Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson USA 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson USA 2017
    Posted: January 07 2017 at 14:34
The band will spend much of the year in the States.  

http://www.jambase.com/article/robert-fripp-confirms-king-crimson-tour-us-2017
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 14:38
And now with four drummers!Shocked

I have thoroughly enjoyed the dvd of the last tour with three drummers, so it will be interesting to see how this one goes.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 14:49
Steve are you talking about the Radical Action package?
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 16:14
Wow...four drummers. I like it.

Hopefullly I'll be able to catch one of these shows.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2017 at 23:52
Sadly I missed them for two consecutive years now in Europe, I hope I can catch them in Seattle in february/march when I should be there...
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 09:34
Since Bill Rieflin is a multi-instrumentist, do you think he will play as a fourth drummer?
I don't know what are the plans of Fripp for the next concerts (does he intend to cover Xenakis' "Pleiades"?!), but touring with four drumsets already looks like heavily burdening in terms of logistics... How many trucks does one need to travel with four drumsets?
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 11:58
Cool. Saw them in San Fran during the last west coast tour. Will definitely head out to the west coast to see them again this go around...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
TronFlutes View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 12:09
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Since Bill Rieflin is a multi-instrumentist, do you think he will play as a fourth drummer?
I don't know what are the plans of Fripp for the next concerts (does he intend to cover Xenakis' "Pleiades"?!), but touring with four drumsets already looks like heavily burdening in terms of logistics... How many trucks does one need to travel with four drumsets?
  Oh c'mon, this is 2017 dude. They'll probably tour with a 3D printer and output 4 sets of disposable kits for each gig.  Wink
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 14:43
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

And now with four drummers!Shocked

I have thoroughly enjoyed the dvd of the last tour with three drummers, so it will be interesting to see how this one goes.

Four drummers?

That might come close to one Bill Bruford.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 10:37
with the same old material?
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 11:12
I might just have to make it a third time to see them.  I saw them twice in the 90s, including the double trio.  Unfortunately, both occasions were marred by bad sound - one of them among the worst I have ever heard.  It was in a beautiful concert hall definitely not designed for loud heavily distorted and intricate rock.  They simply overwhelmed the facility and the whole show was basically a wall of noise.  Of course, that may have been the way Fripp wanted it. Wink
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 19:50
Hi,

I'm thinking that the extra person is to help take the load off Fripp and allow the middle drummer to do more keyboards. It will make the show even stronger, I bet.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 05:48
crossing my fingers for a Dallas-Fort Worth show. 
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 06:04
So if it is a double quartet one would assume that each quartet has one guitarist, a drummer and a drummer / keyboardist. One quartet would have a bass player and one a saxophonist.

Then again, who knows...

I would like to see them focus more on the 80s and later repertoire and/or new material, and would go to see them again if they the hit UK if that was the case. Well, I'd probably go anyway.

Edited by Mascodagama - January 15 2017 at 06:06
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 11:22
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

with the same old material?

Exactly, how about a new studio album? 

I'm not at all a fan of bands touring without new material.  I like the old model of album-tour-album-tour-album-tour - live album while they take a break, then repeat starting with another new album.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 17:44
teaser from the 2015 tours....

Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 07:47
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

I'm not at all a fan of bands touring without new material.  I like the old model of album-tour-album-tour-album-tour - live album while they take a break, then repeat starting with another new album.

I'm of the opposite mind - I'm simply happy that King Crimson are still active and touring.   I'm sure the set list isn't going to be completely identical to the 2014/2015 tours, plus the addition of extra players suggests we may get to see more improv pieces at these upcoming shows.

Even if the set list were to be 100% the same - so what?  It's King Crimson.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 09:42
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

In this case ... this is no different than going to see a classical concert and a big name conductor is doing Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring", or Beethoven's 5th, or Mahler's 3rd. However, we could say, that here this is Stravinsky conducting Stravinsky.

Don't pass up, this once in a lifetime thing. It is a very special show, and totally amazing, if you have the guts to shut your eyes, and just fly with the music. 

It's impressive. And something that you will remember for the rest of your life, unlike most of the silly rock shows. 

This whole thing, makes it hard to go backwards and listen to pop music again ... and this is the part that I think many folks are reacting to, maybe?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 18:55
According to dgmlive.com, KC has just announced the first show of their upcoming US Tour:

King Crimson have confirmed they will be appearing at the Rochester Jazz Festival on Friday June 30th. Tickets for this show go on sale on Friday 20th January. This is the first date to be announced in a schedule that will see the Double Quartet on active service from June 13th to July 15th. Further dates for the full tour will be announced in the coming weeks.

Robert's diary entries suggest there existing repertoire will at a minimum be reworked and could include additional items:

Existing repertoire will be re-calibrated for the about-to-be-becoming King Crimson Double Quartet Formation. King Crimson is the first group of which Jeremy has been a full-member. Jeremy became a full-contributor to the Seven-Headed Beast during the 2017 EuroTour, a remarkable achievement for Jezza to adopt the entire repertoire on both drums and keyboards. Bill is presently returning from his Sabbatical, and now The Beast has Eight Heads.

Jeremy and Bill are both multi-instrumental, so King Crimson is likely to be making a lot more noise than before.

I for one could care less about new repertoire being added - although it would be nice. Even if material that has previously been played is included in the next tour, which undoubtedly will be, it will no doubt be reworked significantly to match the personnel included in this upcoming tour. I for one, look forward to comparing this incarnation to the previous.
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 04:24
Nice.....Rochester is barely an hour from where I live. I may get to see Crim 3-4 times this year based on their usual stops in my area.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>