Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you believe in man-made global warming?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: Is man-made greenhouse warming a hoax/ conspiracy?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [31.25%]
33 [68.75%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 13:35
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A majority of PA pollsters, so far, think that the world is millions of years old but that climate change is false. What gives? Confused

A majority here think that man-made (or man exacerbated to put it a little better) greenhouse warming is not a hoax or conspiracy.

One has to take into account the clowning around I did with the poll question as opposed to the topic title.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 13:46
O-tay, Panky.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 16:36
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

Gotta love a good, smart, scientific debate.
"Tidal waves are upon us. Mankind is doomed. I feel it in my guts, we are condemned! We will pay for our sins against Gaia!"
You are talking about rapture and judgment day...show me hard proof God exists.
You are talking about men destroying the earth...show me hard proof it is so.

Clowns to the left. Jokers to the right.

So the evidence published by climate scientists the world over isn't proof as far as your concerned?

You're equating religious psychosis with science. Good luck with that.

Honestly, global warming has been essentially turned into political psychosis rather than science. Yes, there's absolutely scientific proof that humans have had an effect on climate change since The Industrial Age, but it's turned into a political issue. It shouldn't be, as it has nothing to do with politics and is purely science, hence why it can be hard to have an actual scientific debate about the issue.

Politicians need to get out of the scientific world, so actual science can be presented without bias and agenda. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 16:44
It does have a political dimension, of course, since politicians make decisions on policy and make choices when it comes to funding, direction etc.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 17:22
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

So your not worried about the Antarctic Ice?

Heavens no! I am not at all worried about the Antarctic ice, because it's too far south to concern me. And it's very dense ice, not unlike some posters on this forum.
Arctic ice by and large does not sit over land. If it melts, it will not raise sea level (Greenland's ice, though, is one serious exception). Antarctic ice sits over a continent, and, if it melts, it will raise sea levels - everywhere.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 17:26
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Heavens no! I am not at all worried about the Antarctic ice, because it's too far south to concern me. And it's very dense ice, not unlike some posters on this forum.
Arctic ice by and large does not sit over land. If it melts, it will not raise sea level (Greenland's ice, though, is one serious exception). Antarctic ice sits over a continent, and, if it melts, it will raise sea levels - everywhere.

Like I said the darkest Ice is the densest LOL
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 18:26
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Yes, there's scientific proof that technological advancements since the industrial age have at least partly caused global warming. There is, however, also a pattern of climate change that the Earth has naturally gone in, so it's not like we've completely altered the atmosphere. To believe humans have the power to do that in such a relatively short time is absurd.
Not at all sure why it's absurd. The dust bowl was a man-made ecological disaster that removed the topsoil from 100,000,000 acres. That was done by only a small population of regional farmers with far lower technology than we have today. Humans were 100% responsible. It never would have happened without over farming and inadvisable farming techniques. It was not a 100% man-made because there were other climactic conditions contributing. That's a different assessment, which is also overly reductive, like saying the baseball's mass and density are partly responsible for breaking the window. In actuality, Earth climate would be naturally going in the direction of cooling absent the human contribution.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 20:47

Yes, there's scientific proof that technological advancements since the industrial age have at least partly caused global warming. There is, however, also a pattern of climate change that the Earth has naturally gone in, so it's not like we've completely altered the atmosphere. To believe humans have the power to do that in such a relatively short time is absurd.
Not at all sure why it's absurd. The dust bowl was a man-made ecological disaster that removed the topsoil from 100,000,000 acres. That was done by only a small population of regional farmers with far lower technology than we have today. Humans were 100% responsible. It never would have happened without over farming and inadvisable farming techniques. It was not a 100% man-made because there were other climactic conditions contributing. That's a different assessment, which is also overly reductive, like saying the baseball's mass and density are partly responsible for breaking the window. In actuality, Earth climate would be naturally going in the direction of cooling absent the human contribution.

I forgot about that, and that is true. I guess I wasn't being clear enough, as I was trying to say that some things relating to global warming have been somewhat blown out of proportion in the past. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 22:03

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

Gotta love a good, smart, scientific debate.
"Tidal waves are upon us. Mankind is doomed. I feel it in my guts, we are condemned! We will pay for our sins against Gaia!"
You are talking about rapture and judgment day...show me hard proof God exists.
You are talking about men destroying the earth...show me hard proof it is so.

Clowns to the left. Jokers to the right.

So the evidence published by climate scientists the world over isn't proof as far as your concerned?

You're equating religious psychosis with science. Good luck with that.

Honestly, global warming has been essentially turned into political psychosis rather than science. Yes, there's absolutely scientific proof that humans have had an effect on climate change since The Industrial Age, but it's turned into a political issue. It shouldn't be, as it has nothing to do with politics and is purely science, hence why it can be hard to have an actual scientific debate about the issue.

Politicians need to get out of the scientific world, so actual science can be presented without bias and agenda. 

Dream on! Everything gets tainted by politics, even unicorns on rainbow factories on Planet X.
Seriously, how can this even be a topic? Exxon was already busted for hiding climate change caused by the burning of fossil fuels since the 1950s. While there in irrefutible evidence that humans have been changing the climate at a faster rate, it is quite true that the climate changes with or without us. We are a sort of catalyst. It is also true that we are entering a more energetic sector of the galaxy and the fact is that EVERY planet in our solar system is also experiencing changes in their atmospheric tendencies. The problem is that it is super complex and that science is indeed very much hijacked for the sake of poltical manipulation and to be skewed for money making endeavors (hear that carbon traders?) that create a huge misty cloud of confusion for the scientific illiterates of the world (hello USA! do you hear me?)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 02:48
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

We are a sort of catalyst. It is also true that we are entering a more energetic sector of the galaxy and the fact is that EVERY planet in our solar system is also experiencing changes in their atmospheric tendencies. The problem is that it is super complex and that science is indeed very much hijacked for the sake of poltical manipulation and to be skewed for money making endeavors (hear that carbon traders?) that create a huge misty cloud of confusion for the scientific illiterates of the world (hello USA! do you hear me?)

Clap It took 5 pages 'till someone come up here posting at last what sums up my thoughts. And I would add China to the major portion of the cake, less than half a century of globalisation and we are already seeing the damn effects on their political relationships.

Edited by Tillerman88 - January 20 2017 at 02:50
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 08:14
I really can't believe this is even up for debate. 

Please other nations, copy what's good about the US, not what's bad. 
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 08:46
Okay , The T-Rump.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 09:00
A more injuring insult I have never received. 

Ouch

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 10:27
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

33.33% of the people here think man-made global warming isn't real. 

Well I guess Trump could also become main super-Admin of ProgArchives after all. 

No T, at least 4 out of the 13 votes have been posted by mistake, due the misleading question.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 10:35

Honestly, global warming has been essentially turned into political psychosis rather than science. Yes, there's absolutely scientific proof that humans have had an effect on climate change since The Industrial Age, but it's turned into a political issue. It shouldn't be, as it has nothing to do with politics and is purely science, hence why it can be hard to have an actual scientific debate about the issue.

Have you ever gone to Santiago?

I have

Resultado de imagen para santiago smog

Resultado de imagen para santiago smog

You can't breathe and temperature is almost 2 degrees over normal

Have you gone to Mexico City

Resultado de imagen para Mexico smog
Imagen relacionada

The same

China

Resultado de imagen para China smog

Don't tell me this doesn't have a terrible effect on climate.

Don't tell me it's not a political issue.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 20 2017 at 10:38

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 15:06
^ amen, Ivan.

Los Angeles used to be the same and BECAUSE of regulations set forth by the EPA we can now see the mountains around the city! The solutions may indeed be complex but the evidence is so overwhelming and damning about our contributions to the problem that our species deserves the ultimate Ostrich head in the Sand Award. BTW, most scientists agree that we are now in the 6th mass extinction of the planet due to human  activities so UNLESS you have a degree in the sciences your opinion about this matter is MEANINGLESS

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 17:01
^^I never said that it doesn't have a terrible effect on climate, and yes it's a political issue in the sense of needing regulation. Again, I had a poor choice of words. I was simply trying to say that politics can get in the way of what's true, with many politicians using real issues to their advantage (On both sides).

It's absurd to believe that global warming isn't real, as is believing that the mountain tops should have been free of ice by 2015/2016.

Edited by Pastmaster - January 20 2017 at 17:01
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 17:05
^ If we could just contain Donald Trump's usage of Hair Spray the world would be safe..............

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - January 20 2017 at 17:05
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 17:23

Like I said the darkest Ice is the densest LOL
When you learn to discern sarcasm without the need of emoticons, get back with me. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2017 at 18:32
^^I never said that it doesn't have a terrible effect on climate, and yes it's a political issue in the sense of needing regulation. Again, I had a poor choice of words. I was simply trying to say that politics can get in the way of what's true, with many politicians using real issues to their advantage (On both sides).

It's absurd to believe that global warming isn't real, as is believing that the mountain tops should have been free of ice by 2015/2016.

I'M so GLAD you SEE thingz THAT way. WE are in A time of EARTHLY crisis BUT yer RITE that WE politics is RUINING evERYThing
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down 

Forum Senior Member 
Forum Senior Member 

hahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahah!
Post Options Post Options 
  Thanks (0) Thanks(0) 
  Quote&amp;nbsp;EddieRUKiddingVarese Quote  Post ReplyReply
New Post: Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1 hour 23 minutes ago at 17:05
^ If we could just contain Donald Trump's usage of Hair Spray the world would be safe.............. 

Edited by EddieRUKiddingVarese - 1 hour 23 minutes ago at 17:05

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>