Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUncomfortable Concert Moments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 12:59
A very pissed Linda Thompson performing with Fairport Convention at their 1981 annual reunion fest. at Broughton Castle.   Her marriage to Richard was breaking up and it was excrutiating to behold.  The band tried to ignore her...
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 15:26
Not prog, but Cat Stevens was performing in Cleveland in the early-mid 70s and the audience wouldn't quiet down. He asked them politely 3x to be quiet. The crowd for the most part ignored him, the "shhhhh!" was as loud as the noisemakers, and he walked off mid-set and did not return. No refunds.
Also, in Akron OH, said triple bill: Mr. Big, Gentle Giant and Renaissance. This was around 1976. Mr. Big, an act no one wanted to see, played an overlong set and then came out for an unrequested encore and played 3 more songs despite boos. Gentle Giant finally came out after a long set change and blew us all away. Another superlong set change and Renaissance takes the stage. They played one song and some guy with a suit and tie came out to the mic and announced that Akron had a curfew and the concert was over.
Luckily, I got to see Renaissance that fall at a now defunct unique revolving round theater called The Front Row. They were great.
PROGMATIC
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 15:51
Saw City Boy open for Nektar in '78 or '79 (after Roye Abrighton had left), and boy did they blow. My pals and I were chafing at the bit for them to be over and relinquish the stage to who we really came to see, but their set seemed endless. And those stage antics were right out of some boys school production. At one point, their lead singer was taking exaggerated steps across the stage with his thumbs hooked into his suspenders while we were all dying a thousand deaths. Intolerable, it was. I heard once that Peter Hammill had something to do with them, but I couldn't see why. Just awful.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 16:55
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

A very pissed Linda Thompson performing with Fairport Convention at their 1981 annual reunion fest. at Broughton Castle.   Her marriage to Richard was breaking up and it was excrutiating to behold.  The band tried to ignore her...

Apparently their relationship was so bad at one point that while they were still performing together she would intentionally trip Richard as he walked out on stage. I do believe they eventually became civil towards each other though(way after the divorce though).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 02 2017 at 17:20
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2017 at 17:59
Another concert in Cleveland that I just recalled. The only time I ever saw Roy Harper, back in the '80s, he was playing at a small club on the city's west side.
About two songs into the show some drugged up chick walked onto stage and began talking over the show; security was nowhere to be found and Harper was fit to be tied.
Finally fans made enough noise that somebody got the ditz off the stage, but then a few moments later Harper suffered a horrid nosebleed and the show ended early. Roy's nose wouldn't stop bleeding, and they wheeled him off on a gurney to a nearby hospital.
As they took him from the building, fans were yelling at him because he hadn't autographed their CDs. It was awful. He never returned to Ohio as far as I know. Who can blame him?
PROGMATIC
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 02:55
Roy Harper was always good value for uncomfortable moments - for example, I saw him 'moon' at the audience back in 83.  I didn't see it but apparently at Glastonbury in 81 he had an on-stage punch up with Ginger Baker.
zonefish View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 14:03
Elton John at the Cricket Wireless/SleepTrain/Coors Amphitheater (or whatever the hell they're calling it these days) near San Diego about 7 years ago...opens with Funeral for a friend...gets about 3 minutes into it...stops playing and excuses himself to leave the stage to evacuate his bowels (he admitted it!). He returned about 10 minutes later and started the concert again.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2017 at 21:36
Originally posted by zonefish zonefish wrote:

Elton John at the Cricket Wireless/SleepTrain/Coors Amphitheater (or whatever the hell they're calling it these days) near San Diego about 7 years ago...opens with Funeral for a friend...gets about 3 minutes into it...stops playing and excuses himself to leave the stage to evacuate his bowels (he admitted it!). He returned about 10 minutes later and started the concert again.

OK, this one wins the contest.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 02:10
Seen dozens of uncomfortable concertsAngry, most of them due to uncomfortable seatsOuch or highly f**ked up sonic issues Pinch(sometimes the hall/arena, sometimes the PA going to high), and generally it's not just for momentsSleepy, but for the duration of the event. Tongue

But I guess the thread title mean embarrassing moments.Big smile

Plenty of those as well, but some of the examples written by you all are unbeatable.

Maybe some other day.

CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 10:52
Uncomfortable Concert Moments, part 2:
At an improvised music concert, two avant-garde dancers which made a remarkably vivid impersonation of mentally disabled people...
It really, really made me uneasy, not because they were doing something obscene or scandalous, but because they were doing something very realistic, like from a scene from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 16:01
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

At an improvised music concert, two avant-garde dancers which made a remarkably vivid impersonation of mentally disabled people...
It really, really made me uneasy, not because they were doing something obscene or scandalous, but because they were doing something very realistic, like from a scene from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

How did the rest of the audience react? Because the way you described it made it sound hilarious, when it clearly isn't!
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 16:24
During Rick Wakeman solo performing on grand piano of a selection of exits from his own and Yes careers (and a few funny stories and jokes in between the songs) a couple of middle-aged Belgians sitting just next to my seat didn't stop firing their cameras, capturing dozens of god-knows-what subtle nuances of RW performance.

After long minutes of patient sufferance (that seemed like eternity) I finally decided to exercise my French, with the good result of stopping that madness but which sadly left us all a little uneasy for the rest of the evening.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2017 at 23:33
Now that Wakeman is being mentioned, I remember seeing on a DVD that, besides the concert, he made speeches, and in one of them he told how he was drunk for one of his concerts. I guess I'll put a Youtube page I found before writing my very rusty memory of the anecdote (didn't really see it again right now to re-tell it, but it will be much funnier for anyone to watch it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxoTiXx3w2U

Now I don't remember the thing correctly, but he was drunk since before the concert, and he got the idea of spicing things up a bit and changing the beginning track. So he went to the brass ensamble and told them to begin with some song, and then he went to another part of the band and told them to begin with a different song, and I think he went with three different songs. Once the concert began, everyone was with something different, and since it was three parts, each part saw that the other was playing something else and assumed they were wrong and tried to switch to the right song, but at that time another part of the band had already switched, and they went so for a while. There was something of a pipe organ on that stage that came from the floor, and Wakeman thought of using it, but something went wrong and he came bleeding or something. And what's even weirder, next day he was handed a review of the concert, and the reviewer gave it a great one, saying that he usually didn't like Wakeman's music, but the show was an eye opener, that he began with a pastiche of whatever that was brilliant, and the final scene with the blood... however, assuming it was all intentional for the show.
Skip View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 03:07
I think for me the problem is most shows are just so crowded. You always struggle to see band in question unless you are right at the front. But hey still not complaining. Recently Saw "The Skints" In a small venue in Southampton and it was just fantastic about 200 people in total. Larger shows defiantly get crowded.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 04:26
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

How did the rest of the audience react? Because the way you described it made it sound hilarious, when it clearly isn't!

Well, most of the audience was made of musicians which knew the two dancers: they looked like they were to used to that kind of performance and were not disturbed.
I, too, had already seen these two dancers, but their previous performances were less creepy.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 08:34
In 40 plus years and after seeing 100s of gigs I can't recall any uncomfortable moments that relate to Prog bands. 

At Glastonbury one year an old guy (who I believed at the time was Mick Abrahams because he played quite a few Tull numbers, but perhaps not) was jamming away on a battered guitar in the Croissant Neuf cafe (this was in the era before it had its own stage at the festival) when an 'unkempt youth' interrupted him and asked if he could "have a go". The look of bemused dejection on the old codgers face when the kid proceeded to strum a poor rendition of 'Wonderwall' was priceless...

...as a one-time band manager I've experienced a number of  toe-curling moments that I can now look back on with amusement. 

At a gig in Camden Pub (the "Dev" for those that know it) our bass player was tasked with driving the van full of gear up from deepest Hampshire while the drummer acted as his co-pilot and navigator. Meanwhile I transported the lead guitarist and a couple of hangers-on and the rest of the band travelled by train. Unfortunately being not an untypical bass player and drummer pairing, they got lost en-route so we were left sitting in the pub drinking ale while we waited for them to arrive. Normally at pub gigs there isn't much time to grab a drink before going on stage so I was unaware that our lead singer had downed several pints of Carlsberg Special Brew by the time the hapless pair had managed to find the venue. She was so pissed (physically, literally, figuratively and metaphorically) by the time she took to the stage that whatever she was singing was completely incomprehensible and was leaning so heavily on the mic'stand to save herself from toppling over into the audience that she managed to bend it in half. After that I banned them from drinking before going on stage.

In my capacity as elected chauffeur, when driving the some band members back from another London gig in the early hours of the morning I put Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory in the CD player... as the hypnotist counted backwards to put Nicolas into a hypnotic trance I pretended to fall asleep at the wheel. I don't understand why I was the only one in the car who found that funny, some people just don't have a sense of humour I guess. But perhaps nearly killing all of us a few weeks earlier when my car aqua-planned when hitting a flood on the M25 may have had something to do with it.

On another occasion we were booked to play for a shop opening in a Southampton shopping mall. Having obtained the necessary permission from the local council we were informed that we'd have to stop if they received three complaints about noise levels. The order to stop came halfway through the first song, it transpired that two of the complaints had been delivered before the band had played a single note and were sent by the owner of a rival shop.

However most of the really embarrassing moments came from bands we were supporting or who were supporting us.

Such as the headline act we were booked to support going on stage in a drunken stupor and deciding that for that night only instead of being a sludge metal band called Lab Rat they'd be a southern rawk band called LA Brat. Attempts by the singer to fake an american drawl while the rest of the band murdered bog-standard 12-bar blues were too much for the audience who, rather than waste energy in booing, simply left. Once our gear was packed away, so did we.

Noticing that several drunk members of Children of Bodom were leching after my then 14 year old daughter at a gig where we were booked to support Edenbridge I quickly stepped between them and whisked her away to meet Sabine Edelsbacher.

When supporting Christian Death at the Underworld a member of one of the other support bands rounded on us at the end of the gig and accused us of stealing one of their guitar head units. The more we professed our innocence the more irate he became until he was practically screaming that he'd call the police if we didn't give it back. Then one of his band mates sneaked up behind him, placed the aforementioned amp at his feet and tapped him on the shoulder, needless to say he fell over it as he turned around...

When supporting Greek metallers Rotting Christ at the same venue our lead singer decided to wear a slinky long black dress that she'd purchased specially that day only to discover that under stage lighting it was completely see through. She quickly ran to the ladies toilets with my wife in tow so they could hastily cover her, ah-hem, 'embarrassment' with gaffa tape. 

At a gig in Southampton we were supporting one band who turned out to be just a duo playing to a rhythm backing track stored on a DAW that suddenly developed a bad case of stage fright early on in their set. We just helplessly looked on as the guitarist fumbled with leads and berated the technology with a foul-tempered barrage. In the end he decided that he was unable to continue so we played two sets that night.

At another gig we'd somewhat reluctantly agreed to take part in a "battle of the bands" just for the expediency of securing what was for us a pretty high-profile gig. One of the other bands playing were miming to a backing track and that too inevitably and predictably packed up midway through their set leaving them standing on silent stage like lemons, but that wasn't the embarrassing bit this time, it was just tear-inducing-ly funny. At the 'cheer for each band' voting at the end of the evening it was clear that from the popular vote it was a tight two-horse race between ourselves and a terrific band called Ordinary Psycho (who were probably the closest anyone ever got to being Prog Gothic), but for reasons known only to the organisers neither of us were crowned the winners, but even that isn't the uncomfortable bit. Nor was it when most of the audience proceeded to boo as the winners were presented with their prize, even though I kinda felt sorry for them because despite the prize money, it was only supposed to be "a bit of fun" to engage the audience with four bands they'd probably never heard of before. Even listening to the winners boasting backstage that they had been told they were going to win before the gig had started was neither uncomfortable nor particularly surprising given how close-knit the Goth community can be. What made that gig so uncomfortable for us was we found it practically impossible to get gigs in the Goth scene after that. Fortuitously, as a direct consequence we became less gothic and more metal just as female-fronted metal became the "in thing".

Edited by Dean - February 10 2017 at 09:05
What?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 08:44
Originally posted by Skip Skip wrote:

I think for me the problem is most shows are just so crowded. You always struggle to see band in question unless you are right at the front. But hey still not complaining. Recently Saw "The Skints" In a small venue in Southampton and it was just fantastic about 200 people in total. Larger shows defiantly get crowded.
It was about the same number of folks for an Ultravox show I went to at San Diego State Univ. back in the '80s. It was uncomfortable that so few people showed to watch this band at, I feel, the height of its productivity.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 08:52
I saw Atomic Rooster in 82 or 83 at Newcastle City Hall with about 12 people in the audience, the rest of the crowd were there for the headliner, Spider, and stayed in the bar for AR's set. Quite embarrassing for such a great band. They ignored the crowd size and performed a great set.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2017 at 07:07
Saw Robert Fripp at UC San Diego in 1983 (when I was an undergrad); just him doing 2+ hours of Frippertronics (really amazing stuff at the time, I thought). He would play for several minutes at a clip and then wax poetically as only he can in between musical offerings. About 1 hour in, one of his narrative interludes was about an emotional break-up he recently had with a girlfriend; it really broke him up and he began to cry. I was only in my early 20's then (less mature and understanding than I am now), but it was a bit uncomfortable for me to see this "guitar god" show an entirely human side of himself to everyone. He was able to regain his composure and continue the awesome show for more than an hour more...
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2017 at 07:22
I got kicked in the head with a size 12 boot by some stage-diving t**t at a Megadeth gig circa 1987. That was fairly uncomfortable. Also sent my glasses flying. I was lucky that they were caught and returned to me by an astute mosher, otherwise they would have been stamped to bits.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>