Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJam sessions / online co-operation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jam sessions / online co-operation
    Posted: January 12 2017 at 03:50
Hi folks - quick question.

I'm sort of in the middle of nowhere, musically. Are any other people here having problems finding people to jam with, given the relative scarcity of prog rock musicians out there ?

I've had limited success with online co-operation with other musicians, as well. It occasionally works. ;-)

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 03:51
PS I bet someone says "Why not form a Prog Archives band and compose stuff over the internet ?"

Oh nooooooooooooooooooo. ;-)

Shiny globe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 08:32
Shy beginners or lesser experienced musicians are often great for finding new ideas because they tend to let you take the lead, and there's something fresh in their playing.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 11:21
I prefer doing jam sessions in a rehearsal studio, a garage or a room rather than doing that online: I find it easier to go to a place with your material (unless you're a drummer, a keyboard player or even a double-bass player) than to register to any online live service (and facing the hazards of disconnections, lags or any other problem of the same type).

About online co-operations, it can work... proven the other collaborators are not too occupied, lazy or uncompetent to send the files to each other. I've seen some musicians friends of mine waiting months for another musician to send their parts... on 1 track, while the band was working on a whole album...
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 12:30
I'm too shy to do jam sessions and can't actually play any instrument, but from my experience online cooperation seems to work well when they number of participants is limited to 2 (two).
Shiny globe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 05:40
Maybe the shy word has too many possible meanings. If Davesax plays a couple of notes like Charlie Parker before saying  "Let's have a jam together" it will feel intimidating to many. But if he tries several fun electronic sounds and asks to just hold a note for a second because he wants to try and see how it sounds like with another instrument (avoiding Charlie parker solos), very few will want to leave, at least within the next five minutes...
Growingart View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2017 at 13:07
It may be a profound challenge to find online (prog) musicians who actually contribute. It is a matter of chemistry and being persistent. I have found three now, still looking for more since I am involved in two projects. But with devoted people it is very creative. It took (me) three years to build such online collaboration (and learn - still do - about home recording - and how to finance that), but now we will start to release some stuff.
Progressiv rock | IN EXPERIENCE PROJECT
www.inexperienceproject.com
www.youtube.com/inexperienceproject
www.growingrecords.se
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 08:18
I improvise a lot, rarely playing the same thing twice. I'm actually pretty good, but, being the amateur I am, I only play by myself in my bedroom. I'm not used to playing with anyone else. I need to work on that, but I can't find anyone with talent who isn't too busy (yes, I do bathe regularly). I've actually thought of taking lessons, not because I need lessons, but so I'd have someone to jam with. As things are I do a lot with parallel lines extending out of spluffers, each with their own effects. That way I can have several parts coming out in real time. It takes a lot of fiddling to get a nice arrangement of devices that gives you an illusion of a band while preserving enough floor space to stand in. A common problem is losing signal from devices getting out of phase with each other. I have a handful of loopers, and they're nice to jam over, but it's a bitch getting them to start and stop at the right time. I have a few words for whoever thought of making them stop with a double tap! It's also hard to compose complicated arrangements with loopers due to the fixed length of the loops.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 03:20
Thanks, Shiny globe !!! ;-)

I always thought jam sessions get taken over by experienced musicians, and that becomes boring. What I like is long, extended jams in one key, say, G. Having, er, a few electronic bits with several sequencers, I'd prefer to just get a few sequences going, fading in and out, and let everyone improvise over the top as they see fit.

Matter of fact, I'd do exactly that for a live gig. ;-)

Growingart View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2017 at 05:07
As encouragement for online collaboration, I can now share my experience. yes, there is hope. Since 1.5 year I have been in another project with keys/midi (main composer) and drummer, and along the way I found singer and bass player after searching internet like a maniac (bass player in Nepal...). of course time passes but finally we have put together our first song with all contributions, and made it public. And it is really awesome to hear everyone's contribution raises the quality and arrangement of the song. We have now 5-6 more songs close to final, and about 10 to work on by main composer.

https://soundcloud.com/hallofmountains/frozen
or
https://youtu.be/l4qw3N7RVV8
Progressiv rock | IN EXPERIENCE PROJECT
www.inexperienceproject.com
www.youtube.com/inexperienceproject
www.growingrecords.se
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 06:11
One problem I find is that 99% of musicians around here.... can't improvise. 

Sadly, they've all learnt tab. So you deviate slightly from the song and they stand there, completely lost. One of my friends has a band and every single bass player they've ever had just stands there, dumbstruck, if you play something slightly different. 

"No, let's not play "Freebird". "
"But I know all the tab.... " etc etc. ;-)

Well, it can be useful jamming along to a standard like Green Onions, but..... ;-))))

Pet hates for jam sessions - (1) massively experienced players doing a Charlie Parker and taking over (2) massively inexperienced players turning up with a Squier Strat, a 5W practice amp only knowing the tab for four songs (3) drummers who don't understand the need for other instruments to actually be heard over the drum kit (4) drummers who can't keep time etc etc etc. ;-)))))

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2017 at 06:19
It's even worse for weirdo musicians like myself. 

If you've heard some of my stuff, well, I tend to think "and now a solo in a Spanish Gypsy scale of G" or "let's have some doumbeks in here" - and you tend to get "let's not, Dave", looks. ;-))

The problem is that it's difficult enough to meet decent musicians, but even more difficult to meet decent musicians who think along your lines. 

Then, inevitably, someone says let's do a gig, let's all be famous, let's make some money, and I'm just too old for all that. I'd just like to play good music with other like minded weird people. ;-)

Also, I think that one problem is that if you like prog rock, you tend to have very high musical standards. You get a vocalist. They're *slightly* flat. The drummer is *slightly* out of time. Someone insists on having a boring bit in. It all gets very tiresome very quickly - unless you all think along the same lines. 

I also come up with some howling mistakes at times, especially on keyboards - I'm a sax player, really - I dabble with a lot of instruments. So that probably annoys everyone else. ;-))))

Edited by Davesax1965 - May 16 2017 at 06:22

Xsss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2017 at 01:36
I've been looking online for past two years trying to find musicians to form a project with, I'm not into this online collaboration crap.. I believe music should be made live.

Few tracks are recorded and lots of ideas banked but it would be great to recruit one person who writes too and share same influences, someone who would understand. 

Never lose hope!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 02:40
My wife said to me "The Treacle Tap in Macclesfield (it's a pub) are having a two weekly acoustic jam on Sundays, why not go down there with a sax ? "

And the problem is...... because it'd be dreadful. You'd have a number of amateurs who just play tab. It'd all be in keys difficult to play on sax - E / guitar puts you in F# on a tenor or C# on an alto and the chances of getting a tab player to transpose are nil. There would be absolutely no creativity, just repetition. 

That's what most musicians have become nowadays. 30 years ago, the whole idea was to become a proper improvising / composing musician, and that's what you aimed to be. You weren't really seen as a proper musician otherwise. 

Nowadays, anyone can walk into a guitar shop, come out with a reasonable quality instrument - and thank God for that, we couldn't - not at a reasonable price, anyway - and then take it home, learn a few songs by rote, play a gig and be *adored* (which is what it's now all about). Ask them to deviate, improvise or compose.... no chance. 

The skill has gone out of it. And the underlying reason for wanting to play. 

Post Reply Post Reply