Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKonstrukto & Duko for Eclectic prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Konstrukto & Duko for Eclectic prog
    Posted: January 12 2017 at 15:38
Konstrukto (Arjen den Boer) - story, composition, game design, artwork, guitars, keys and drums
Duko (Jeroen Kurpershoek) - lead guitars, bass and production

Hailing from Nijmegen, The Netherlands, Konstrukto & Duko is quite a unique project.
Both coming from a hiphop background they have worked together for nearly 15 years and have with their Funk/Rap group Platvloers released 3 albums so far.
Initially Konstrukto's brainchild and solo-project, Schrootoorlog is a concept album based on a cynical science-fiction story about two brothers and their role in the politics of their country.
Apart from providing his instrumental skills, Duko has also produced and mixed the whole.
Schrootoorlog is a music album but also comes with a boardgame that is however yet to be released.
The sound of the album can be best described as Eclectic prog with heavy Rap influences, in Dutch.
It switches between narrative, rap, sung vocals and even rapped death-grunts.
Musically it contains influences of hiphop, classical music, fusion, metal, carribean music and some other styles.

The Schrootoorlog album has now officially been released, self-signed that is.

It is available from our own website: www.schrootoorlog.com
from bandcamp: https://schrootoorlog.bandcamp.com/releases

It is available on Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, iTunes and Google play
It can be streamed for free from our website and/or bandcamp, loose tracks are available for purchase as well as the entire album

Edited by StrUktO - January 24 2017 at 15:18
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 17:56
Originally posted by StrUktO StrUktO wrote:

Musically it contains influences of hiphop, classical music, fusion, metal, carribean music and some other styles.

Eclectic indeed in terms of styles, but I'm not sure these genres are really anything to do with Eclectic Prog. I'm certainly hearing the album as something which would fit on our site, but my own feeling is that this music would be more appropriate for the Crossover Prog sub genre rather than Eclectic Prog. That said, I'm not a collaborator, just someone who enjoys checking out new music and poking his nose in here on the forum! LOL

Let's wait and see what our proper collaborators make of it. Great concept by the way, and a fine album - really interested in seeing how the board game fits in with it! Thumbs Up
StrUktO View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2017 at 04:44
Thank you for your kind words!
I could argue that we also combine elements of symphonic prog, j/r fusion, progressive metal and heavy prog

That said, I would be over the moon to be included on this site in any category (maybe not prog-related haha), as you said, we'll see

A public test version of the game is available through here by the way: http://www.mediafire.com/file/j985u3lrm9ns6on/scrap_wars.zip

Edited by StrUktO - January 13 2017 at 04:48
StrUktO View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 15:54
Schrootoorlog is now available on Spotify, iTunes, Tidal, Deezer and Google Play
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2017 at 15:16
While the music does have experimental qualities, the eclectic team has chosen to reject it as it simply isn't prog. Fine rap/hip hop, but it isn't progressive rock. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
StrUktO View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 15:05
excuse me, but have you listened to the entire album? even the 35+ minute epic?
honestly I am baffled, I suspect a prejudice
there is so much more going on besides the hiphop elements, the album builds up and is in the end miles beyond any hiphop album released ever, except that there are rapped vocals present

would you call this hiphop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aNSbJaIVyY
StrUktO View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2017 at 15:24
we have sent the following email to the band submissions address, requesting a second opinion:

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have recently posted our band information as a suggestion for eclectic prog.
Perhaps we would not fit that mold, maybe we still do, I like to think so.
The eclectic prog team has however declined us, stating that we made a fine rap/hiphop album but not prog.
I disagree and that is the reason for this email.
The music we make is based on hiphop templates, the album however builds up in proginess in the end even resulting in a 35+ minute epic consisting of four parts.
On that point in the album there is hardly any hiphop left except for rapped vocals.
In its place come classical influences, mellotron laden pastoral passages, changes in tempi and differently voiced characters.
Our album had not been there had it not been for the influences of music suggested by your website.
Therefore it means the world to me to possibly be included, the project would come full circle.
Rap never had a place in progressive rock before now, some might even say it isn't a possible combination or even a form of heresy.
That is simply a matter of taste, for the progress of music is not found in nostalgia or conservatism.
Clearly we combined the genres.

Would you please be so kind to honestly review our album again?
If you can not find the prog in it and tell me so, I will not bother you again, until the next album maybe...

Here is the information we provided in the forums:
 Post Reply Post Reply