FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson New Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 00:24

Wow things are falling apart very fast now for mr Wilson.
This sounds like taking the worst out of HCE and then expanding on it.

Edited by Bonnek - January 08 2017 at 00:33
racarrera View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 23:56
I'm looking forward to hearing the finished product!
Best,

Rudy Carrera
http://rudycarrera.com/
http://amiscellany.info/
http://clcx.org/
Kustin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 05:24
It does remind me of HCE (in particular Perfect Life) but as I enjoyed the directions Steven took since Grace For Drowning, I am getting stoked again for where he's going again on the next release. The sample is beautiful, too.
ecasasmusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 11:15
Can't wait!!
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 03:27
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/steven_wilson_what_to_expect_from_my_new_album.html

September?! I was expecting spring for some reason...
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 05:44
Only having recently gotten into PT and Wilson's solo material I find that I like the music best when he gets heavy. Overall, his stuff is very hit or miss with me
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 08:13
Originally posted by Watchmaker Watchmaker wrote:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/steven_wilson_what_to_expect_from_my_new_album.html

Sept....sounds about right. I bet he books some show dates between now and then.....Busiest man in music.

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 15:09
I for one don't expect HCR 2.   Mr. Wilson, as per usual, will  surprise fans and upset his critics. 

For his upcoming album "To the Bone", Steven Wilson hired everybody's  favorite harmonic session player, Mark Feltham.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - February 12 2017 at 18:59
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2017 at 07:39
For me, SW's albums have diminishing returns ever since Raven.  I've seen every tour for each solo album since and even in live performance I don't find his recent albums (since Raven) satisfying. 

Just as A Perfect Circle was "Tool for chicks", I feel SW's recent output is 'prog for chicks'.  Not because of the inclusion of Ninet, but this seems the direction he's headed now.  '4 1/2' was clearly a collection of songs that weren't good enough for HCE, yet deemed worthy for an afterthought EP and a quick tour.  I have low expectations for this upcoming release based on what I've heard...sounds like more of the same.
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 07:31
So, based on a bit of harmonica, you've all judged the new album to be "more of the same". Honestly, I weep for you guys. You're missing out on the best prog being made right now. 
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 14:06
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Watchmaker Watchmaker wrote:

Sept....sounds about right. I bet he books some show dates between now and then.....Busiest man in music.

Probably will, probably did too. But, after all, he just finished up and released Blackfield V!
I'm really loving the vocals on "Pariah" especially when Ninet comes in. The vocals remind me of parts of "Perfect Life" from HCE and "Lonely Soul" from Blackfield V.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 14:09
Originally posted by Disconnect Disconnect wrote:

For me, SW's albums have diminishing returns ever since Raven.  I've seen every tour for each solo album since and even in live performance I don't find his recent albums (since Raven) satisfying. 

Just as A Perfect Circle was "Tool for chicks", I feel SW's recent output is 'prog for chicks'.  Not because of the inclusion of Ninet, but this seems the direction he's headed now.  '4 1/2' was clearly a collection of songs that weren't good enough for HCE, yet deemed worthy for an afterthought EP and a quick tour.  I have low expectations for this upcoming release based on what I've heard...sounds like more of the same.

Couldn't disagree more. Though GFD is my favorite album by him, HCE and 4 1/2 are quite nice, at least in my opinion. I'd actually be kind of happy to hear, "...more of the same." :/
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 01:31
Originally posted by Disconnect Disconnect wrote:

Agreed although he set an incredibly high standard with the first 3 solo releases which are near faultless. HCE is a 4 star album which is still good while 4 1/2 is just marking time before he releases something 'proper'. IMO.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 07:18
I don't even class 4.5 as a real album to be honest.  However his four full albums are exceptional in my view and he has a continually hard act to follow.  My favourite is Raven, then probably GfD next , but I love Insurgentes and HCE too.  They are really hard to actually list in order.

If album 5 is good as any of the first four we are in for a treat.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 10:34
4-1/2 is tough to categorize as an "album"...agree, and I don't think SW feels it is a proper album but a collection of songs. Heck I don't consider Recordings by Porcupine Tree as an album simply a collection of songs or B songs.
Insurgentes took time to grow on me, I am not a huge fan of that drone type music, but it now gets plenty of spins on the turntable. 
I am probably like most, The Raven is so tough to top with GFD next, the others can all be in a tie.

At this point my only critique is I would rather have Marco behind the kit than Craig..I just like Marco better, Craig did an admirable job on the HCE Tour, I just like Marco better Smile

I think we are in for a treat also with the Fifth album.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 05:43
^ Totally agree re Minneman.  As good as Blundell is Marco Minneman is simply outstanding.  I saw him drumming with Joe Satriani's band a year or so ago and he single-handedly propelled the band into the stratosphere.  Satch fed off that too and it was an amazing show.
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2017 at 02:31
Two years already Clap. Plus info about new album

It's 2 years ago today since the release of my last album Hand. Cannot. Erase., how time flies! The album was a major conceptual project involving the creation of a whole back story for the main character through the blog and the most elaborate deluxe edition to date. The album did very well for me, reaching the top 5 in Germany, The Netherlands and Finland, number 13 in the UK and number 38 in the US Billboard top 200. Then there was the tour, which only recently came to a conclusion after approximately 150 shows, including 2 special sold out shows at the Royal Albert Hall, London. A big part of the show was also the video work, and you can watch Jess Cope's remarkable animated video for the song Routine here.

In the meantime recording work on the follow up to H.C.E. is in its final stages. I'm very proud of the fact that all of my 4 albums have been very different in character from each other, and once again this one will be a step into something quite different, and on a new label. Stay tuned for more news here soon.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 06:19
Just an fyi: I will be deleting any posts that concern themselves with ilegal downloads/leaks
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12