Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
64 [58.72%]
45 [41.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 16:38
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Genesis, any day of any year (past, present and future).

truth.....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 18:01
Genesis!
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 02:30
The guys who wrote and played Los Endos.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 03:21
I am not at all surprised that Genesis are winning this poll. they are an easy listening band compared to Van der Graaf Generator

Edited by BaldJean - January 12 2017 at 03:22

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 14:07
I voted for Genesis. I like VdGG, but I always found their compositions too sparse, not enough little tidbits, layered textures, flourishes, and melodical twists and turns to make things interesting. I like their groove and the long drones they come up with, but not usually for the whole duration they hold them. I do think playing two saxes at one time was extra special, but as an amateur guitar player and avid fan of guitar work in general, it feels like there was a gaping hole in the music that a guitarist could have filled.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 14:31
I think that pairing Van der Graaf Generator with Genesis and results of this poll - less than 60:40 lead for the latter - proves how wildly underrated and special VdGG really is. 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 12:03
love both but for the whole body of albums it has to be Van Der Graaf Generator by a noseLOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 13:21
Genesis, I love the Peter Gabriel era
I only like VDGG.
I need harmony to fully appreciate prog
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 13:47
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I voted for Genesis. I like VdGG, but I always found their compositions too sparse, not enough little tidbits, layered textures, flourishes, and melodical twists and turns to make things interesting. I like their groove and the long drones they come up with, but not usually for the whole duration they hold them. I do think playing two saxes at one time was extra special, but as an amateur guitar player and avid fan of guitar work in general, it feels like there was a gaping hole in the music that a guitarist could have filled.

then you have not really listened. for example: a specialty of VdGG is to take two riffs that appear in a song, usually a slow one and a fast one, and at one time play both riffs at the same time

Edited by BaldJean - January 25 2017 at 16:32

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 13:51
Apples or oranges.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 16:17
GENESIS
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 16:32
Graaf

All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 17:14
I voted for VDGG. I don't necessarily like them better I was just trying to level the playing field because I know many people who don't even know VDGG will vote for Genesis. This is like a big dog picking a fight with a puppy. 
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 17:35
Genesis
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2017 at 14:25
Hell, it's too close to call, Pick it.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
perrinsolo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote perrinsolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 13:33
Van der Graaf, I think.
These two are possible my least favourite progressive bands... Genesis are melodic, but a bit too bland and somehow not memorable enough.

Edited by perrinsolo - October 05 2017 at 23:16
bucka001 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bucka001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 09:18
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I thought same why are (  ) being used??

The ( ) are used sometimes when writers refer to the discography of VdG(G). The reason is because the band's last two 70s albums before they broke up were just credited to Van der Graaf (they shortened the name by dropping the 'Generator' after David Jackson and Hugh Banton left). 

Edited by bucka001 - October 06 2017 at 09:20
jc
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 10:12
I'm not going to choose one over there other (though I do have a preference). I would say though that Genesis is good at presenting the bright and harmonious side of life, and VDGG is good at presenting the darker and more striking side of life. There's a place for both, and both should be appreciated for their unique and original approaches. 

I still don't get this spirit of judging and rating among the prog. crowd. Seems like the uglier side of western "civilization" and trying to pick the "king" and the winner, and move folks up or down some kind of imaginary ladder. Prog doesn't need hierarchies and judging and criteria for value.

Edited by Boojieboy - October 06 2017 at 10:13
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 10:27
VDGG for me.  I love Genesis from Trespass through W&W, but then began the decline to embarrassment whereas VDGG never tarnished their legacy...and with "Do Not Disturb" even continue to release great albums Thumbs Up
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 11:43
Yes, but one band sells maybe 40,000 copies of their later albums while the other 4 million. Lol. Not tarnishing your legacy won't result in a big house with a big mansion and lots of long legged groupies(or short legged ones). Although I'm sure VDGG don't care much about that at this point. :P
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>