FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe NO.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The NO.
    Posted: January 05 2017 at 16:15
Good day, everyone! I would like to represent the one-man band from Ukraine - The NO. Actually, I do not play any instrument (well, except for triangle and the people's nerves, and that sort). But, quite like Frank Zappa I like Queen, I like Gentle Giant.
I like the scary feeling in music, but also the versatility of arts. Black metal is utterly not for me and Lacrimosa is probably too one-sided, too. So, I have tried to make something fresh, non-banal, non-monotonous, with hints at black metal album intros & outros, with sometimes somewhat scary vocals; with hints at ambient, noise, this way of making music; with hints at progressive rock in terms of innovative inventions and especially unexpectedness. My music is of course unexpected at many points. This is for sure.

However, since it is all made on a casual notebook by using the free samples from GG's Scraping The Barrel Box Set or simply by copypasting excerpts from some well-known East-European pop or rock songs (then to mutilate them heavily until noone is able to identify them, usually!Smile), of course, the resulting sound is very raw, very amateur in quality. 128 Kbps, I made it in Audacity, one track was even made in mono (intentionally). There are obvious clicks and the like abound.

I personally like classic prog, prefer the older times to the 2000s, like retro (especially, theSoviet songs, including great WWII ones like The Sacred War (power metal of the 40s, as I call it), Katyusha, Three Tankmen, At The City Of Kronshtadt, etc.). I cannot say I like the modern day BD and such stuff - fine quality DVD and fine quality Audio CD are what I think is the final top. I listen to most recordings in 128 Kbps mp3, btw. Clarity issues, depths are not my hobbies.

I think that maybe at some point with all those clicks removed, polished (and tested in terms of the legality of using other bands' music fragments), this disc will be released officially. For me it is not that important, though. This is the true art. I wanted to create it, no matter how other people will treat it. I felt that I had to make it. This is what makes it the true art for me. For me. I am not that crazy to believe every listener should think the way I do...

As of now, nine out of eleven tracks are made. I have posted them all on YouTube.

I can say that I am mad about this my music and adore it Clap. But it's neither quite doom metal, nor quite ambient, nor quite your progressive classics. It is hardly metal at all, because there is little use of guitars in the samples that I used, at all.

What I tend to describe it is "neurotic raw atmospheric scary diverse dark sample-based ambient" Tongue. Some pieces do sound close to early Lacrimosa, to my ears. Anyway, I think that maybe some of you people could also like it. Please notice that the track no. 3 contains recordings of what can be considered real female orgasms, so it's not for children, definitely.

Also, I can say that if you don't like the style of one of those 9 compositions, you may give a try to all the rest, since each of them is different in style.

Ehm, you say in the rules that there must be complete possible information. Feel free to ask me anything. I would be glad not to read really 100% negative commentaries. I tried relatively hard, after all.

Thanks for your attention!

Goodbye! Good listening!

P.S. Yes, I know, there are quite a few audible clicks. It is just testing of what it might be. Also, it is a guarantee that nobody will download it from YT to pretend it is his/hers to have a profit from it... Ouch
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 16:25
The No is the nickname of my home town, Fresno, Ca. Also known as F***no.
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2017 at 16:59
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

The No is the nickname of my home town, Fresno, Ca. Also known as F***no.

I wanted the mystery to be kept as long as possible. But if you insistSmile: when I was a beginning teenager I dreamt of creating the real rock band like say Aerosmith (I haven't heard of prog back then). I have coupled my favourite number (as of then) with my fave fruit (as of then). It has brought me the name Ninth Orange. In short, NO. This band's name is already about 23 years old, though there is no band as such to this name.

Since I do not take all this scary stuff put in music seriously, this album is of course a bit of parody. The Eastern Slavic languages do not have the concept of articles. We traditionally confuse a/the/lack_of_them because this concept is alien to us. I have added The to NO just for joke.

It's just a joke. All of it. However, it's not pure circus. To those who do not know some clues about these songs they should be perceived with all the seriousness and scariness.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 10:07
Meant not as editorial, merely a sidebar. I will sample The No during a quiet moment.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2017 at 11:13

I hope I had understood you right, that's why I have added a smiley after the word "insist". I wanted to make it clear what NO does it mean? Not a counterattack at Yes - although I love only one album by Yes, which is Fragile.

The funny thing that I didn't mention earlier is that being a native Russian speaker, a few years ago I have realized that if translated in Russian Ninth Orange becomes Devyaty Apelsin - that is, DA (that is, YES)! That was incredible. The mystics of the highest calibre.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 17:08
I you decide to listen to it, better start with this composition, it is the longest and shows my interest in creating scare, mysterious atmosphere - I must remark that it has nothing to do with occultism (neither black nor white), at ll. It just imitates that connection...

Edited by Woon Deadn - January 07 2017 at 20:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 17:45
Since now the whole album is ready. Please be careful with the volume.
Everything is right there!

Edited by Woon Deadn - January 16 2017 at 15:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2017 at 11:40
The first track from the 2nd album is ready.

It is the 4-part piece, pretending to convey the feelings of re-visiting the famous Malpertuis, hellish house made by the imagination of Belgian writer Jean Ray.
Now, many years after, there are other creatures with other names haunting the same good old house.
:-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2017 at 06:34
I am not a fan of KC by whichever measure, starting from the name. I like one their album Lizard, I moderately like a few bits from here and there. To my humble personal mind, this composition below is what should have been titled The Talking Drum. Made by me entirely of one and only free sample (taken from Scraping The Barrel box set, played by GG's drummer John Weathers).

Then again, to each his own. I prefer GG and Queen to KC and Pink Floyd.

Edited by Woon Deadn - February 22 2017 at 10:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 16:19
Quite the kind of deep underground avantgarde black ambient music some left-hand path musicians used to make. The only difference here is that I am not a satanist like all of them. Thus, this is non-black black horror ambient below:

ALL voices here were performed by one man. The me.

Edited by Woon Deadn - February 26 2017 at 16:21
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2017 at 03:50
Since now the whole second album, full of madness, weirdness, mid-fi 128Kbps/44 Khz stuff, psychedelia feel, true horror and great diversity (and even a pinch of bdsm - aka dsbm?) is ready! A few hints at my dear Gentle Giant and even a free sample by Jonh Weathers, GG's drummer. Three songs were improved a bit specially for the album.

Track list is below the video. And it is:
1. A Journey Through Hell: Malpertuis Revisited 
    1) Ariesse, of slimy smile;  
    2) Arielle, of swan's voice;  
    3) Ariedde, of wicked weaponry;  
    4) Ariegge, of goat's manners. 
2. The Visual Stench 
3. Grim Grinning Female Faces In The Window (album version) 
4. The Mad, The Vile, The Insane, The Evil 
5. Witch Watches You (album version)
6. PIE 
7. Hollow Undivinity  
8. Bestiality Brillante (album version)
9. Mass Screwed In The Ass And Severely Tortured By Dehtia (Dehytha), Merciless Goddess Of Militant Femininity, Kindly Assisted Featuring Her Carefully Craftfully Chosen Devoted Dedicated Dominant Priestesses (Acquiring The Taste)  
10. A Madical Abyss As It Is 
11. Join The Interring Ceremony Which Is Currently Being Held At The Very Gates Infernal And Below

Please remember: By no means is it satanic, occult, magick(al). By no means was I intending to call somebody to kill himself/herself/themselves or anybody else. It is just a pure art created for the art's sake.

Edited by Woon Deadn - March 02 2017 at 03:52
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2017 at 17:27
Starting as the sort-of-harsh-noise stuff, this 1 hour 36 minutes 43 seconds' composition actually consists of 23 separate pieces that include several odd synth solos as well as other weird unpredictable things. Everything here is played and performed exclusively by me, this time.

Post Reply Post Reply