Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson USA 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2017 at 04:45
Fully agree , Boston performance was superb, sound pristine, set list excellent.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2017 at 07:17
I took someone to the Boston show who had never heard a single note of Crimson prior - they were blown away

I loved the show, so grateful every time i see KC

I was uncertain on Jakko's attempts at Belew-era vocals, but appreciate that he tried to create new modes of being for those songs, thats a big risk to take as an artist and performer.  
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2017 at 14:45
^ Same with my step-son who knew just a little of their material.  He was Blown away by the show in Raleigh.

They should (hopefully) put out DVD and CD of the North American 2017 tour...can't wait!  I believe there is a live digital version on Crimson's website of the Chicago show.
Crimsonsnowdog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2017 at 14:56
I saw the Washington DC show bank on October 29. It was a great performance as I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I won 4 tickets from the local radio station which was a nice bonus. I took my friend, my wife, who just wanted to be with me, and believe it or not my 11 year old daughter.

Besides me , my daughter was actually the one who enjoyed the concert the most. She heard me playing 21st Century Schizoid Man, while we were in the car, during the summer, and said, "That's a really good song". I told her who it was, and played more of King Crimson's music for her. She mostly likes the songs with lyrics. While she does like some of today's pop music, she also likes some of the bands I listen to such as Rush, Caravan, Camel and Gentle Giant.  She said she loved the concert and was totally blown away. Possibly the youngest girl even to attend a King Crimson concert.

My wife said she like Islands, but the rest of the music was too loud for her to enjoy. My friend who went to see Yes, and Rush with me,  surprisingly said he was not that fond of the concert. He had only heard of 21st Century Schizoid Man before the concert, and lately has been going to metal concerts where the fans jump around in mash pits.

I enjoyed hearing The Court of the Crimson, Moonchild, Discipline for the first time in concert. I also liked Breathless, which I've never heard before.  I liked the new material from Radical action, but not as much as the early King Crimson music. I am curious to hear how other King Crimson fans feel about the new songs, Radical Action, Radical Action II, and Meltdown.

I was looking at the set list from last night's show in Albany, on the FM web site, and Set 2 looks absolutely amazing:

Indiscipline
Cirkus
Lizard
Fallen Angel
Epitapth
LTIA part 1
LTIA part 2
Starless
21st Century Schizoid Man
Encore:
Easy Money
Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2017 at 08:14
Re: Meltdown - my brain kept screaming at me that it was a reworking of 'frame by frame' I need to listen to them closely in tandem.  i wondered if it was a way to take some of the genius of frame by frame and recast it so that it worked for jakko, and was not an 'adrian song'
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 12:13
The sound at the Beacon Theater (at least in the lower balcony) was perfectly dreadful. 

The drummers (it would really help if you put bottom heads on your over-used toms, guys) often drowned out everyone else. 

Mel Collins was usually audible, but when he was playing while Jakko sang, he drowned out Jakko's vocal. 

I never heard Jakko's guitar playing except during Cirkus. 

Levin was audible only during the early, soft parts of Indiscipline and in the opening of Starless.  Also, his solo on the upright during Meltdown (I assume, since I heard no lyrics) was audible and terrific. 

Fripp was always audible, both on guitar and when his synth was set to faux-mellotron, and that was all great. 

Keyboard guy in the upper middle (name?) was only audible on piano at the beginning of Cirkus and when his synth (I think it was his, it was hard to tell, but it wasn't Fripp's since he was playing guitar) was set to faux-mellotron. 

I would assume that The Beacon (opened in 1929) is one of the oldest venues played on this tour, and I think the physical acoustics of the hall might have limited even the best sound engineers.  I could hear them course-correcting during the first 20 minutes or so and things did improve a bit.  But this was their 2nd night at the Beacon, so where was THAT at?  Quite possibly, the sound was better downstairs. 

What I did hear was fantastic save for the drummers who, while undoubtedly very talented, seemed to be in a contest to outdo each other and who rarely played with the subtlety this material often requires.  I hadn't expected Bruford, but comparisons were inevitable.

Sorry, folks.  I wish I could report the same enthusiasm that the rest of you have.  I certainly went in really, really psyched and expecting to have my brain melted.  If they tour again, hopefully with Adrian, I'll be a lot more careful about where I choose to see them.  A close friend saw them in a much newer hall in Dallas, and reported none of the sound mix issues (although he agreed that the drummers could have been more subtle - when I talked with him this morning, he compared them to 3 John Bonhams - great if you're listening to Zep circa 1975, but we weren't).
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 22:34
Another fantastic show from the almighty Krim Saturday night. This band can really blow up a cacophony. Larks 2, Pictures..., Radical 1, and Neurotica really burned bright. I hope they return someday. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345