Poll Question: Who is greater?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
64 [58.72%]
45 [41.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 11:54
Keeping the legacy intact makes it easy to say "I'm a fan of VDGG", where if I say "I'm a fan of Genesis" I feel the need to quickly add..."70's Genesis".

Besides, I have a feeling the groupie days ended for Hammill, Banton & Evans long ago, though Phil is probably still trying to pull LOL
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 12:04
^ both bands did their best work in the 70s.
I actually only like 70s VDGG, I tried a couple of albums since they reunited, wasn't that impressed.

don't know what to choose... :(
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 12:56
I love both the 70s and the 21st century VdGG. The second disc of "Present" is sadly extremely underrated, and "Do Not Disturb" is one of their very best albums.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 13:46
I think the post 2000 albums stand up strong compared to their 70's output, though anyone looking to explore them should know they far more resemble the harder edge Godbluff/Still Life/World Record style rather than the Aerosol/Least/H to He/Pawn Hearts feel.

I rank them...

1) Trisector
2) A Grounding in Numbers - Do Not Disturb (tie)
3) Present (though "Every Bloody Emperor" is fantastic and rather timely just about now)
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 14:52
GENESIS FOR SURE!!!
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 18:58
Genesis.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 12:47
Genesis.
VDGG is very good, though. 
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 14:22
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

I still don't get this spirit of judging and rating among the prog. crowd. Seems like the uglier side of western "civilization" and trying to pick the "king" and the winner, and move folks up or down some kind of imaginary ladder. Prog doesn't need hierarchies and judging and criteria for value.
The nice thing about art is that you pick a favorite if you have one - but not "a winner". I would personally pick Schubert over Schumann, Steve Reich over Philip Glass, any jazz-pianist over Keith Jarrett, Carravaggio over Rubens, Bergman over Fellini... what's the harm in that? Really. Sometimes you know you prefer one artist over another, sometimes you don't.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 20:27
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

I still don't get this spirit of judging and rating among the prog. crowd. Seems like the uglier side of western "civilization" and trying to pick the "king" and the winner, and move folks up or down some kind of imaginary ladder. Prog doesn't need hierarchies and judging and criteria for value.

The nice thing about art is that you pick a favorite if you have one - but not "a winner". I would personally pick Schubert over Schumann, Steve Reich over Philip Glass, any jazz-pianist over Keith Jarrett, Carravaggio over Rubens, Bergman over Fellini... what's the harm in that? Really. Sometimes you know you prefer one artist over another, sometimes you don't.

I understand that's the point of a forum, and even more so the polls section (or lists section), so if you don't like such discussions, you would need to be more selective on the topics you search within the forum (and perhaps just stay out of the polls section).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2017 at 14:08
Genesis.....especially the Gabriel years. I like VDGG music but never really warmed up to the way Hammill sang.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2018 at 12:55
Genesis

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 12:12
VDGG
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 12:54
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

The second disc of "Present" is sadly extremely underrated
I actually prefer this to the first disc.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 12:56
To be honest, I've always thought Genesis was a poor man's Van der Graaf Generator.
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 12:58
Genesis....unsurprisingly.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlkpad14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 13:12
VDGG, but this is an awesome poll. I really had to think about it.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 21:13
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

To be honest, I've always thought Genesis was a poor man's Van der Graaf Generator.

I guess most people would think it the other way around. However, musically, I don't see so much similarity (except that hey both play prog)... I guess VdGG is more similar to King Crimson. But in the theatrical vocals part, yeah, I guess they are similar. Most people will love Peter Gabriel more, but for me indeed Peter Hamill does it much better... I just mostly don't like Gabriel's singing. And I think Hamill's lyrics are better too.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 21:35
Genesis is winning....as it should be....I mean even the Mick thinks VDGG sucks.  ;)
When friends come over I like to put VDGG on and they usually go...'WTF' is that.?
I tell them...have another beer...it will grow on you.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2018 at 23:04
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Have to say this is very ridicilous claim. Not ever also will say Van Der Graaf poor men´s Genesis. They´re just so different. But anyway I really like Van Der Graaf, but it´s not even the near of the greatness of Genesis.
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles_ryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2018 at 03:00
VDGG is the solo project of Peter Hammill imho. I like it, but the band (like Genesis) is something more than one man and some good musicians (like VDGG).
om mani padme hum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>