Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Motorsport Thread 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 01:37
WOW. Rahal with the double victory in Detroit. 
I see Dixon has moved into 1st place overall and Sato is now in 3rd place. Holy sh*t! He's on quite a tear right now. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 04:11
I'm not a fan of Rahal but the boy can really drive. I'm not surprised that his team wins as father Bobby has fielded his own team for years and knows what it takes to win.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 16:20
I'm pretty neutral, I just never thought he was any good. He shocked me with his 4th and 5th place finishes these last 2 seasons
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 16:35
I think it's safe to say that when it comes to Indy's royal sons, Graham > Marco.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 16:26
I never would've thought so, and personally I preferred Marco. I think in terms of family royalty no way Rahal can touch Andretti BUT Graham absolutely has taken the upper hand over Marco. Personally neither has been terribly great :(  
For American racing hopes I kinda have my money on Josef Newgarden (RHR was already pretty old when we won his title)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 17:40
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

I never would've thought so, and personally I preferred Marco. I think in terms of family royalty no way Rahal can touch Andretti BUT Graham absolutely has taken the upper hand over Marco. Personally neither has been terribly great :(  
For American racing hopes I kinda have my money on Josef Newgarden (RHR was already pretty old when we won his title)

Andretti is synonymous with racing, but you have to admit, the name Rahal is legendary in American open wheel history, and Graham is doing okay with a team that isn't Ganassi/Penske/Andretti.  Hell, Marco's teammates are winning multiple Indy 500's and championships and what has he done?  A couple of wins in over ten years.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 17:50
Yeah Marco has been a let down. Unfair perhaps but with that name...cmon you just expect better results
But yeah I like Newgarden, doubt he's a title contender but I do think he can break top 3, and hey Indy is so volatile and even, who knows
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 18:43
Newgarden could be a title contender, but I'm not sure about this year.  To be honest, though, it's so wide open right now and we're almost halfway through the season.  The parity this year is unreal.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 00:56
Its crazy every year, I am being cautious on purpose but technically there is no reason Newgarden can't win it all, though quite unlikely. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 11:52
For example, one 13th place finish and Newgarden is now in 7th. There are 49 points, less than a race win, between 7th and 1st. Indycar is nuts!
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 16:30
Wow. Lewis with the Grand Chelem. He truly owns Canada. Seems like another fairly standard result. Ocon with another point finish, what a start to his career. Season may go to the last race and literally be decided by a position or two between Lewis and Seb, I could see it being that tight
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 08:02
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Andretti is synonymous with racing, but you have to admit, the name Rahal is legendary in American open wheel history, and Graham is doing okay with a team that isn't Ganassi/Penske/Andretti.  Hell, Marco's teammates are winning multiple Indy 500's and championships and what has he done?  A couple of wins in over ten years.
Marco's teammates contend for and win Indy and he constantly qualifies at the back of the grid. If he was not an Andretti, his career would have ended 3 seasons ago. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 16:51
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Marco's teammates contend for and win Indy and he constantly qualifies at the back of the grid. If he was not an Andretti, his career would have ended 3 seasons ago. 

Completely agree.  But, in a way, it's still a great thing to have an 'Andretti' in the field, no matter what.  It's needed.  Just too bad he's not that great.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2017 at 00:08

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Completely agree.  But, in a way, it's still a great thing to have an 'Andretti' in the field, no matter what.  It's needed.  Just too bad he's not that great.

Yup, both those statements are 100% correct
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 01:50
Totally missed it, but Will Power won in Texas, rounded out by Kanaan and Pagenaud in a race where only 8 finished apparently!
Sato finished 10th, holding his place of 3rd in the standings. Wow goes to show what a change in team can do.
Rahal continues his hot streak with a 4th
There's now a 50 point spread amongst the top 7! Indy really has created the most egalitarian league there is. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 04:03
A come from behind win for Porsche at Le Mans and Chevy loses on the last lap at the last chicane before the main straight from a puncture. Unbelievable!

Edited by SteveG - June 21 2017 at 04:03
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 18:20
And now Mikhail Aleshin might miss the Indy race at Road America this weekend because he's stuck in France due to "immigration issues".  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 09:30
So, now the US is keeping out Russians? That's a twist! Wink
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 13:39
Congrats to Ricciardo on the win, as as Bottas and Stoll, which makes probably the most interesting podium we'll see. Ocon keeps on and.....Alonso finishes 9th!? Its a miracle.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 18:02
Baku was a lot more interesting than I expected, albeit for the wrong reasons. LOL

I had another fun outing at Sonoma yesterday for the Cup race.  Perfect weather, free tickets from my wife's uncle and some friends who appreciate racing as much as I do made it a great day!  I was hoping to see Kyle Busch break into the win column for this season, but I had to settle for a 5th place while Harvick dominated the second half to win his first of the season.  Also saw Dale Jr. race for the last time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 9>