Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDevin Townsend fans!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Devin Townsend fans!!
    Posted: January 16 2017 at 03:55
So if I'm known here at all, it'll be as the John Zorn, The Residents and Zappa fan etc. who is a classical music fanatic and loves lots of avantgarde stuff but I also happen to be a Devin Townsend fan.

In fact, he would be in the top three of my favorite prog metal bands/artists and the emotion in his music has had a big impact. His music itself is quite diverse, (given; not as much as Zorn but I digress) he's touched upon industrial thrash metal, punk rock, ambient music, progressive rock, new age, progressive metal, a mix of country and folk and alternative rock. 

So, who else is a big fan?

I don't see enough conversation on him here unfortunately Cry

Edited by Thatfabulousalien - January 16 2017 at 04:00
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 03:57
I'm starting to put this again more lately, it's Dev's iconic album (beside SYL's City) for a reason! Hug

Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 10:49
I really enjoyed the last 3 SYL albums, but his solo (name brand) works never connected with me.
Watchmaker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 11:25
I've only listened to Addicted and I liked it a lot. I know he is joking with (most of) the songs but I admit I liked the pop tunes Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 14:53
Originally posted by Watchmaker Watchmaker wrote:

I've only listened to Addicted and I liked it a lot. I know he is joking with (most of) the songs but I admit I liked the pop tunes Big smile

Did you like Epicloud or Sky Blue? 

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 20:59
I've just started with him a few years ago. Mostly on the force of Terria's ratings. And I must say that album didn't dissapoint... I just really loved it, and has become one of my prog metal favourites. Then I got the Retinal Circus live album to get an overview of his career, and once again I found it wonderful. Still, I have not gotten more into his back discography, but I did get the albums he has relesed since then (Sky Blue/Z2; Casualties of Cool; Trascendence), and I did like them, but I believe mostly those albums sound like more of the same (well, the metal ones, Casualties of Cool is something else). Still, I guess I'll be wanting to get a bit more of his back catalogue, but I don't think I'll be getting them all (it's a bit too much).
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 22:23
I'm a fan of quite a bit of his work. I love the first two S.Y.L. albums as well as Ziltoid and Deconstruction out of his solo works. Haven't been impressed with much of his recent material though, although I have not heard his latest.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2017 at 23:47
My favorite Townsend albums are:

Ocean Machine
Ziltoid 1
Deconstruction
Ghost
Casualties of Cool
Infinity
Terria

Plus SYL:
Alien
City

Approve

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2017 at 20:57
Also, I might add that I'm no fan of grunting in metal. I have come to tolerate some grunting, and enjoy some of the best songs I have found with that element despite it's presence. However, Devin Townsend is the only artist whose grunting (in some cases) I actually enjoy. I feel they really fit the music and add to it, instead of just bothering.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 16:26
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Also, I might add that I'm no fan of grunting in metal. I have come to tolerate some grunting, and enjoy some of the best songs I have found with that element despite it's presence. However, Devin Townsend is the only artist whose grunting (in some cases) I actually enjoy. I feel they really fit the music and add to it, instead of just bothering.

Have you tried Casualties of Cool:

And Terria?

Cheers! Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 16:28
Oh, I see you've already heard Casualties, what about this one:

and bonus suggestion:

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2017 at 20:51
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Oh, I see you've already heard Casualties, what about this one:

and bonus suggestion:

No, not that one (Accelerated Evolution). Nor is it among the ones that have caught my attention, but I guess I'll pay attention to it next time I'm checking out what interests me from him. Ghost I remember reading some reviews, and it sounded interesting. Actually, I'm not really sure which ones to get next... perhaps the new Z2 live album, since it's got a selection of back catalogue songs that might complement the Retinal Circus one. But I still want to check which studio albums may be the more iconic ones, besides Terria, which I already have and love.

Edited by Dellinger - January 18 2017 at 20:53
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2017 at 12:22
Count me in.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2017 at 14:23

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2017 at 15:20

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2017 at 17:33
What do you guys think of Transcendence? 

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2017 at 21:02
Since I am rather new to DT, and mostly my knowledge of his back catalog is from Retinal Circus and Terria, I should have serious holes in my apreciation. However, I did find the album very pleasing (just as the Z2 and Sky Blue combo), but I have the impression his sound is becoming predictable, safe, and formulaic. It's easy to love, but I guess it doesn't have the same passion as it once did (just as is common with most artists that have been around long enough... if they are good enough to keep on doing quality stuff).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2017 at 21:30

Since I am rather new to DT, and mostly my knowledge of his back catalog is from Retinal Circus and Terria, I should have serious holes in my apreciation. However, I did find the album very pleasing (just as the Z2 and Sky Blue combo), but I have the impression his sound is becoming predictable, safe, and formulaic. It's easy to love, but I guess it doesn't have the same passion as it once did (just as is common with most artists that have been around long enough... if they are good enough to keep on doing quality stuff).

I do tend to agree to some degree but I think the first half of Transcendence good. I just hope that his next project (A "symphony" according to him, called "The Moth") will be a step in a new direction for his career.

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2017 at 10:36
Transcendence was more good DTP songs with Anneke ... his record label will probably make him play that sound until we stop buying it in order to fund his other works, and he'll probably keep doing so. They make good songs and each Anneke album has a bit of a different feel to it. Addicted was the most fun, but Epicloud is actually my favorite of the 4. Agreed that they don't necessarily break new ground but Devin's broke a lot of new ground already so I don't mind if he just writes good songs sometimes.

My fav DT albums are Decon and Infinity. After that it's hard to pick. Of the albums I own by him (almost all), none are bad, Accelerated Evolution is maybe the least interesting, or z2 (just didn't come close to the magic of the first). Casualties has a special place in my heart.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2017 at 20:39
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

I do tend to agree to some degree but I think the first half of Transcendence good. I just hope that his next project (A "symphony" according to him, called "The Moth") will be a step in a new direction for his career.

A Symphony, that sounds interesting. I wonder if it's just in name or also in structure... and also, if he would be going totally orchestra, or do it all with a rock/metal band, or mix it up. I guess it would be interesting to do something with the structure of a symphony but all with rock instruments.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>