FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedClassical Music Corner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classical Music Corner
    Posted: January 10 2017 at 17:06
I've seen classical music mentioned a few times here, so I know there are fans.
I thought'd it be a good idea to make an area for discussion, especially about XX century and 21st century music.
The old classics are still welcome but not so much a focus (they're already talked about too much in other places) 

To start off, who are some of your favorite composers? 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 12:27
These are my personal favorites:

Antonio Vivaldi
Arcangelo Correlli
George Gershwin
Sergei Prokofiev
Beethoven
Aaron Copland
Johann Sebastian Bach

I tend to like Baroque and the more accessible side of 20th century classical the most.

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2017 at 23:35
Shame that this thread hasn't been more active; I'd appreciate hearing some other forum members' tastes, thoughts, and recommendations. I haven't listened to much classical music in the past aside from the household names, and predominantly just Romantic stuff. However, I just found out that my local library has a ton of classical CDs that I can check out, so I've just recently been getting into a more diverse range of material.

First stop so far has been getting into the nooks and crannies of the output of my favourite composer: Sibelius. Love the guy; his early works paint bold brushstrokes of the untamed Finnish nature, and his treatments of the mythology in the Kalevala are simply awesome. I was just rocking out to Lemminkainen the other night, and have a 3 disc set of all seven of his symphonies queued up for the next few weeks. 

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 00:37
To use the classical music term loosely for more modern composers.

I love Xenakis, Penderecki, Ligeti, Stockhausen, Alfred Schnittke, Berio, Nono, Varese, Boulez, Messiaen. Film score composers such as Zbigniew Preisner, and you could include various Ennio Morricone (love Controfase). And I adore Egisto Macchi.

I also like various Arvo Part music.
theultimateprogressiveartexperimentalmusicresource.org: the ultimate progressive, art, experimental music resource dot org
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 01:08
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

To use the classical music term loosely for more modern composers.

I love Xenakis, Penderecki, Ligeti, Stockhausen, Alfred Schnittke, Berio, Nono, Varese, Boulez, Messiaen.

Shocked You're the greatest!!!! Hug

I love all of them, I'm surprised in a great way Clap

Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 01:11
These are some of my favorite composers (and then some!):

Xenakis 
Bartok 
Messiaen 
Webern 
Kagel 

Mahler 
Varese 
Ives

Scelsi 
Kate Soper 
Schoenberg 
Stockhausen 
Wagner 
Brahms 
Ligeti 
JS Bach
Gesualdo 
Palestrina
Stravinsky
Perotin 
Schnittke 
Korndorf 
Scriabin 
Sorabji 
Boulez 
Liszt
Nancarrow 
Zappa 
Zorn
Rautavaara 
Maja Osojnik 
Telemann 
Faure 
Haas 
Grisey 
(Lou) Harrison 
Murail 
Kurtág 
Riley 
Goldsmith 

Big smile

Edited by Thatfabulousalien - January 24 2017 at 01:16

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 03:16
Glass, Ives and Ligeti mainly, thou' I'm not adverse to any of the composers people have listed thus far - I'd probably add Delibes and Spor for no apparent reason other than I like what I've heard.

I'm off to see a screening of Godfrey Reggio's Visitors with Philip Glass score performed live by the BBC Symphony Orchestra on Sunday...

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 03:26
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Glass, Ives and Ligeti mainly, thou' I'm not adverse to any of the composers people have listed thus far - I'd probably add Delibes and Spor for no apparent reason other than I like what I've heard.

I'm off to see a screening of Godfrey Reggio's Visitors with Philip Glass score performed live by the BBC Symphony Orchestra on Sunday...

Ligeti and Ives are amazing, I've never full appreciated Glass though. I've enjoyed certain works like Symphony no 8 and Passages (with Ravi Shankar) but I find his (and Steve Reich's) concepts and techniques fascinating Smile

The movie looks interesting, let us know what it was like? 

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 03:55
Bah! Thread is 8 posts old with no mention of Ginastera? Mortifying!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 04:28
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Bah! Thread is 8 posts old with no mention of Ginastera? Mortifying!

Ginastera is really great, I like too many composers to remember to name them all LOL

Panambi
Estancia
Popol Vuh
Piano Concerto's 
Tres Piezas
Toccato, Villancico y Fuga
Sonata for guitar

Are some of my favorite of his work, to name a few Clap

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 04:38
I have quite a few composers I really like. Messiaen, Schoenberg, Stravinsky, Riley (yes, I consider him a classical composer), La Monte Young (yes, I consider him a classical composer), Penderecki, Bartok, Tchaikovsky, Moondog (yes, I consider him a classical composer), Hindemith, Stockhausen, Rimsky-Korsakov, Wagner - the music of all of these I really enjoy.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - January 24 2017 at 04:46
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Sgai Friend View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 22:29
Quote and have a 3 disc set of all seven of his symphonies queued up for the next few weeks

The classical music field is vast, especially if you include early composers like Palestrina (and not counting "classical" Carnatic music etc etc). So I'd recommend randomly sampling your local library. I think the key lies in playing the selection(s) over and over - as you imply in your mention of the coming weeks' playlist - until it either annoys you or ravishes you. Ideally, there is no middle ground.

I also think that Prog music should be of the same nature. When I hear "easy-listening" prog I feel very disappointed.

Edited by Sgai Friend - January 24 2017 at 22:34
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2017 at 02:55
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

The movie looks interesting, let us know what it was like? 

The film was overlong, while the soundtrack could have lasted another hour for me. Where I have found previous Reggio/Glass collaborations (Qatsi trillogy and Anima Mundi short film) to have been stunning and captivating this was visually rather dull and inconsequential, and more disconcertingly didn't seem to fit with the music in pace and energy. It was if Glass was trying his best to use the dynamics of the score whip-up drama in a film that had very little, which was an interesting juxtaposition to begin with but soon became distracting thereafter. As my wife remarked on the journey home "Good job the orchestra was there, it gave me something to look at". I too lost interest in the film and just watched the orchestra as they played.

The music however, made me very happy. While this is the third live performance of a Philip Glass piece I've attended (the others being '1000 Airplanes on the Roof' and 'The Perfect American', which are both theatre pieces), this is the first I've seen with a full orchestra and I loved every second. This was also the first time I'd heard the score - I've owned a copy of the soundtrack for almost a year now but deliberately chose not to play it until after I'd seen the film - so had no expectations or preconceptions. Being one of Glass's more recent compositions (2013) it's as lyrical and melodic as all of his later works have been and a far cry from the repetitive minimalism that made his name. As someone who 'constructs' music myself, watching how melodies and rhythmic patterns moved through the sections of the orchestra, ebbing and flowing, building tension and (as I said earlier) drama as it went, was fascinating - to physically 'see' a musical motif evolve and develop from violin to viola to cello to double bass then flit over to the woodwinds before being punctuated with almost percussive notes from the brass section that signalled a change of direction in tempo or melody.

...the harpists tune up while waiting for the rest of the orchestra to arrive...

The BBC Symphony Orchestra was conducted by Michael Riesman, the musical director of the film and of the Philip Glass Ensemble.
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply