35 [32.41%]
1 [0.93%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 11:51
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Yes is my #4 artist.  That hasn't changed for decades, and I doubt it would ever change.  Crimson is top 10ish, for me--#7 or 8 usually.  (Only my top six have had their positions cemented for decades.)  Gentle Giant might be in my top 100, although I'm not sure exactly where they'd end up.  If not in my top 100, they should at least be in my top 200.  I love a ton of music that's not prog, so a lot of other artists get in the way.  However, there are also a lot of other prog and prog-related artists that I'd rank above Gentle Giant.

Keep in mind that I'd say I have a "top 2000" at least, so anyone in my top 100-200 is someone I really love.

How can there be 100 bands from the 70s better than GG? There's definitely no better post 70s bands
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 12:58
KC
GG
Yes
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 13:42
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

KC
GG
Yes

same here
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 14:42
All
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 14:49
Gentle Giant is one of those bands I never understood from the old days at college ....many of us bought them but few of us played them on any regular basis. Very good musicians but song structures that were a bit too unusual at times to be fully enjoyed.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 15:53
KC.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 16:27
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Yes is my #4 artist.  That hasn't changed for decades, and I doubt it would ever change.  Crimson is top 10ish, for me--#7 or 8 usually.  (Only my top six have had their positions cemented for decades.)  Gentle Giant might be in my top 100, although I'm not sure exactly where they'd end up.  If not in my top 100, they should at least be in my top 200.  I love a ton of music that's not prog, so a lot of other artists get in the way.  However, there are also a lot of other prog and prog-related artists that I'd rank above Gentle Giant.

Keep in mind that I'd say I have a "top 2000" at least, so anyone in my top 100-200 is someone I really love.

How can there be 100 bands from the 70s better than GG? There's definitely no better post 70s bands

Most of the artists I'd put in front of them are 70s or earlier, but here are some post-70s (well, and started-in-the-late-70s) artists I'd rank higher than Gentle Giant: (hed) pe, A Camp, Adrian Belew, Beastie Boys, kd lang, King's X, Michael Brecker, The Police, Prince, Soundgarden--obviously that's not just prog, but again, I like a huge variety of music.  I'm not just a prog fan.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 18:30
Interesting. One-on-one Yes would probably beat KC, but Gentle Giant may steal them more votes than from the Crimsons, so the Crimsons are in the lead, I guess.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 20:05

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Most of the artists I'd put in front of them are 70s or earlier, but here are some post-70s (well, and started-in-the-late-70s) artists I'd rank higher than Gentle Giant: (hed) pe, A Camp, Adrian Belew, Beastie Boys, kd lang, King's X, Michael Brecker, The Police, Prince, Soundgarden--obviously that's not just prog, but again, I like a huge variety of music.  I'm not just a prog fan.
Prince, Beastie boys, Kd Lang? DeadDead
Bloody Awful lol
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 20:26
Yes, but at this moment, I would be more excited if I were to see King Crimson live than Yes live... unless Anderson and Wakeman came back to Yes for a tour, then I wouldn't know which one I would be more excited to see.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2017 at 22:09
Prefer the highs of Yes over the other two bands, but prefer KC for the integrity of their music and for their overall career. GG were a little too uncompromising for my tastes after their first album and then a little too compromising in their latter works.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 02:59
Yes started to go over the top in 73 and 74. Their peak was 71-72
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 06:08
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Yes, but at this moment, I would be more excited if I were to see King Crimson live than Yes live... unless Anderson and Wakeman came back to Yes for a tour, then I wouldn't know which one I would be more excited to see.

Yeah, for me, it's basically a matter of who'd be touring.  Yes has a challenge, because Yes without Chris Squire strikes me as more or less King Crimson without Robert Fripp.

With Yes, though, I'd most want to see Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, Bill Bruford and Billy Sherwood.  Patrick Moraz would be cool to see with the band again, too.  Of course, I like Tony Kaye and Alan White, but I wouldn't be near as geared up to see Yes with them again as with Wakeman and/or Moraz and Bruford.

With King Crimson, I'd most want to see some combo of the 80s line-up--Fripp, Bruford, Adrian Belew and Tony Levin, and/or John Wetton, David Cross, Jamie Muir and Mel Collins.
Khalie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 06:11

I saw Yes (with Anderson and Wakeman) and King Crimson during the same week in 2003. King Crimson ended in my top concert and Yes was just something I had to see at least once. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 21:19

Yeah, for me, it's basically a matter of who'd be touring.  Yes has a challenge, because Yes without Chris Squire strikes me as more or less King Crimson without Robert Fripp.

With Yes, though, I'd most want to see Jon Anderson, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, Bill Bruford and Billy Sherwood.  Patrick Moraz would be cool to see with the band again, too.  Of course, I like Tony Kaye and Alan White, but I wouldn't be near as geared up to see Yes with them again as with Wakeman and/or Moraz and Bruford.

With King Crimson, I'd most want to see some combo of the 80s line-up--Fripp, Bruford, Adrian Belew and Tony Levin, and/or John Wetton, David Cross, Jamie Muir and Mel Collins.

I guess there's a small chance for Yes to do something with Anderson and Wakeman again... specially now that the Hall of Fame may bring them together... but Bruford, just take that one out of your mind, it won't happen. As for King Crimson, they will keep on touring with the band Fripp assembled for the last few years, and I think that one is great (as long as they don't sing "Epitaph", which the new singer just can't nail... as much as I would actually love to hear that song live).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 21:23
Originally posted by Khalie Khalie wrote:

I saw Yes (with Anderson and Wakeman) and King Crimson during the same week in 2003. King Crimson ended in my top concert and Yes was just something I had to see at least once. 

I envy you... I discovered Yes just while they were touring with Anderson and Wakeman for the last time, so I wasn't on time to see them (I saw them with Benoit David and Jon Davidson, but they just couldn't do complete justice to Anderson's singing). King Crimson I found a bit later and haven't toured until now, but I think I find the new touring line-up more interesting than the one that was out in '03.
Khalie View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 06:12

I envy you... I discovered Yes just while they were touring with Anderson and Wakeman for the last time, so I wasn't on time to see them (I saw them with Benoit David and Jon Davidson, but they just couldn't do complete justice to Anderson's singing). King Crimson I found a bit later and haven't toured until now, but I think I find the new touring line-up more interesting than the one that was out in '03.

In 2003, Fripp wanted to play only the newer stuff. King Crimson sounded very avant-garde, that was very interesting and impressive. I saw them a month ago and they still surprisingly sounded avant-garde with the older music. 
Yes on the other, was very enjoyable but they were stuck in the past. 

I don't know enought about Gentle Giant so if I were able to vote on this poll, I'd vote for King Crimson, easy. Both the concerts of 2003 and 2016 are in my top ten of concerts (and I have seen a lot). 
Fluctuat nec mergitur.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 21:10
Originally posted by Khalie Khalie wrote:

In 2003, Fripp wanted to play only the newer stuff. King Crimson sounded very avant-garde, that was very interesting and impressive. I saw them a month ago and they still surprisingly sounded avant-garde with the older music. 
Yes on the other, was very enjoyable but they were stuck in the past. 

I don't know enought about Gentle Giant so if I were able to vote on this poll, I'd vote for King Crimson, easy. Both the concerts of 2003 and 2016 are in my top ten of concerts (and I have seen a lot). 

Actually, I wouldn't really care so much if an artist sounds avant garde, modern, or stuck in the past... what I care more is if I like the music and if it's well performed. If I see Yes again I will want to hear my beloved classics.
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 08:49
Yes!
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 10:46
What I find fascinating is that all 3 belong to a very special category: bands so distinct, unique & BRILLIANT that you simply can't substitute them with any other artist. 
I suppose no band will ever sound as fresh, cohesive and celestial as Yes. And no one could ever evoke renaissance atmosphere with rock instrumentarium and complexity as well as Gentle Giant. And probably no one will ever be as versatile and capable of giving me both intellectual and emotional pleasure as old King Crimson.

If I had to rank them somehow, it'd be in this order:
1) King Crimson
2) Yes
3) Gentle Giant
but margins are slim, we're talking about best of the best after all!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>