Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Vangelis era do you prefer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which Vangelis era do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [79.07%]
3 [6.98%]
5 [11.63%]
1 [2.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Vangelis era do you prefer?
    Posted: January 08 2017 at 11:56
Which Vangelis era do you prefer?

1970s: Albedo 0.39, L'Apocalypse des Animaux, Beaubourg, China, Earth, La Fête Sauvage, Heaven and Hell, Ignacio, Magic (with Demis Roussos), Odes (with Irene Papas), Opera Sauvage, Spiral, 666 (Aphrodite's Child)

1980s: Antarctica, Blade Runner [unreleased soundtrack], The Bounty [unreleased soundtrack], Chariots of Fire, Direct, Dragon, The Friends of Mr Cairo (Jon & Vangelis), Hypothesis, Invisible Connections, Mask, Missing [unreleased soundtrack], Private Collection (Jon & Vangelis)Rapsodies (with Irene Papas), See You Later, Short Stories (Jon & Vangelis), Soil Festivities

1990s: 1492: Conquest of Paradise, Bitter Moon [unreleased soundtrack], Blade Runner, The City, El GrecoOceanic, Voices

2000s: Alexander, Mythodea, Rosetta

Edited by jude111 - January 09 2017 at 18:35
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 12:03
The 1970s are probably his most critically lauded (especially by prog fans); the 1980s were his most prolific and commercially successful (probably); yet, while is output in the 1990s slowed considerably, I find myself lately drawn most to the material he produced during this period.

Edited by jude111 - January 09 2017 at 10:37
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zravkapt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 12:23
C'MON!!! 

Apart from that "Chariots Of Fire" song, I'm not much into his post-'70s stuff.

Edited by zravkapt - January 08 2017 at 12:24
Magma America Great Make Again
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 12:38
70s all the way! But mostly for two releases that aren't mentioned in the OP: Dragon and Hypothesis - the former being my absolute favourite Vangelis release. Sorta like Vangelis doing mushrooms in an Indian bazar whilst theowing these fat unhinged organ riffs out in the perimetre. The Greek keyboard wizard's Krautrock album, I kid you not.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 12:59
'70's closely followed by '90's.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 13:29
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

70s all the way! But mostly for two releases that aren't mentioned in the OP: Dragon and Hypothesis - the former being my absolute favourite Vangelis release. Sorta like Vangelis doing mushrooms in an Indian bazar whilst theowing these fat unhinged organ riffs out in the perimetre. The Greek keyboard wizard's Krautrock album, I kid you not.

Cool, I added those 2 to the list:)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 13:33
Thanks man:)
I know they weren't supposed to see the light of day - basically high quality demo tapes - but I am so thrilled some guy at the studio dug them out of obscurity...during the same decade no less. Usually takes ages before those types of deals materialise.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 13:40
90s, 70s, 80s, 00s, in that order.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 14:19

Indeed - not even the 'B-side' tracks being entitled Stuffed Aubergine and Stuffed Tomato can detract from its brilliance.

Hypothesis shouldn't be sneezed at either - very much the Free Jazz Odyssey of his oeuvre. Though I doubt he ever tried to play it for a festival crowd. It stands alongside the magnificent s/t album from Axis when it comes to truly far out Greek albums of the period, IMO.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 14:23
Good call! I haven't spun that Axis album since the cold war. Methinks a revisit is in order. Funny how small things like a mere post over PA sparks interest in long forgotten records.

Stuffed Aubergine is brilliant. The dish is also tops but not nearly as rhythmically enhanced.

- Douglas Adams
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 14:27
Socrates drank the Conium - Phos
and
Aphrodite's Child - 666

for me, not to wild about the others..
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 14:48
Close call for me between the 70s and 90s, but will go with 70s mostly for China and Heaven and Hell, plus Albedo 0.39 and Spiral were my first intro to him.  There are others that I have not heard that have peaked my interest to try from then also.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 16:24
My fav album of his is Albedo ----but also loved Heaven and Hell and See you Later which I thought was so cool as an arty college student----and like some of his stuff with Jon (Jon really blew that friendship---they were good together) so I voted 70's.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 22:17
1970s.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 09:56
Really now...

the 70s.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 13:11
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Except that you didn't. Those are my two favorites as well. And actually Sex Power as a third fave just to be difficult

Thanks man:)
I know they weren't supposed to see the light of day - basically high quality demo tapes - but I am so thrilled some guy at the studio dug them out of obscurity...during the same decade no less. Usually takes ages before those types of deals materialise.
Really? Got both on vinyl and never really thought there was a demo-tape quality to them. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 13:20
I did word that rather poorly, but what I meant to say was that Vangelis himself never meant for any of those recordings to be released. Someone at the studio obviously thought otherwise.
High quality demo should be: delicious studio jam

- Douglas Adams
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 15:31
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Except that you didn't.

Except that I did. Everything's in alphabetical order.

Edited by jude111 - January 09 2017 at 15:32
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 15:55
70s.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 16:19
Okay, I did vote '70s, because these albums are simply amazing, and there's nothing else like them out there...

1970s: Albedo 0.39, L'Apocalypse des Animaux, Beaubourg, China, Earth, La Fête Sauvage, Heaven and Hell, Magic (with Demis Roussos), Odes (with Irene Papas), Opera Sauvage, Spiral, 666 (Aphrodite's Child)

...but I love these albums just as much!

1980s: Antarctica, Blade Runner [unreleased soundtrack], The Bounty [unreleased soundtrack], Chariots of Fire, Direct, DragonThe Friends of Mr Cairo (Jon & Vangelis), HypothesisInvisible Connections, Mask, Missing [unreleased soundtrack], Private Collection (Jon & Vangelis)Rapsodies (with Irene Papas), See You Later, Short Stories (Jon & Vangelis), Soil Festivities

^Soil Festivities is sorely underrated!! 

Btw, Hypothesis and The Dragon were both originally released (unauthorized) in 1978 (but composed/recorded in 1970-71).

And Vangelis' new album Rosetta is OUTSTANDING! A real return to form!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>