FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Motorsport Thread 2017

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 02:13
Congrats to Josef Newgarden, the 2017 Indycar Champion! Clap

Perhaps not the most consistent year, but 4 wins and he did what he needed to when it mattered most. Held off Dixon, (who I may put as the 2nd best of his generation, Dario takes #1 for me) but yes no small task to hold off Dixon, and a late season rally from Pagenaud who aint too shabby himself. By my math, a 4th place finish for Newgarden, just 2 spots lower, would've cost him the title so he really did manage to just pull it off. 
And can't lie, always glad to see the (rare) American Indy champion.

On that note, 3 other Americans managed to finish in the top 9, and a congrats to Takuma Sato on his career best 8th place finish in the standings. 
All else is pretty standard, good to see Helio still damn steady. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 02:15
Yes, Lewis is on quite the tear. 
With the current points system it aint over yet for Seb, BUT he does need to stop the bleeding and rack up a couple of wins now, otherwise I do fear it's slipping away. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2017 at 04:47
A very stiff looking bunch of Penske drivers after the Sonoma race, except for Newgarden, naturally. Can't cotton to team orders? Too bad. Racing, especially with Penske, is a big sponsorship driven business. Get over it, and look to next season.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 17:00
Congrats to Josef Newgarden!  Great first season with Penske, and he proved he IS the next American superstar.  I hope Rossi can get up there and challenge, too, and I suspect he will.  
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 17:24
Glad to see Newgarden take the crown! (totally missed the race though)

Still weird to have the indycar series over in mid-September, when the other two biggies are right in the thick of it. 

Edited by Man With Hat - September 22 2017 at 17:25
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 17:27
I remember when it ended in August for a couple of years.  
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2017 at 21:09
lol I don't!

It's probably just short compared to the other ones
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 08:31
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

With the current points system it aint over yet for Seb, BUT he does need to stop the bleeding and rack up a couple of wins now, otherwise I do fear it's slipping away. 
Agree 100%. This is Seb's championship to lose and he's doing a good job.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2017 at 16:33
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

lol I don't!

It's probably just short compared to the other ones

Yeah, it still is, but it's better than in 2014 and 2015, where they both ended August 30th.  Crazy early!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2017 at 18:22
Kyle Busch wins his second straight!  That's four on the year and a championship on the line!

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 10:11
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Agree 100%. This is Seb's championship to lose and he's doing a good job.

Oof, yeah it's not looking so great now. It's Vettel he can easily run off 3 wins but even if he did, Hamilton now HAS to have a bad result. Which I guess he's due, unlikely to make the whole season without one DNF but Seb certainly is in a hole. 
Those 2 DNFs killed him, and came at the absolute worst time as he's already sliding a bit back. Ouch. Well, if anyone can do it, it's him 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2017 at 18:08
The F1 season is getting frustrating, the NASCAR season is quickly getting frustrating and the Indycar season is over.  I might only have Supercars left after next week. LOL
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2017 at 15:01
Ah I missed a week's post oops. 
Was gunna post how the season is over, 66 point gap with 3 races left...Seb needs all 3 wins and at least one Lewis DNF even then it's quite unlikely

BUT it seems the Mexican GP has just ended, Lewis finishes 9th, but Seb only 4th. My need for a comment is naught, it's now officially over. 

Congrats to Lewis!! 2017 champion and #4 for him! Clap 
Truly rare territory here, when you're with names like Prost, Fangio, and Shcumacher that's as good company as you can have. 
I like to be fair, I've been a tad hard on Lewis before, not for lack of skill, but ya know his cutting and running at competition,Merc being SO dominant a car and still managing to lose one to Nico, his past of collisions and personality which really pissed me off, (granted that means nada to racing) but he went toe to toe with Seb, and won. Had one helluva year, 18 races with no DNF thus far...quite a year! 

Also 2nd all time for wins and podiums, already #1 for poles. No other way to put it, he is an all time great and will go down as such. Also now the greatest UK driver in F1 historyClap

Congrats to Max on another win, Bottas and Kimi for rounding out the podium, Ocon on yet another point finish (talk about consistency), Lance Stoll and Kevin Magnussen also with point finishes. 

Really impressed with Ocon, someone that the big teams should keep an eye on. Especially since I feel Kimi really really needs to be dropped now.

Edited by JJLehto - October 29 2017 at 15:14
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 04:16
Yes, Congrats to Hamilton. He is definitely in the Fangio, Clark, Stewart, Senna and Schumacher category with so much more to come.
I'm a bit disappointed at the lack of wheel to wheel competition in F1 with the new rule changes, but some of that maybe down to Vettel going out early in several Grands Prix. I expect Ferrari to be better next year, and hopefully, Seb too.

Agree with you on Kimi. I would have liked to see Alonso in his seat but c'est la vie. 

Edited by SteveG - October 30 2017 at 14:24
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 12:45
Yeah same to all that. I was "lucky" enough to grow up in the Schumacher era where exciting wheel to wheel racing was a rare treat, great years here and there but that's it. Sure wish I could've been alive in the 80s to see Prost/Senna. 

Painful indeed Alonso had to live out his final years like this, I mean I love Kimi, he's always been one of my top 2 drivers but it's clear he just doesn't have the step anymore to hang with the top tier. I think Fernando could've still hung but ah well. 

Ferrari does seem to be on the upswing, which makes it a bit more sad they will keep Kimi hanging around I think it's about time someone like Hulk or Perez got their chance at the top. 
True, Lewis is only 32 crazy he's been around forever now.  Certainly does have a lot of success ahead still, quite possibly more titles. Not sure he can make a run at 7 but will be interesting. 

Fun fact, years ago when they were entering the sport I said either he or Vettel will have realistic chances to make or even break Schumi's record. Granted I also thought Alonso could. STILL am bitter over the fact he's a collective handful of points away from being a 5 time champion and a few different turns of the career who knows. 
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2017 at 14:06
I'd say Alonso has been one of the fastest drivers of the past couple of seasons considering the state of McLaren. Hopefully the Renault engine will bring them at least a bit closer to the top.

Ferrari will probably keep Kimi until he decides to retire. He's the perfect teammate for Vettel (much like Bottas has been for Hamilton), takes good points consistently but probably won't be challenging him for the championship.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 17:19
Well, the 2017 racing season is pretty much over, and I'm not that thrilled with any of the champions, not that they're not deserving.  I'm just not a fan of any of the major champions (maybe Newgarden being the exception.)  And Jim Nabors passed away today... Cry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789