive the Earth is kind of round or flat.

Hey now, don't you start criticizing the rigour of the Flat Earth Theory! It's one of those tried and true tenets of sound science, like geocentrism and the plum pudding model of the atom! 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 09:37
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Hey now, don't you start criticizing the rigour of the Flat Earth Theory! It's one of those tried and true tenets of sound science, like geocentrism and the plum pudding model of the atom! 

How could the Earth be flat, when it had been proved it was hollow?! Angry
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 14:10
Has anyone looked into the amount of hair spray used in Hollywood?

You know Hollywood started in the 1930's, so could be responsible- think they need to do some core samples there....................
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 14:31
Me thinks we also should investigate Michale Bay's movies: with all these explosions, this guy must send a lot of carbon in the atmosphere! Shocked
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 14:37
Climate changes are natural. You have periods of warming and cooling. Human contribution to the environemnt through gas emissions is almost negligible when contrasting it to the amount of natural chemical processes in play through history, and today: cows alone contribute more than humans...and we are talking about methane, not CO2 which is a minor gas compared, for instance, with water vapor.
Sea levels are on the rise since the last ice age...also natural.
Claiming climate change is man-made is akin to claiming the earth is flat. Utter unadulterated ignorance.
I hope primitivist nutjobs don't come forward with the theory that dinosaurs had factories and cars...
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 14:57
Climate change occurs naturally, and I've never heard anyone dispute that, but the evidence is overwhelming that man, especially since the industrial revolution, has had a very significant impact on the climate, has accelerated change, and we pump out so much CO2 that the greenhouse effect is worrying. For that matter, methane production has been increased due to the beef industry. And as the ice melts (more permafost is lost) due to global warming, more methane will be released.

Volcanoes have been a major contributor to CO2 levels, but our technology is pumping out more.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:10
Even most climate change deniers have changed their tune from "it doesn't exist" to "we are in a natural warming cycle" to now "man has probably had an impact, but not too much and it's nothing to worry about" . When even the skeptics are getting less skeptical, seems like odds are it's not bunk science.

Edited by Failcore - January 18 2017 at 15:10
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:16
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^^^ Indeed, and it is broadly referred as climate change these days rather than global warming, at least in the mainstream. Alt media still referes to it as global warming.
They changed to climate change from global warming, because there'd be a snowstorm and all the right wingers shake their fists and are like "See this! Global warming my ass!"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:17
Climate change is real. Trump is a hoax.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:20
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Then, whom did the Americans vote for? Confused
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:21
^Most voted for Hillary. Strange, isn't it?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:27

Only because of #RIGGED voting by crooked Killary. Stop spreading cuck lies. :P j/k
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:28
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Climate change occurs naturally, and I've never heard anyone dispute that, but the evidence is overwhelming that man, especially since the industrial revolution, has had a very significant impact on the climate, has accelerated change, and we pump out so much CO2 that the greenhouse effect is worrying. For that matter, methane production has been increased due to the beef industry. And as the ice melts (more permafost is lost) due to global warming, more methane will be released.

Volcanoes have been a major contributor to CO2 levels, but our technology is pumping out more.

Yep, it's not "man-made" in the sense that climate change hasn't existed until we came along, it's just that human activity is causing it to change far more rapidly than it ever has in the past.

Here's a pretty good visual depiction of the time scales of climate change. It should give a bit more of an intuitive sense of just how drastic climate change has been in recent years.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:29

What do you suggest then? Another conspiracy or a cover-up?
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:30
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Then, whom did the Americans vote for? Confused

"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 15:30

Yeah, I know: there is this system of Great Electors, and all that American constitutional stuff that I hardly understand, since we silly French people vote directly for our President without passing by an assembly of "representatives"...
Which may make us look even sillier when you realise that many French citizens effectively voted for Sarkozy...

But that's another story and we should stick to the thread.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>