FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUnforgettable concert moments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 19:00
#1: Gabriel 2nd album tour in Montreal, a friend and I were waiting near our seats waiting for the show to begin when a totally bald  guy passes near me, I said: ” Good evening Mister Gabriel! Any new musicians with you tonight?” He stopped, smiled, and listed the entire group and merrily waltzed away. My friend, to this day still mumbles” that was Peter Gabriel?!” whenever we meet. I knew he was bald because I had read that his then wife had an affair and felt bad about, so she told him and she chopped her hair off. Peter had shaved his head out of forgiveness, by this time the famed Genesis masks were a thing of the past.
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2017 at 19:06
Pat Travers in early December of 1978 at Toronto's Massey Hall, stealing the show from the boring headliners The Outlaws. PT's encore was "Hammerhead" from the then brand new album "Heat In The Street"; I remember him playing his guitar with his teeth like Hendrix, it was really cool.
                   I also saw Boston on their very first tour, in the summer of 1977 at the Ottawa Civic Centre, and had excellent seats, and behind the band was a gigantic fluorescent backdrop image of the debut album cover of theirs. They played quite well.
            ELP on their first concert in Ottawa, in Jan. of 1993, in a small, maybe 500 seat civic centre, and it was a great show. They opened their set with the Tarkus suite. Loved it when they did a three section jazz trio thing that was awesome, with Keith leading on piano.
                     I missed out on so many great concerts, like Triumvirat opening for BTO in Montreal in August, 1975, as I was a latecomer to prog.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 10:09
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Magnum - Redcar Coatham Bowl in the 80's, the famous turd in a glass incident. Halfway through the set the band stopped playing and said that someone had stolen a pedal off the stage. They refused to start again until it was returned. Needless to say it wasn't forthcoming. After about 10 minutes the crowd started to get restless and throw things. Plastic glasses of beer or warm yellow liquid seemed quite funny. But we suddenly decided we wanted to leave when a glass with a turd in it flew overhead. We headed for the exits.

Not nice. But very, very funny.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 11:10
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Great story, BaldFriede! Clap

This is how I looked back then, by the way:

tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 12:43
For me, non-prog. April, 1978 Little Feat at VaTech. Absolutely fabulous show, and to think a year later we lost Lowell George. I feel lucky to have gotten the chance to see them with Lowell...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 15:34
Another one was the first time I saw Jethro Tull, again in 1978.  Since Heavy Horses was their latest studio album (Bursting Out was just released), I thought the show was going entail a lot of acoustic and be pretty mellow.  Completely wrong?  They rocked my socks off.

My first ever big concert was the Tubes.  They put on a spectacular and elaborate show that simply blew my teenage mind.

Peter Gabriel in 1984 was also a highlight.

Allan Holdsworth in a small club in Eureka, California.  My jaw dropped at the first legato run and did not lift for the rest of the show.  Also saw Oregon there, when Collin Walcot was still in the band.  And caught John Scofield in an even smaller theater where both he and the bass player broke strings at the same time.  That was some hard jamming!

Much more recently, I caught Magma at a club in Seattle.  Incredible.  If I had seen them around the times of the others I have mentioned, it would have been a life changing event.  Even at my age and as jaded as I am, pretty darned impressive.

The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 22:53
Yes, on their "Close to the Edge" tour, Chicago Arie Crowne Theater,  September 22, 1972.

The "unknown" band The Eagles opened, and introduced the next band as "Our friends, The Yes!" 

Eagles were very, very good....Yes was sublime.  I hadn't even heard the LP "CTTE" when I saw them, so imagine my surprise when they launched into the title song!!  

I was impressed by the entire band, but particularly by Chris Squire, who was in constant motion onstage, dancing from one side of the stage to the other!!  He had a roadie who had to feed out & pull in his bass guitar chord!!  

Seeing Squire, thin as a rail, playing bass, singing AND playing bass pedals at the same time was just unreal!!  

This is exactly how Chris looked that evening....right down to the thigh-high suede boots!!  God, I loved that band! 

Edited by cstack3 - January 16 2017 at 22:54
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 09:08
My type of thread.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 09:51
Sitting on the couch one early evening, scratching balls while watching the news. The girl on the screen announced : The first 1000 ticket-holders
to show up at the auditorium will get the chance to attend Peter Gabriel rehearsal tonight (Up tour).

I ran, man, for the first time in years.

Full concert with intro by Bob Lepage. Changed place every 2 or 3 songs and saw the show from every angle (from front row to the highest seats). The official concert, a month later, was great but that one was pretty unbeatable.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 10:08
The thread's title "unforgettable moments" is not very suited to me since I have serious memory problems and often memories only come after some relevant deep thinking or meditating. So surely I've experienced many but they will only come if I get the proper state of mind.

This one was remarkable but not because of its glory, rather the opposite, its sadness. Carl Palmer Band (trio with Paul Bielatowicz and Simon Fitzpatrick) at some forgotten rather small German town close to the Dutch border perhaps around 2008. I was living in Belgium at the time and I drove there with a friend, having booked a cheap hotel in the village for the night.

The venue happened to be tiny, something like a town social center where to hold parties or small exhibitions and things like that. The audience turned out to be perhaps 200 at most. The guys played well and the audience was enthusiastic enough, but I couldn't help feel sad seeing the great Carl playing what seemed like a high-school gig.

When the concert was over we stayed around and after a good while, when most people had already left, a big van drove in front of the venue and we saw Carl himself and the other 2 musicians with a little help from a couple of more guys loading himself his drum kit and the other stuff into the van. You know, the star who had had three trailer trucks with their names on the roof moving the equipment around the world, now loading his own drums into a van. That was really sad for me, "this is so unfair" I couldn't help thinking.

A bit later we went to the booked hotel to sleep, and it was really a very humble hotel. Next morning I wake up before my friend and I go downstairs for some breakfast, they served just coffee and toasts with jam. After some minutes I see Carl Palmer coming into the breakfast room and ordering some coffee and start spreading some jam on his toasts. The room was nearly empty and nobody seems to know who he is.

I couldn't help going to my car and picking up a CD of Tarkus I had and came in again and approached him to tell him I had loved the concert the evening before and asked him to sign the CD sleeve. He nodded and signed it but he was clearly not in good mood so I opted for leaving to my table and not disturbing him anymore. He didn't look at me anymore nor made any sign of gratitude or anything.

In summary, I felt really sad seeing a guy who had been at the very top, rated several times as the best drummer in the world, traveled in dedicated jet planes, being driven in limousines, staying at the best hotels...  now having to unload and load his gear in a van himself, staying in a nameless village hotel where no one recognized him.... 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123