Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson USA 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 10:43
Any chance of them revisiting dear old Blighty?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Crimsonsnowdog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 15:13
I drive up Monday  to Red Bank, NJ,  and saw the show. What an amazing show! The performances from all the band members were outstanding. They came on stage about 8:10, and ended the show about 11:15, with a 20 minute intermission. To my very pleasant surprise, they played Fracture halfway through the first set, followed by Epitaph. I considered myself lucky to have been there for those two songs in which they have rarely played in concert over the years. They also played Cirkus, Lizard- Battle of Glass Tears, Fallen Angel, Indiscipline, and Easy Money, which were all great. The drummers each performed drum solos, in the middle of 21st Century Schizoid Man. I thought this concert was even better than the last time I saw them in Philadelphia 3 years ago.
On the Jam Base web site, there are pictures from the concert, and one picture show the set list posted on a door. The song "Heroes" is listed during the encore, but wasn't played. It was pretty late, so I guess they decided to scrap that song. Not really disappointed. I would definitely recommend you see them if you get the chance.
I see they're coming to Washington and Philadelphia in the fall. I'd love to see them again, but not sure I'll be able to.  Let see if they break out with more songs they haven't played in years like Great Deceiver, Lament, Devil's Triangle, or Cat Food.

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 00:32
Their "Heroes" is quite fun, but I definitely would have given it up quite willingly to have heard Fracture!  Ah well.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 09:59
^ Absolutely. I was beyond grateful they didn't play Heroes at all. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Disconnect View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 19:16
Will be at both Albany shows....and will be greatly pleased with whatever setlist presents itself....
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 17:30
I saw the Seattle show last month - really a great performance, but I thought the 2014 show/tour was slightly better.  Still, a great night.  I do kinda wish they had done something from the '80's albums ('Three' was my introduction to the band, so I have a soft spot in my heart for that stuff), but that's ok.
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 17:25
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but the set lists that I've seen don't include anything from the Discipline era (except Indiscipline) or the double trio era.  I'm certainly happy with what I'm getting (I have a ticket for the Beacon Nov. 18th) but it seems odd since they're covering the rest of the band's history.  Maybe Robert doesn't want Adrian to earn any royalties?  Opinions?
danonearth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 18:13
Hi, I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this, but I am trying to find which version of "Frame-by-Frame' this video is using? I am particularly interested in the bass playing on this version (I play bass :) Thanks!

https://youtu.be/xVuhXKFdqcw
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 18:21
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but the set lists that I've seen don't include anything from the Discipline era (except Indiscipline) or the double trio era.  I'm certainly happy with what I'm getting (I have a ticket for the Beacon Nov. 18th) but it seems odd since they're covering the rest of the band's history.  Maybe Robert doesn't want Adrian to earn any royalties?  Opinions?

I presume it's partly because that stuff has been played often in recent history, at least more so than things like Epitath and ITCOTCK. This feels much more like a 'history of KC' tour phase (even if things like Level Five and TCOL have survived...they are certainly outnumbered by older material). Also, personally, I think part of it would be that Jakko's voice is more suited to the older material. His interpretation of Indiscipline was pretty funny (and incredibly Jakko) but a fair departure from Belewness.

Also, they did play Neurotica on this recent jaunt.  

That said, probably best not to try and guess Fripp's logic. :p
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2017 at 19:21
Looks like Fripp and Belew are having a bit of a tiff about Crimson playing Indiscipline with vocals. Belew thought they had an agreement to only play his stuff as instrumentals. Bit of dirty laundry being aired on the acrimony surrounding his departure. Apparently he wanted everyone in the band except him and Fripp to be treated as hired sidemen rather than equal split 8 ways.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2017 at 20:46
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Looks like Fripp and Belew are having a bit of a tiff about Crimson playing Indiscipline with vocals. Belew thought they had an agreement to only play his stuff as instrumentals. Bit of dirty laundry being aired on the acrimony surrounding his departure. Apparently he wanted everyone in the band except him and Fripp to be treated as hired sidemen rather than equal split 8 ways.

Yeah, it was a bit shocking to hear Discipline-era music live (Chicago, 28 June 2017) considering the acrimony of Adrian being "fired" by Fripp!  

They performed it well, but nobody could replace Adrian's fiery performance on that one.  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 15:46
Going to the Boston date in November! Four drummers bring it on!!!
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 02:47
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Going to the Boston date in November! Four drummers bring it on!!!

From what I hear, it's three drummers and a fourth who keyboards and mellotrons: Bill Rieflin will also "fairy - dust".

On an associated note, I have never seen this band in person.

This past day somehow a ticket virtually fell from the sky and into my lap. Found myself unable to speak almost, and mumbling something about "bucket list".

Anyone who knows me will tell you how seldom speechless occurs to me. And how delighted the prospect of going to a King Crimson performance will make me.

Edited by Frankh - October 07 2017 at 02:48
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2017 at 18:05
Will be at the opening shows in Austin and Dallas....anyone else on PA going to be at either show?  If so, a pint is in order!

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2017 at 10:35
[QUOTE=Intruder]Will be at the opening shows in Austin and Dallas....anyone else on PA going to be at either show?  If so, a pint is in order!

My wife and I will be attending the Dallas show.  How did you enjoy last night's show?
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 20:54
When I saw them in Minneapolis in July Reiflin played keyboards exclusively, up on the second stage tier between Jakko and Tony. As a drummer he was interesting to watch, but as a keyboardist he was stonefaced and stiff. I found myself watching him just to see if he would change his expression. Not complaining though, the Trons sounded great. Pat was a blast to watch, Gavin was a technical master but didn't seem to exude as much personality as Pat. You can't watch Jeremy without thinking Bonzo. It's the interplay of the 3 drummers that matters though. The way they passed the focus from left to right and back again was pretty cool.

The only negative things I can remember are Cirkus and Pictures of a City. They just didn't come across very well live. And they didn't do LTIA PT 2 or Talking Drum.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2017 at 07:09
Just saw King Crimson for the first time ever about 12 hours ago in Raleigh, NC......Damn, just damn!

I am speechless, such precision and power by master musicians.  I have not had time to absorb this yet...have not been to a concert in quite a long time, but could not pass this up.  Not a native of these parts, but it seems KC has not been here since 1972.  I hope to put up the set list later after I find my brain...

They are headed up to DC next for 2 shows and the rest of the tour....just go see this.

Damn....just damn
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2017 at 12:58
^ Nice to read! All the reviews coming in have been glowing thus far so the anticipation for me is growing out of control. 
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2017 at 19:44
^ I was full of anticipation for about 2 days prior and know how you feel. 

I bought tickets for my step-son (40 something) for his birthday back when tickets went on sale and informed him that is how it should be done.  He was a little familiar with KC, but not a great deal.  He was floored and said it was the best concert and musicians he has ever scene.  

Anyway, now that I have found half of my brain since last night, here is the set list based on Setlist.fm since I don't trust my memory and am not familiar with some of the songs on the 2nd set.

Set 1
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One
Pictures of a City
Cirkus
Neurotica
Epitaph
Fallen Angel
Drumson Outbreak of Wonderment, Joy & Bliss Arising
The Letters
Breathless 
Islands
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two

Set 2
Indiscipline
The ConstruKction of Light (part 1 only)
Moonchild
T Levin Cadenza (Tony Levin's double-bass solo)
Jezza Cadenza  (Jeremy Stacey's piano solo)
The Court of the Crimson King
Hell Hounds of Krim (drumson?)
Easy Money
Lizard (The Battle of Glass… more )
Meltdown
Radical Action II
Level Five
Starless

Encore:
21st Century Schizoid Man (Includes Gavin Harrison's Drum solo)
Note: first King Crimson show in Raleigh since 29 March 1972 at Dorton Arena

I was very pleased to hear stuff from Lizard as I love that album, also being my first show of them was elated to hear Epitaph and ITCOTKC (and of course Schizoid).  The whole show is a highlight and a memory forever.  The highest of highs, (besides Larks part 1 and 2 opening and closing set 1) was Level 5 into Starless at the end of set 2.

The 3 drummers up front is an awesome approach, it gives the feeling of so much power.  Loved their Drumson interactions. Jeremy Stacey did double duty on keyboards about 1/3rd of the time (rough estimate) and had a beautiful piano solo.  They are a 3 headed beast (loved Gavin's solo on Schizoid)!

I cannot do justice or begin in describing the rest of the band's performance, just blown away.  I'm not worthy....Damn, just damn!

Thanks Fripp for keeping it alive, and growing!

PS-If you buy T-shirts, CDs, etc... you get a free CD by the Stick Men (Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, and Markus Reuter)
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2017 at 23:34
Just saw King Crimson. Absolutely amazing performance!!!Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>